Parking *******

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Shame on you! Dirty minds!

I meant do you leave the top down on your SRT when you park it outside in a lot? I do it all the time and so far I've never had any trouble (Other than a bird crapped on the center console one time. Sure glad it missed the speaker).

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't have the courage to leave the car out of sight yet! :crazy:

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my daughter to guitar. Very safe and secured area. Convertible top was down.

After she was settled in with her teacher, I walked back to check on the car. All was fine.

Walked back again 5 minutes later. Still fine.

Finally gave up, went back and sat on the curb next to it in the dark waiting for lessons to complete.

Some kid with a Fender over his shoulder walked out of a lesson and asked "Hey, Lady is that your car? Man, that is cool."

My hand tightened on my Beretta.

It is a difficult car to leave anywhere. I sit in restaurants close to the window.

Sleep with one eye open, clutching your pillow tight. - Metallica

Alice

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a car. Most people are respectful. Don't park in close taking 2 spaces. Park far enough away to avoid door dings, but still only take one spot. Most folks think it's cool that you drive your car and that you're not so hung up on it - they like to look at it and check it out. Being humble gets other people to help you watch your stuff..... Being arrogant amkes you a target.

Granted I didn't do this at a nightclub (alcohol ALWAYS brings out the stupidity in people) but normal daylight errands - do it.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
I agree that most folks are respectful, but it is not most folks that concerns most of us. It is that small percentage of them that will do the most heinous acts. Yes it is just a car as a 48 foot Formula is just a boat in its purest sense, but it is a car that brings out emotions from most everyone it touches. Most of them are good but some are not. If you leave it up to chance, well then you will get what chance has to offer.

I will bring the car to a place that I am comfortable with either top or top down, if not then I settle for my daily cruiser which I enjoy as well.

Just my ** and .02..........

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I park ******* all the time. I always park as far away as possible from other cars, or, if possible, park where I am close to my car.

I've only ever had one issue. I was eating in a restaurant, and heard a car alarm going off. It sounded like my Viper (mother seals aren't the only ones that can distinguish their baby's cry from the rest of the herd.) I went out to investigate.

My car's alarm was set off by a girl who said that she wanted to sit in the car and get her picture taken by her friend with a cell phone camera. She said she figured it would be ok to sit in the driver's seat, and get her picture taken. She opened the door and set off the alarm. I was surprised by her attitude, and glad of the alarm. Even though I believe that she had no evil intent, I don't like the idea of strangers poking around in my car without my knowledge.

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When light shopping (15 minutes) or light dining (lots of windows) I will leave the top down. When Chicago summers arrive everyone is so happy, you feel safe going *******.

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a 67 chevelle SS and would not park it anyplace for a long time. The one time I had to run into a store and left the car for about 4 min.. I got BURNED they keyed the car all around the body, $1800.00 in damage I did nothing to deserve this. There always will be aszholes out there and
if they have the chance they will take it.

Also have other stores.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai:

Had a similar experience. Pulled up in front of the kids' school; this teenage girl jumped in the car. She wanted to know what it felt like to sit in a Viper.

She seemed surprised that I was displeased. She seemed more surprised by how I expressed that displeasure.

It is an amazing car, but not as amazing as the society around it.

Alice

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kai:

Had a similar experience. Pulled up in front of the kids' school; this teenage girl jumped in the car. She wanted to know what it felt like to sit in a Viper.

She seemed surprised that I was displeased. She seemed more surprised by how I expressed that displeasure.

Alice

How did you express that displeasure? 3 rds, 2 to the chest 1 to the head?

sal3coach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Always put the seatbacks all the way forward if you have to park under a tree...

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai:

Alice

How did you express that displeasure? 3 rds, 2 to the chest 1 to the head?

LOL

"Hemotox" Isn't that shorthand for lead poisoning? ;)

Folks should know better than to mess with a gal who's got a Viper and a Beretta. :2tu:

HiYoSilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We regularly park ******* at waterside restaurants with the precautions mentioned above. Be sure to use ONE SPACE, comfortable away from the rest of the pack.

It is extra reassuring to have the Windbaffle attached to the rollbars with a combination lock on the security tether (and windows up.) People are less likely to reach in for your radar detector, hats, shades, etc.

By the way, the Emergency Brake handle is a great place to stack your Viper hat(s). Just put the rear adjustment strap of the hats over the handle.

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have owned several convertibles and never park and leave with the top down. It only takes a few seconds to put it back up and the peace of mind is well worth it. :cool:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of people just getting in your car and sitting in it, try this: During the delivery ceremony of the VCA SRT-10's in Dallas, my wife and I were standing by the car after just being handed the keys. Hadn't even sat in it yet. So then some, ahem, ***** opens the driver's door and climbs in. She puts her hands on the steering wheel and pretends she is driving it. We are so completely stunned that we are speechless. One of my fellow Kansas City members didn't have that problem: She unloaded on this idiot with both barrels and sent her packing. Oh yeah, and the ***** was a VIPER OWNER (or guest of one) at VOI!!

Despite that, I regularly leave it with the top down and haven't had any problems to date. Just with other Viper owners. :rolleyes: