Part # for OEM Battery

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt,
Who ever told you that you had to cut off the top terminals is VERY WRONG!?

PIT VPR,
The Mopar Viper Battery - Part #4709386 MSRP $95.00
It is made by EXIDE for Dodge Vipers.
BURNOUT.gif

PIT VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have the Dodge part # for the OEM battery for a 1998 RT/10. My dealer can not find a part number other than one for a combination top/side post battery that has to have the top posts cut off to fit into the battery tray. Also, would appreciate any suggestions on non-OEM batteries that will fit into battery tray.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no "correct" replacement Mopar battery for a Viper. DC says to cut off the top terminals. I also found the Mopar replacements to be really bad, so I wound up going to a Douglas. It fit right, was priced right, and has a 2 year free replacement.

PIT VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt, I had the same warranty experience. Unfortunately, the replacement battery leaked around the posts after they were cut off and it eventually died. I gave my dealer the part number that Viper Wizard suuplied and guess what -- it was the same side/top post replacement battery on which the dealer had to cut the top posts off. The dealer checked all of his parts information and verfied that Dodge does not offer the OEM battery for sale; rather, they describe the side/top post battery as OEM. Unfortunately, my Viper has sat dead for the last three months waiting for a new battert I tried the Optima alternative, but I couldn't come close to squeezing it onto my battery compartment. Wish Dodge would offer a true OEM replacement.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I simply walked into a local auto part store.. Went to the battery rack and opened up the "battery book" that hangs on the wall. Picked out the correct battery that was displayed for a '98 Dodge Viper GTS, paid for it (I think about 70 bucks) and installed it myself.

Gerald

OP
OP
V

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt & PIT VPR,
I'm looking at the Battery #4709836 and it dose not have top posts on it! I have used this battery for years, and it is OEM!
Something is wrong with the Dealers Info? [I'm not saying that they don't know what they are doing.] I've sold almost 50 of them. When I order that part ## this is what I get.
I can't ship one to you. If you want, ask your Dealer if they would like to call me, maybe I can help?

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with VIper Wizard...About 4 months ago I ordered and OEM
battery for my 96 RT/10, and it came with NO top posts...I can check my bill of sale (which is at home now of course) and be double sure that the numbers are the same...But do believe, the side mount only batteries are out there...

Tomer

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wizard....my local dealer had to get a warranty replacement when I had my '96 GTS. I have known these guys a long time. They were instructed that Mopar does not offer a side terminal only battery for the Viper...only batteries with both posts. They were instructed further that to avoid contact with the frame rail to cut off the top posts and silicone over the stubs. I thought it was nuts. Maybe things have changed in the past couple years. Anyhow, after two or three bad replacements I switched to a Douglas at the recommendation of friends in the auto parts biz. I had no more troubles with that car and batteries. My 2000 GTS is still on it's original battery.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte