Partsrack 3 inch in/out Metal Honeycomb Substrate Cats - Anyone using?

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for info on the Partsrack 3 inch in/out Metal Honeycomb Substrate Cats.

1) Are these bolt in?
2) What about passing the sniff test in NJ? Anyone have experience with this? California would also be a good comparison as it is probably tighter than NJ.
3) HP gains over stock? I am looking to add a 3" Corsa to the this setup.
4) Sound Increase with new CATS and Corsa?
5) Any other issues with using these? Heat shielding? etc.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Bandit400

ntmatter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had mine welded in, though you could bolt them, presumably. I didn't get them emmissions tested due to where I live, but you can't smell any sort of fumes or anything. Dyno testing will be done in March - they feel a bit more peppy but that could just be the cold winter air.

They are definitely louder, but in a good way. Adds more of a bass thump to the idle note. The main reason I got them was for heat reduction. With these cats I can sit in traffic for 30 minutes, get out, and put my hand on the side sill.

A

flossm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bandit, I have the exact set up you are looking at. High flow cats, Corsa cat back system. Sound is very strong, will keep the heads turning...SWEET..Heat on side sills GONE !!!!!!!! That is why I did it. Also welded in,didn't cost much and is easier.Not a dyno car just toy.

OP
OP
B

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Do the cats come with the 3" extension pipe between the stock header and exhast? Or do I have to get it fabricated? Thanks.

Bandit400

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will need a reducer to connect the header to the cat.
Call Partsrack for one.
Also, you may want to do a search for high flow cats and Corsa exhaust.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there any problems with O2 sensors? I looked into this for the same reason, lower the heat, better sound, & maybe a HP or two.

Andy

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased a set from The Parts Rack,I will have them installed in one week and have my Viper dyno tested it made 461 hp before the cats. I can not wait to have them installed, I will post the results after I get the car back.

:usa: :usa:

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob,
461 RWHP with the mods you have listed is very impressive. Did you do a baseline dyno on your car? The baseline on my '96 with 2000 miles on it and totally stock was 414. Another member of our club has a '97 totally stock which put down 418 at our last dyno day.

Bob K

OP
OP
B

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NJVIPER,

I am actually looking for a recommended installer in central NJ. I am always leary about bringing the car to some of these local shops.

Anyone have a recommendation? Thanks.

Bandit400

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.mufflex-performance.com/

I said it before and will again. Check out these guys.

They do excellent work.

Do not let the Trenton address bother you, they are NOT in Trenton.

If any of you guys know the Rt1 area, You get on Quaker Bridge road off of Rt1, going towards Hamilton, go to the "5 points", and make a right. Mufflex is just before you get to the overpass for 295( or is it 195?) I am lousy with road names.

They are much closer to Hamilton than Trenton.

OP
OP
B

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerome,

Thx for the recommendation. I will check them out. The only problem now is that I am not going to be able to get the car out of the garage for the next three weeks with 20" inches of snow coming.:(

Bandit400

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob,
461 RWHP with the mods you have listed is very impressive. Did you do a baseline dyno on your car? The baseline on my '96 with 2000 miles on it and totally stock was 414. Another member of our club has a '97 totally stock which put down 418 at our last dyno day.

Bob K

Bob,
I wish I did but Dan Cragin from The Viper Shop used my Viper to R&D the new Borla long tube stepped header with a merger collector.It runs great,as I posted before I bought the cats from parts rack and will have them installed next week .Right now I how the stock 2 1/2 inch cats on.Im working on Dan for a single super charger also( I hope).

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerome,

Thx for the recommendation. I will check them out. The only problem now is that I am not going to be able to get the car out of the garage for the next three weeks with 20" inches of snow coming.:(

Bandit400

Talk with Denny, the owner, he does very good work. Also, do not judge his work by the looks of the shop. His work speaks for itself. If you decide to have the shop do the work ask for him (Denny)to personally to do it.

Snow? What snow? I am still waiting for it. Do you have any yet at this time? (2:15PM)

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Two in Eatontown/Long Branch Area:

in alphabetical order:

Buhler Dodge 732-747-0040 Scott (service mgr)
Modern Performance 732-222-3679 (pro performance shop, specializing in Vipers) Nick M.

Jerome,

Bandit400

OP
OP
B

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Joe for the recommendations. The more options I have the better choice I can make. I unfortunately was turned off to Buhler because of my past experiences with them, so they are last on my list at this point. The short story of it was that Buhler wanted to charge me 5K higher for my FE than the price I obtained from Warnock dodge. Basically, they told me that I could take or leave it at that price. So I left it and saved 5K. They had 8 new vipers on the lot and not many people were buying this type of car in the current economic environment. Buhler felt they could still jack the price up. The kicker is that they still have not sold the car. Sorry for the ramble. Thanks.

Bandit400

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Sorry for the experience, but that is NOT the norm at Buhler! Sounds like you got a great deal.... and it sounds like Buhler just wanted to keep that FE a bit longer (It's the last one they have).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960