Pass Window not coming up

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got the call last night from the wife. She says the pass. side window will not go up. She can here the motor running, but the window is just rattling around in the door. I am guessing that it came out of the track.

Is this something that happens often? I have ordered my repair manual, but have not recieved it. How hard is it to take the door panel off?

I always like when stuff like this happens when I am out of town!!

Thanks,
Chip

OP
OP
I

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
She can play with my snake anytime....oh wait, um, I mean it is her daily driver.

Things you gotta do to get the car of your dreams....

Is it common for the window to pop off the track?

PETSN8K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think that is very common. But as snake bitten said, the door panel is very easy to remove. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happend with my '97 GTS when I had it. Took it to the dealer, as it was under warranty. They had it fixed quickly. Got off track.
good luck

OP
OP
I

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine is not under warrenty. :(

Thanks for the help though!!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Betcha it's this:

There is a plastic piece on the window regulator that connects to the bottom of the window. This piece often cracks/breaks. Very easy to check:

1.) Remove the 3 screws holding the large speaker grill in the door. Disconnect and remove the speaker. There may be two more screws holding the speaker down. The tweeter speaker will remain in the door. Do not try and pry that small grill from the speaker.

2.) Remove 2 screws at the very bottom of the door panel.

3.) Remove 3 screws on inside/top of the door panel, right below mirror.

4.) Remove 1 screw on outside portion of door.

5.) Pop of the plastic piece that surrounds the door handle. Be careful here... I was able to get it off with just my fingers. Once it is remove, you will see 1 screw that needs removed.

6.) At this point, 'I THINK' all the screws that hold the door panel on have been removed. But double check. If any are left, they will be visible.

7.) Grab the door panel at the bottom, and lift up. It should pop of pretty easily. You will have to disconnect the tweeter speaker. A snap connection will be visible. A snap connector also operates the locking switch below the door handle. Unsnap this connection as well.

8.) You can now remove the door panel. Just remember which screw go in what holes. They are different lengths. Suggestion: After removing the door panel, put the screws back into the locations on the door panel (One or two twist), so you don't forget which screws go where when putting the door panel back on....

9.) You will now see a thin plastic covering with a weather sealing type material around it. You have to pull this plastic away from the door, to get a good view of the window regulator motor, etc... It will seal back in place when you are ready to put the door panel back on. The stripping stays very plyable and sticky.

10.) Now put your key in the on position, and operate the window up/down. You will probably see the plastic piece I am talking about. It will ride up/down on a track. Problem is, it is probably cracked and is no longer attached at the bottom of the window.

*** If what I described is accurate, you have to replace the window regulator motor. You can not just buy the plastic peice that cracked. I had my dealer do this repair (it is covered under extended warrantee), so I can't give you any info. on how to replace the unit.

*** Although this sound like it may take some time, you should have the door panel off in under 30 minutes. Just take your time removing the screws. You don't want to slip and gouge your door panel.

*** If you want an easier/quicker way to check without removing the door panel, do this (Will need another person to assist): Put your wife in the driver seat with the key in the on position. Go to the window that is broken. Look down into the door between the weather stripping (Use flashlight). Now have your wife run the window until a sound can to longer be heard. All the way up, all the way down. You will probably see this broken plastic piece running up/down. Remember, this piece has to be attached to the bottom of the window, hence the windows up/down movement.

Let me know if I'm right.... The procedure if fresh in my memory, since I just did it last week.

Later

P.S. - I have a '98 GTS as well, so the procedure should be identical.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The above is absolutly correct! That's the good news.

Bad news is the window regulator motor carries a high Viper tax - something like $300!! :eek:

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like what happened to me when I was at VOI last year. Ended up being the cable attached to the motor has a bad habit of breaking under tension. Had it fixed under warranty when I got back. While I was there I used the old folded up paper wedge trick to hold the window in the up position. Funny thing about it, I met another guy the next day at VOI who had the same thing happen to him the day before.

bhchase

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Power Windows ? Motors ? Broken ? I Knew there had to be a good thing about owning an old 93. Thanks, i feel better now !

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure it's nothing VERY SIMPLE LIKE: The rubber molding around the pillar fell off and jammed in the track in the window. Happened to me twice. Very simple if that's it. Fish the peice out and glue back on.

Gerald

OP
OP
I

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While I was gone, my wife took the speaker off. She was able to push up the glass and pull it all the way up. She then put the window motor linkage all the way up. This held the window up until I rolled it down....did the same thing.

So, I will take it apart tonight and see if this is the case. I think it sounds like what was described above.

If so, I might try and locate a door motor out of a wrecked one to aviod the Viper tax.

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem as Gerald, also had to glue the rubber moulding back into the track, all fixed now, but I have become paranoid about it (happened twice) so I try not to use that window much.

OP
OP
I

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, i took it apart. The plastic piece is broken and the rubber track had come off the rail. Looks like it attaches with staples?? Looks like I am going ot be hunting this part down.

Also looks like it had been done before, the plastic was cut.

onerareviper, you did an excellent job with instructions. Although, there was one screw missed :) You did protect yourself with telling us to make a visual check!!

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the stapled rubber moulding falls off first, allowing the window to flop about, this then causes the second bit to break. I used sikaflex ( the stuff used to glue in windscreens ) to glue on the moulding again. Seems to be ok now.

OP
OP
I

iispms

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am sure that is what happened....just have to find a cheap, good fix now.