Passenger side door doesn't close smoothly.

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Passenger side door doesn\'t close smoothly.

Somehow i don't think this is normal, but i'll just ask anyway.

I've had the Viper for a few weeks now (by the way, pass the state inspection, but had to remove all the tinting on the windows) and not sure if this has always been this way or not, but i just noticed today that when i'd close the passenger (it's not as bad on the driver's side) door, the edge (at the end) of the armrest (where the fuzzy thing is) would rub against (not exactly sure what it's called) the rubber lining part of the car. Is this normal? I took a look at the car with the doors closed and couldn't see anything (from the outside) out of the ordinary.

Thank you for any input.

By the way, i did do a search, but came up empty.

Sam

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Passenger side door doesn\'t close smoothly.

Sounds like the door is starting to sag. The interior part of the door might be a little mis-aligned and that with the door starting to settle will create the problem. Doesn't take much to make the door parts rub on the weatherstrip.

OP
OP
S

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thank you, SNKEBIT for your help. What might possibly cause the door to sag? YOu mentioned that it doesn't take much to make the door parts rub on the weatherstrip, does your car do this OR have done this?

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score

yo

I had the same exact thing on my viper when i bought it,,, it only had 5600 miles on it as well. The doors sag,,,I had Chuck adjust the door and it helped alot..

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Good question, mine does the same thing. I need to adjust it.

Bolt

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

IS it an easy adjustment? Does anyone know the procedure?

KURT E

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I think it is a question of time more than anything else. My '01 with 3000 miles had the driver door sagging last year. The procedure for aligning the door is simple on paper. Remove the plastic cover in front of the door (this is a color matched piece on the exterior of the car). This will expose the hinge and associated bolts. All you need to do is loosen the bolts, lift the door, tighten the bolts. Sounds easy right? IT IS NOT. I did get it done. It did take me a day to get it right.

Kurt

peakcompletions

Viper Owner
Reaction score

David Weaver in Austin adjusted mine on my 97 quite quickly...

same problems... he might chime in with the best way to do it.

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I went to a local body shop and they fixed it with a "door leveler" took 2 minutes and it is now perfect. No Charge.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score

This can be done yourself and it isn't all that difficult after you experiment with it a few times. I adjusted my passenger door last Sunday.

After removing the trim piece and loosening the 4 hinge bolts with the door already closed I opened the door. You have to hold it up by hand at this point because the hinges are loose. Next, I inserted a folded up towel and closed the door on it. Depending on how many folds you make in the towel it will hold the door in the position you want it to end up at.

Then just tighten the hinge bolts, remove the towel and open/close the door a few times to see if it still rubs. I had to do mine about 6-7 times before I got it right but it really wasn't all that hard to do - certainly not as hard as installing the short throw shifter from underneath with it up on jackstands recently.

OP
OP
S

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thank you again for everyone's input! Great suggestions and help! :2tu:

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score

- certainly not as hard as installing the short throw shifter from underneath with it up on jackstands recently.

:D :laugh: :smirk: :laugh: :laugh:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Many tips on this site for adjusting the doors. BE SURE to lube the hinges regularly !!!

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Adjusting the doors is a piece of cake...just do some looking around

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any advise on a door that no longer stay open on its own?

2 VENOMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Sam, it's really simple and fast, the objective is to move the top hinge forward about 1/16", take off cover and with tape mark top hinge so yo can see how much it moves, because only a little is all you need, loosen top hinge, and if nessesary top bolt of lower hinge but don't loosen all, now with a helper open door slighly and lift until you see the hinge move forward tighten and check were you are thats all,
if you were near I would help,

george

John Hackett

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A thought to make things easier. Use a sharp pencil to trace the existing hinge location before you loosen the bolts. This gives you a point of reference in case you get things really out of whack. Also you can buy a wood shim pack (to install doors ect. in houses)from Home Depot and wrap them in a piece of felt and use it as a temporary support as you adjust the door.

BoeingMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Steve the 2001 maintanace manual says to use engine oil for lubing the door hinges. Is this what you are using? Seems as though there has to be something else that might last a little longer than engine oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spirit_R