Passenger window rolls down too much?

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is kinda hard to explain when you don't know what the pieces are properly called so here goes...

My passenger window rolls down too far. The glass hits a stop on the guide opposite the hinge side when being rolled down and the "female" plastic piece that pulls the window down on the middle rail goes farther down until it hits the bottom of the rail. This, in turn, causes the window to stop where it should but the little "male" piece attached to the glass pops out and the "female" piece keeps going lower. The window will roll up but the little "male" piece attached to the glass pops back in when the glass is fully closed only (with some momentum). If I don't the close the window fully, the glass will not slide down because the "male" and "female" piece aren't attached.

Can I stop the "female" piece attached to the middle rail from going down too far?

Hope that wasn't too confusing. I should have taken pictures when I had the door apart.

Thanks,
Santo

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I just went through this exact thing on my '98 GTS. There's a little metal clip that holds the male stud onto the female white plastic piece. Take your door face off (the inside) and reach into the door cavity. There's no place for it to escape, so you WILL find the little metal clip. If you're lucky it's as simple as reinstalling the metal clip. I was told that 90% of the time, that's all there is to it.

However my problem was not only that the clip had fallen off, but a tab was broken off the white plastic slider. Instead of spending hundreds of dollars on the entire assembly, I got just the white plastic piece from Paul Scharf for about $50.00. Replacing the slider took a little finesse. I had to entirely remove the electric window assembly from the door, but it's only about 4 or 5 bolts. There's a tab on the end of the rail that has to be bent flat, so the slider will slide off. Then you slide the new plastic piece on, reattach cables, and reinstall assembly.

The hardest part for me was getting the cable ends re-routed (pulley system). Hopefully yours will be a simple fix. Good luck!

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks trainville. I did look around when I had the door panel off but I didn't look too hard. I'll have a more indepth look and see if I can find it. Sounds like it should do the trick since nothing looks broken and it does pop in and out (with some force).

Thanks a bunch,
Santo

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, it turns out that the plastic piece was slightly broken on the top. I did not find a clip or the extra plastic piece that had broken off so someone must have opened the door panel before I did (I bought this 2001 last year). I didn't really see that ntil I got a small mirror and looked from the inside-out.

So, I used a piece of coat-hanger and wrapped it around the plastic piece (creating an upper retaining clip of sorts) and it's fine now. Not sure how long that will last but it works for now as the window rolls down and stops without the window ****** popping out.

Thanks for the help.
Santo