Paxton Installed

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I finally have the pleasure of driving a Paxton Viper. I want to first publicly thank my best friend Kurtis (ILLSMOQ) for doing the install. He did such a nice job on his own install, I knew he had to install mine. It took awhile,but was well worth the wait. I pressured him daily, but between working 50-60 hour weeks, he squeeezed in getting my car done.

People talk about clean installs and "stock" looking. Well I think the way he hides the wires and looms them makes it look like it practically came from Dodge like this. Everyone cant believe how clean it looks.

So driving it has been a blast. Its tame and normal around town, but hammer the throttle and a whole new beast awakes. I put my stock computer back in and will be dyno tuning soon. As for now, with the Paxton,DLM tensioner and cooler, M&M headers, X-metal TB and Corsa, no cats with stock computer, I dyno'd today and got 4 runs of 650-660 rwhp and 590 rwtq. It is running at about 10.8 afr until near redline then it comes up into the mid 11's. I hope to tune and gain a little bit more. Here are a few pics.

You must be registered for see images attach

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
damn thats a clean install. if that dont look factory, i dont know what does.

numbers ???

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Mike-I know you are going to enjoy driving your Viper even more with the Paxton install.

I bet the throttle response is good(X Metal TB should help with this). Adam is installing the X Metal TB on my Viper.

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
how do you keep your engine bay so clean?

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It came out great...the car looks killer. Get it tuned and we'll put in that rear then we can go out and kick some ass:drive:

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
how do you keep your engine bay so clean?

I actually laughed when I read this becaus ILLSMOQ always makes fun of my engine bay. Its actually a little dirty. Where his is spotless. I think its my new Sony camera, it really brings out the colors and depth. But I do wipe the engine down weekly.

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
damn thats a clean install. if that dont look factory, i dont know what does.

numbers ???

Numbers so far are 650-660 rwhp on 4 pulls, all were 589/590 rwtq. This is with my original stock computer back in the car. My other computer that I had flashed for my N/A mods is in Socal getting a blower flash and then Im driving down next weekend to dyno tune and adjust the SS box. See if I can get a little more power out of this thing.

vegas guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

If you ever make it over to my side of the Bay give me a call. I plan to install a paxton sometime this year and would love to check out your install. I'm in San Mateo but commute back and forth to Las Vegas and plan to attend Mopars at the Strip. The Viper is currently at the San Mateo house.

Dave

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike,

If you ever make it over to my side of the Bay give me a call. I plan to install a paxton sometime this year and would love to check out your install. I'm in San Mateo but commute back and forth to Las Vegas and plan to attend Mopars at the Strip. The Viper is currently at the San Mateo house.

Dave

Sounds good, or you could come up this way. Every saturday morning there is a Meet at Santana Row, off hwy 880 and stevens creek. Lots of lambos, porsche, Ferrari, Vipers and Vettes. Im usually there every saturday morning from 9-11am, grab some coffee and then we go for a cruise in the hills.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car looks great, and these things do run pretty well with a blower on them! A Copperhead vert is still on my list of cars to own, you built yours perfectly as far as I'm concerned.

Tony

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike......when you go to Belanger headers and exhaust, you'll really wake her up! It made a BIG difference on my S/C'd 05 Comm. Edition! Have fun, and BE CAREFUL!!

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way to go Mike! :headbang:Congratulations! :2tu: How much different does it feel? Do you break loose when the power really hits?

V

Venomiss

Very nice! Now you need to get your hood pad done as you will be showing off your engine even more.;)

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Way to go Mike! :headbang:Congratulations! :2tu: How much different does it feel? Do you break loose when the power really hits?

It was a liitle colder other night and it spun up on freeway, I dropped into 2nd at about 3k rpms and hit it., but was still very controllable. But the rpms climb fast. Its most fun in 3rd gear. With my bigger 20" PS2's on the rear, I dont have a big traction issue. I'll see how it does once I get my quaife, I'll be hitting the drag strip.

Its a whole new car. I know you have been on the fence, N/A vs TT vs SC, Id say go for the paxton, its a easy 650-700rwhp mod. All the argument of the Roe and lower end torque, well Im actually happy with the way the power comes on with the Paxton. If I had anymore low end, i wouldnt be going anywhere. And who knows, down the road, I may build up some more and have a 800-900rwhp like some of the other Paxton guys. Still where Im at now is plenty of fun.:2tu:

vegas guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good, or you could come up this way. Every saturday morning there is a Meet at Santana Row, off hwy 880 and stevens creek. Lots of lambos, porsche, Ferrari, Vipers and Vettes. Im usually there every saturday morning from 9-11am, grab some coffee and then we go for a cruise in the hills.

Where at Santana Row? Wifey is off to Cancun with the girls for a little R&R. I can go play. Its just the Dog and me! That means we can both sit on the couch, eat bad food and not get yelled at.

Dave

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where at Santana Row? Wifey is off to Cancun with the girls for a little R&R. I can go play. Its just the Dog and me! That means we can both sit on the couch, eat bad food and not get yelled at.

Dave

Im sending you a PM

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mike, which of those cars at the meet up point gave you the most competition while u were at 508 rwhp? And do you think any of them can hang with you now?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Mike, which of those cars at the meet up point gave you the most competition while u were at 508 rwhp? And do you think any of them can hang with you now?

Most of the time we didnt really race , just goofed around on freeway doing fly bys. We would head to the hills and then chase eachother to the top. Honestly, only the Vettes ever play. At 508 rwhp, I never had a problem, even with the few Z06's. But they were mostly stock. I did run TT testerossa and i beat him on freeway roll, but I dont think he honestly drove as hard as I did.

Last night ILLSMOQ and I grabbed dinner, on way home came across a Steeda Mustang. Turned out is one of our buddies friends. Kurtis knew of the car and said lets see if we can get him to play. So we waited for a clearing, Kurtis gave him the go and off we went. First few times I stayed in 3rd, I walked him good. Kurtis saw him get sideways once. Next run again in 3rd, but he slows us down and then we go, but this time because i was lower in the rpms, he stayed about a half car to a car back. Before it had been a couple cars.

So final run, again he wants to go from about 60, so I dropped into 2nd this time about 4k rpms. We go, I hammer it the car just rockets and as Im shifting to 3rd which felt like just a brief second, I already could see him out back window. I only took it part way into 3rd because he was already 5-6 cars back.

We got off road and he follwed, pulled over. Said he had it built , about 640 rwhp. Which is close to where Im at ,but Mustangs are heavier. All he kept saying was "man your car is fast" It was alot of fun. Im actually glad there not all that torque down low. Otherwise id be spinning up too. I think that was part of his problem. Where I just hammered it, even in 2nd and it just stuck and went. Im very happy with the power right now. Paxton is a great mod, you should defiantely consider it Black Mamba.:2tu:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I am sold! Sounds like a lot of fun. Yeah, I have had no one beat me where I am at now, but I know w/ all the cars ramping up power, the new ZR1 coming, and GTR, I think I will go your route. I spin all the time now, and if I am producing 650+ rwhp at 3000 rpm, I can imagine that being a problem! Sounds like u have it just about right!:2tu:

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think I am sold! Sounds like a lot of fun. Yeah, I have had no one beat me where I am at now, but I know w/ all the cars ramping up power, the new ZR1 coming, and GTR, I think I will go your route. I spin all the time now, and if I am producing 650+ rwhp at 3000 rpm, I can imagine that being a problem! Sounds like u have it just about right!:2tu:

I know people knock the paxton, but I like iot so far. I have my intial dyno , untuned of 667rwhp/590 rwtq and its layed on same graph as my 508 rwhp N/A setup. At 3k rpms there even at 2k rpms, but at 3k or so, the boost kicks in and the graph for paxton car just climbs.

And i noticed that last night when I just stayed in 3rd, I didnt walk the guy hard right off the beat, I was at 3k rpms, so just when boost starts, but in just seconds I was at 5k rpms and walking away. Didnt even have to shift.lol . Its cool to feel that power kick in. And Im definately a big fan of my rear tire, the PS2 in 20" rocks. It just sticks and goes.

I know you talked of moving to Florida, if you do, get the car to DLM, it will be even better then mine. He can definately do some extra tweaking, especially with your built motor. A paxton will be the perfect compliment to your car. :drive:

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations Mike. I know that car must be a blast to drive. It's amazing that with all that power, you are still able to have good traction. Can't wait until you take her to the strip. I see tens and 130+ 1/4 mile times in your future. :headbang:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960