Paxton S/C Install In NY/NJ/CT

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a remark about "dealers" or not but I can ASSURE you that there is nothing that gets through without my approval and with all the "mail order" cars/transactions we do a year 1000's parts and service, (about 300 cars a year are shipped in or out), I rarely end up having any issues with customer satisfaction. :D
No iam sorry not at all about dealers.Just in general people -individuals (according to Paxton )alter the kit (change pulleys,bolt on headers rockers ect )-6lbs is good 8 is better .A problem happens and then its Paxtons falt.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mail Order Tuning and Performance Parts, especially when its power-adder related is a touchy subject. You know, sell the customer a pulley or a blower package, and assume that he knows enough about the rest of the system to make the needed changes adapting it to his platform? But it never fails, when so-and-so doesnt do their research and the engine is blown to kingdom come, the fingers come flying out in all directions... on a car that a tuner never even actually touched, and probably hasnt even seen in person. There are some times when saving a few bucks is simply not worth the risk, and the Viper engine is a pretty good benchmark for "not worth it". Small bolt-ons, some basic tuning and well-known packages are one thing, but I always find it surprising when someone trusts the shade-tree mechanic they know, or even themselves with no specific Viper tuning/building experience on their $10,000-$40,000 engine...

The question comes down to responsibility [or at least the illusion of it], and I can understand tuners taking the high-road in certain situations as it's often not worth the possible hassle... since this country has shown so well that no one is responsible for themselves anymore. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan has helped me tremendously with my latest mod. It's huge...its REALLY expensive...a set of push-rods. :rolleyes: Yep, Dan spent a great deal of time explaining to me how the valve-train works in great detail. Differences between types of push-rods, geometry, valve lift, etc, etc. Differences between brands of rockers, etc. He even took the time to understand where I wanted to go with mods down the road to make certain I wasn't throwing away money. His customer service and support are exemplary.

Mind you, I didn't even purchase my T&D's from Dan...just the push-rods (and a push-rod checker) but he treated me very well and spent a good deal of his valuable time answering my technical questions. You can rest assured that when it comes time to dig into my N.A. engine or go super-charger Dan will be my first phone call.

I think we're incredibly lucky to have people like Dan, Tator, Woodhouse, DLM, Roe, DC Performance to name a few. I'm sure if Dimitrios picks any of these he'll be very happy.

Thanks Dan for helping me with my pushrod/rocker upgrade. The Viper is running stronger than ever.

- Tony

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, word for word (in a very interesting conversation)Doud Levin told me the exact same thing 10 years ago.

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would like to draw a line down the middle. I can see what Viper Specialty is saying about dealerships. I think that applies to "most" dealerships like all the local dodge dealerships around here would not be qualified to do a supercharger install IMO. I think the one's that do not apply are surely woodhouse and maybe a few others who are active installers and VCA supported. But local run of the mill dealers down the street: no. A tuner is better in that case, IMO of course.

Thats also the reason why I paid shipping to woodhouse for my supercharger even though there are lots of places around here who would install it and even a local paxton installer a few mins away, but not a complete viper familiar installer. I just felt more comfortable with woodhouse, and would never send this to a regular dealer.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that Woodhouse is unique among dealers with respect to its modification capabilities due to the fact that Woodhouse was/is an active racing competitor. Their performance capabilities were, to some extent, developed and honed from prepping Woodhouse car(s) for racing. In addition, they have been modifying Vipers for the street for quite a few years. Mark's ability to pick up the telephone and speak to the SRT engineers is an important data source. However, once again, if one wants to alter the stock Paxton supercharging kit, an independent tuner is needed. Those who do not care about the Paxton three year limited warranty or the optional Paxton driveline warranty, assume the risk of any resulting damage, if any, from the alteration of the kit. Some also, based on quite a few posts on these forums over the years, do not mind if the overall engineering integrity of the car is not maintained. ( Paxton thoroughly tested its kit and with feedback from people like Dan, Doug and Mark have refined the kit .) In other words, a dramatic increase in power is produced without strengthening other related components. I think that the proper way to mod is to look at the car as an organic engineering whole, as SRT does, and act accordingly. This requires good data - not just hearsay and anecdotal first hand reports by Viper owners. This is one of the reasons why when I read a post about some new mod I ask for data about its efficacy, durability and reliability. If the data is not provided, it's a good bet that the component has either not been tested or not adequately tested. For me, no data means no purchase. Others may be willing to experiment with their Vipers based on blind faith. That is fine as long as they understand the risks inherent in doing so.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When i spoke to Paxton they astually we talking about having a customer sign a disclaimer should the customer alter the kit(change pulley size )or add bolt on power adders (headers,throttle bodys ect )on top of the kit

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What would headers have to do with the paxton kit? You might as well then say if you have a custom exhaust your paxton kit's warranty is voided? Almost everybody who does a paxton has at least an aftermarket exhaust or more mods.

Reaction score
The wording is not exactly meant to imply this. The reasons the headers are a issue is that the improved breathing (along with) a catback and some other normal mods that amount to little improvements, (headers scavenge better) "can" without further tuning (which would void the warranty from Paxton) run into lean conditions on the stock fuel arrangement that the Paxton is certified for (CARB). Paxton is a performance company and knows what people do. They know that there will be some other mods on the car but they also know the outside capability built into the system. They are making this statement to let you know that you are on your own if this is attempted on the standard kit.

It's all a liability issue in the end not them trying to get out of anything in my mind. You and I both know if this is done and you have a problem your first reaction is "who is going to pay for this!" :usa:way :nono:

What would headers have to do with the paxton kit? You might as well then say if you have a custom exhaust your paxton kit's warranty is voided? Almost everybody who does a paxton has at least an aftermarket exhaust or more mods.