pcm going bad, need advice on replacement

SEEEEYA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
car in the shop, o2 sensor keeps frying, they first said it was the bosch replacement that was no good but when they replaced it drove it for 5 miles the voltage spiked again, almost frying the sensor they put in so they are now leaning toward the pcm, is this a possibility?? If I need a new pcm do I get a stock replacement since I have a roe racing tune I can use, or is there a better option?? I figure the dealer will **** me on the price if the O2 sensor is any indication of mark up pricing.

OP
OP
S

SEEEEYA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just found out new PCM is free because of emissions, (feel Like I won the lotto) was told between my 06 and now there has been 12 revisions to the program, going to be interesting to see what I get out on the street

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang. You are still battling your loss of power issue? Glad the pcm is free.

OP
OP
S

SEEEEYA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Roe Racing kinda pointed me in this direction, they said it sounded like the PCM was going bad, dealer thought it was just a crap replacement o2 sensor install until it fried their new one too, hopefully this will take care of it

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anything is possible, but have never seen a computer fry anything of a sensor of any type on a car

OP
OP
S

SEEEEYA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the way the dealer made it sound that the pcm kept the O2 sensor "heat" on which caused the sensor to burn out, I dont know its all bananas to me, we will see if the new pcm works or it was all bull from the dealer

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if its only burning up the heated oxygen sensor, meaning the code is for the heater in the sensor, it will not make it run poor, just a light. is this the case?

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember the ecu is like a huge power distribution block. It clamps 12 volts down to 5 volts for a lot of sensors. It pulses ground/blah blah.

I've seen sensors short out, then fry the ecu. Then you replace the sensor and it burns the sensor until you replace both the sensor and ecu @ the same time.

OP
OP
S

SEEEEYA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Update,

well they replaced the computer,drove it and it was still "spiking" their diagnostic that was plugged into the car while they were driving it, then looking further as he put it, they found a short in the wiring harness from the computer to the O2 sensor, replaced that and they said no more spike. Tell you what the car ran smooth after I picked it up, actually it felt better then it ever has, so I wonder if the line has been bad for a while or the updated computer smoothed it out.either way cant wait to put the tuner back on it and see how she runs. giving up 6 franklins was not fun but "hopefully" I dont have to worry about the car taking a **** while driving anymore

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte