Performance Chip on Ebay - experience?

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to ask - anyone tried it on the Viper? I'd post the link but I cannot access Ebay at work (Army restriction). It seems cheap enough to try and his feedback rating seems high. However, I think it has a better chance of working in non-Vipers!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I still have my VEC2 for sale. I've never heard of a decent
"chip" or other plug in besides the AEM, VEC2, VEC1, Mopar
PCM, and DC PCM Reflash. Considering the cost of the motor I
wouldn't take a chance on an ebay upgrade.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...exactly. Scam-o-rama. Typicaly it's a resistor that fools the ECM into thinking the IAT is seeing a low temp., supposedly allowing more timing advance. The problem is if the temp is significantly higher than the ECM thinks then the timing is far too advanced and ping occures, defeating the original purpose by robbing your engine of power.
I've fooled with this on a couple of vehicles: turbo 2.2s and 5.9L magnum.
On the 2.2 I had a varistor (variable resistor) set up for drag racing purposes. It was a touchy motor and small changes made HUGE differences, too far 'cold' and pre-ignition was bad enough to send me from the strip with a blown head gasket (a 35 min drive on a good day)
On the 5.9 moving the IAT from the intake to the air filter box did not produce a noticable difference, but I suspect that the 'chip' mod may have, though it probably would have been negligable.
Sorry for the lenghty post.

OP
OP
viperbob

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what the guy told me last night:

"The Accelerator connects to the Coolant Temperature Sensor with connectors included in the shipment. Installation takes only a matter of minutes once the sensor is located, and we are here to help with that if needed.
There is no need to reprogram as it is not connected to the computer per se."

So it sounds pretty close to what you posted Asp Man.

OP
OP
viperbob

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Ebay seller emailed me back again - said he has sold a few to Viper owners and the feedback was overall positive. But I am still not sure...seems too good to be true.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4