Performance Upgrades

Roffey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is the first muscle car I've ever owned and I am also a novice (but want to learn a LOT more in the years to come) I have a couple of questions.

Here are the upgrades that have been done to the car by the previous owner. Plus a copy of the dyno run he had done.

My question is, what are your opinions on what has been done. Also, the reliability for long drives. Am a new club member and planning on attending some of the events next year.

Got the car in Sept., and just put it to bed for the season this past week.

Appreciate your responses - Thanks!
:drive:

Attachments

• Scan_Doc0035.pdf
    528.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Scan_Doc0036.pdf
    520.6 KB · Views: 58

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not going to be able to answer your questions, but the guys who will answer need to know more about the car...year, model, etc...

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SEARCH FEATURE
Almost every question you can think of has already been asked and answered! In some cases, the information may be out of date and a new thread will be needed, but in many cases, an answer to your question may be under 10 seconds away!

The VCA Web Forums has a search feature very similar to web search engines like Google. By typing in a few words, it will search all old posts since the website was created to find words matching what you typed in. Be mindful though, the more words you type the fewer results you will get as it will try to find posts only with all of the words you types. In saying that as well, by using words like “The” and “It” you will get hundreds if not thousands of threads. I might suggest sticking to main words. Also try to avoid year specific searches. It will block out a lot of good info. For example:

“What is the best exhaust system for my 2006”

It might be better as:

“best exhaust”

To do a search, click on Search located in the center of the Directional Information Toolbar. If you are wanting a quick overall search, just type in the words in the search box. For this example, we will go with an Advanced Search as you can further clarify your search parameters.

Once you have clicked on Search, click Advanced Search located under the Quick Search field.

Type in the key words you want to search for. Once you have typed in your key words, click on the drop down arrow on the Search All Open Forums tab located on the lower right side of the Search page if you would like to clarify your search. Choose a specific forums you would like the question searched under. In some cases this is not needed but if you are wanting the best exhaust for your 2008, you will not want the threads from the 1992 cars. This feature helps to cut down on the amount of non-applicable information that will be presented to you. Do remember though, by selecting the one section you are narrowing down the number of places the search will look. If there was a thread in the Racing section, and you only selected the SRT section, you will not see that information. This menu can be useful if used correctly.

Once complete, click Search and see your answers! Feel free to play, there is no limit to the amount of searches you can do!

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. The search feature is your best friend here. If it is Viper related it has been asked a dozen times and responded to as well.

Vipers are also Sports cars not Muscle cars.

Bruce

OP
OP
R

Roffey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. The search feature is your best friend here. If it is Viper related it has been asked a dozen times and responded to as well.

Vipers are also Sports cars not Muscle cars.

Bruce

Oops!
Sorry......:dunno: (Sure feels 'muscley' though:2tu:)

Will definitely check out the site in depth - Thanks for all the info!!

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the first muscle car I've ever owned and I am also a novice (but want to learn a LOT more in the years to come) I have a couple of questions.

Your viper has a ton of power, (625 hp at the flywheel?), you need to learn how to drive with this HP and torque. All viper's are easy to snap-oversteer, and Gen I's like your's are the easiest. As a "novice" suggest you go to driving schools such as Viper Days where you can learn how to drive a high hp car. also, make sure you have fresh tires on your viper. The depth of tread is irrelevant, the age of them is what matters

Here are the upgrades that have been done to the car by the previous owner. Plus a copy of the dyno run he had done.

I think you have some other upgrades that are not on that invoice. I'm sure you have headers and an aftermarket exhaust to make that much power, probably a modified air intake too?

My question is, what are your opinions on what has been done. Also, the reliability for long drives. Am a new club member and planning on attending some of the events next year.

I'm not an engine builder but you have some very good heads, upgraded cam, crank, pistions, roller rockers etc. All high quality parts, reliability should be good, provided the builder put them together correctly. Use the best fuel you can find (probably 93 octane in MI?), service the radiator and always keep an eye on the temp guage, change oil with synthetic annually regardless of mileage, find a good viper tech and do an inital look over and then annual inspection.

Best wishes! above all learn to drive with that much hp, resist the temtation to show you friends how fast you viper is until you've got alot of seat miles and some coaching. Mike

OP
OP
R

Roffey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you Mike!
After digging through the paperwork that came with the car (whole binder full), I found who the owner was that did all the upgrades. The person I bought it from, purchased it from him. Don't know if he is still a member, but some of the paperwork includes a member number. Haven't had a chance to sit down and look at it all until now, due to squeezing in as much fun as possible by the end of the season. The items I uploaded to the site are what the consignment dealer had available. Kind of jumped the gun, I guess. I sent a PM to the moderator to have the gentleman contact me.

One of the main reasons I joined the club is to learn to drive, plus the fact of being able to tap into the wealth of knowledge available on this site. Bringing it back from Detroit, knowing I had some brute force under the hood, I was VERY careful with it. Exited the XWay to get gas and got caught at a red light. When the light changed, I made a left and the ass end got away from me (was still used to driving my truck!) Since then I've been getting a feel for it but am going to put some new tires on it, come Spring. Looking forward to next season and meeting a lot of people!

Now I just need to search for an aftermarket cruise control. Got nailed for 72 in a 55:mad:
Thing is, it didn't feel like I was going that fast - Gotta Love It!!!
Thanks again to all who posted.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roffey, as you found out it's easy to get it sideways! A line tell people that I read in a magazine probably 10 years ago said, "ask a viper owner if he's ever spun his car. If he says no, he's either lying or has never driven it hard."

Glad you bought a viper and glad you joined the VCA, you'll find a wealth of good information and great people.

Lastly, I forgot to mention, look into a better brake set up for you viper. If your car is stock the brakes are weak regardless of pads. Best set up is the Gen III/IV conversion. Search and learn. Make your next mod's tires and brakes. Mike

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
post up your cruise control findings, there is a "plug in" unit, ut kinda pricey, might be jonB knows

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The parts specified in your engine build should produce a reliable and driveable package. One thing, for that combinatiion of parts we have found that the engine needs to be tuned with the later Gen 2 injectors or it will run lean at high rpm and load.

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roffey, as you found out it's easy to get it sideways! A line tell people that I read in a magazine probably 10 years ago said, "ask a viper owner if he's ever spun his car. If he says no, he's either lying or has never driven it hard."

Yep, this past summer! Right after the SCT tune install:rolaugh: Was quite the smokey u_turn.

crazyspeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a nice engine upgrade package.

To protect you engine investment:

Dyno to check your A/F at all rpm and loads

Upgrade cooling system

To protect yourself:

Driving school ( Skip Barber?)

New sticky tires

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just listen to all the guys on here & you'll be fine!
NEVER get on it when traffic is coming your way & don't wear out your slippers going back & forth to the garage to look at it & saying MAN, I still can't believe I got it! Enjoy

OP
OP
R

Roffey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just listen to all the guys on here & you'll be fine!
NEVER get on it when traffic is coming your way & don't wear out your slippers going back & forth to the garage to look at it & saying MAN, I still can't believe I got it! Enjoy

Too late - On my second pair already!!;)

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Roffey, in case you don't know, you ain't gunna get a better opinion on your mods than this one:

The parts specified in your engine build should produce a reliable and driveable package. One thing, for that combinatiion of parts we have found that the engine needs to be tuned with the later Gen 2 injectors or it will run lean at high rpm and load.

listen to dan (calling him is good too)

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice purchase

I was interested in that car before buying my 1999, it looked well done :)

did you purchase it from the owner or from the place selling for him?

they had told me it was an older owner who had a nice collection of cars

OP
OP
R

Roffey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Both, actually. Went to the showroom on a Thurs and the owner didn't want anyone driving it by themselves (understandable) so he met us there. Since it rained that day, we waited for a couple hours for it to dry up before taking it out for a spin. By then it was after hours so we came back the next day. Owner met us again and we followed him to his house where he gave us some extras to go with it. Very nice retired gentleman. Turns out we have some medical problems in common and we hit it off great. It IS very well done and I'm extremely happy with the purchase. Never dreamed I'd own such a beautiful piece of functional art!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang