performance .. what next ??

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hii all,

Ok I went throught the basic upgrades .. filters, exhaust, high flow catz, headers. What next ?? I am gonna shop soon for a set of ported heads.. but dont want the compression raised because Nos is not too far. I know this topic has been covered many times. Wanted to know whats the best heads to get?? how much and from who?? and also do I need a ported intake manifold ?? thanx gang

OP
OP
V

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanx badviper ... i ll probably give tnt a call monday morning thanx again.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would get the Apex 650 kit. all you need are their heads kit (includes T&Ds and all the valves and so on..), cam, TB and intake manifold "maybe computer tunning" and your set. you should make 570rwhp/580rwtq
Give Wayne a call, tell him i sent you
wink.gif

OP
OP
V

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TheMash,

I will give apex a call too and go with the best deal I get. I still havent decided which tuner I ll go with. Thanks

Reaction score
Beryllium Copper valve seats are a bad choice (in my humble opinion) for a street driven engine. They are too soft for longevity on a street performance valve job, taking into consideration the length of time between rebuilds on a typical Viper street engine. They offer no flow increase or horsepower gain, and will actually cost power when the valves starts leaking at some point.

They are necessary on certain specialized types of racing engines(high rpm drag racing and Winston Cup for example), but these engines have a very finite life and their valve seat angles are freshened up frequently, along with the rest of the engine. The only street application I would consider their use on is a turbocharged engine, which typically has higher exhaust gas temps than your average racing engine. The berrylium seats keep the exhaust valves cooler than their steel counterparts and increase engine life by preventing valve breakage due to excess heat in the valve.

It costs about 400 dollars for the seats ($20x20 seats) plus the labor to install them. It's a waste of money for a normally aspirated street engine. That same money would offer much more "bang for the buck" if applied to the port work.