picking up a salvaged gts

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most likely not. But it makes a great story to tell the buyer. I've heard that one many times.

If you get a salvage, please let me know so I can add it to my list.

will the insurance company actually salvage your viper lets say if its stolen the parts you listed above hood bumpers and side sills are stolen will the salvage it.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well I can see that I am not going to change anyones mind here. Bill Pemberton knows it is not worth half but he is trying to sell Vipers. Usualy it is worth about 20% less. Most people do run into huge cost in trying to build there own salvage because they don't know how much parts cost. I think he was looking for one that needed no work or very little.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He's 20 years old and sounds like he knows didly about the Viper. I don't think this guy is a good candidate for a salvage Viper...or a Viper for that matter. Not trying to be negative, but this isnt like buying a regular car on so many different levels. Most advice young folks (who arent loaded) are given here is; get your life in order (at least own a home, have a paid off vehicle for daily duties, etc) before you plop down on something like this.

Sweet, I just broke 500 posts...only took me 3 and a half years......:woot:

Well, listen to the advice on this board. For the amount of effort and money you're going to pour into a salvage car, I say you can find a nice GTS for 37 or 38 that will not give you a million headaches. The Viper market isnt exactly stellar at the moment.

Last edited:

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am a salvage owner. Bought the car for $15K. Did the work myself, including a motor rebuild and paint. ZERO regrets. Cost = same as buying a decent used car. So, if you think it will save money, WRONG. If you want a challenge and take pride in a car you restored, then go for the salvage.
Would I do it again, YEP. The myth about rebuilt cars being sub -par is BS, at least for mine. My frame points are near exact, with the worst measurement is +1 mm. The handbuilt, balanced, file-fit ringed motor runs like a champ.

Just my $.02

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey all i just turned 20 and i was looking to buy a 2002-2004 zo6 and theyre running between 28k-32k but since yesterday when i saw a 2002 black and white stripped gts i :omg: so im kind of leaning toward a gts now. i have always been a fan of the vipers since they came out but i have been having trouble finding a gts around 32-38k range so im looking to buy a previously salvaged or reconstructed one beacuse theyre cheaper and i dont plan on selling it will probably keep it till i die lol.

1. im 6,2 250lbs i currently drive a 2002 camaro ss and fit in it perfectly will i have trouble getting in an out of the viper also is it a comfortable fit for long drives.

2.wich years came with abs system installed or if i get a car without abs will i be able to adapt it to the older car.

3. not really worried about gas milage but just out of curiosity what kind of milage do you guy get in city driving.

4.ive heard past viper like the 1994-1999 viper brakes just **** is there any truth to this.

5.are these cars reliable for daily driving if i were to choose to do so would it leave me stranded.

6.my current car is equipped with the t56 is this trans similar to the one equipped in the viper and will it take the same kind of clutches as the camaros.

i would greatly appreciate any help with the question above thanks.;)

jonathan

After re reading this post, and cannot figure out why this thread has made it 3 pages now, and my actual question in another thread about a stereo wiring pinout to which I've had only one reply, it struck me as odd that you don't know the answers to any of the above questions but you've been researching vipers since you were 6???:dunno:

10 min of actual research on this website alone would have answered all your questions let alone 14 years. Sorry for being so rough, but I am amazed at how long this thread has gone! I'd strongly steer clear of owning a viper for you, or wait til you can really afford it.

OP
OP
P

pugads651

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i orignally wanted to get a 2001-2002 beacuse of the abs but i guess ill settle for 96-00 model and just get a clean titled one beacuse i might sell it later and may want to get some of my money back. thanks for the help one more thou when is the best time of the year to buy so i can get the best price.

jonathan

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Pugads651,

What did your insurance agent say? I know once you're married and over 25 owning a fun car isn't so much of a big deal to your insurance company, but when I was 20 and in college, I could barely afford insurance on my Chevy Cavalier.

I'd love to hear the price he quotes you.

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
P

pugads651

Enthusiast
Reaction score
me and my brother run a insurance/real estate office so insurance shouldnt be a problem i hope i currently pay 34 dollars month for my camaro full coverage and a 500 deductible.

androbud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting my viper redone right now. It "should've" been a total but I happened to run into a great body shop deal and insurance deal at the same time. Any body shop is gonna talk up how much more it costs to fix SMC since it's NOT just fiberglass. And the alignment of the front end can take MANY hours. The reality is the that man hours really dictate the cost of repair on this car. Any good bodyman knows that SMC repair will be stronger than the original material and any good painter will be able to do a paint job that is just as good or FAR superior to the original. Parts are expensive, and you get what you pay for at the body shop. I will have ABSOLUTELY no problem driving my viper after being repaired, but I'm probably the very rare exception that I was only going about 10 mph when I wrecked though. Basically just hood and paint job.

Bottom line is that I don't think I would buy a viper that's being advertised as salvaged unless it's DIRT cheap (10k or less), but I would still consider buying a previously wrecked (and repaired) gen 2 for very low 30's. That's just me though.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hemibeep, you are the rare exception. One who obviously loves wrenching, and I understand you 100%. On the otherhand, a first time buyer with a very low likelyhood of your skill level and knowledge would be at the mercy of the seller.

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Haha, it's more of a cubby. :)

Most of the advice given in this thread is pretty good. Be patient and do your research and you will find your car. Don't rush into it, take your time.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have the skills to repair any damages by yourself mostly or ask a crapload of questions so that you can do it yourself you'll save a boatload of money, probably the only things you would need to let others do is frame and body stuff.
My Calibra is in a seemingly never-ending state of getting fixed/modified and by doing a huge numer of things myself I saved maybe a few grand by now. Just this week it turned 200,000 kilometers and when the engine sounds like it is getting too tired I might totally take it apart myself so I can have fun and take pride in doing something like this.
No I don't have the skills a true mechanic has but so far I like to think I'm doing great and have the luck that my car is very easy to wrench on.
How's this for high jinks (doing my own interior ALL by myself with help from my mother) :D :

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
P

pugads651

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im trying to get an idea of how small the cabin on the viper is i currently drive an 02 ss camaro and it fits me perfect if any body here can tell me how much smaller the viper is compared to the camaro i would greatly appreciate it thanks.

ohh and it looks like i will be picking up a 2001-2002 gts sometime in july.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey all i just turned 20 and i was looking to buy a 2002-2004 zo6 and theyre running between 28k-32k but since yesterday when i saw a 2002 black and white stripped gts i :omg: so im kind of leaning toward a gts now. i have always been a fan of the vipers since they came out but i have been having trouble finding a gts around 32-38k range so im looking to buy a previously salvaged or reconstructed one beacuse theyre cheaper and i dont plan on selling it will probably keep it till i die lol.

1. im 6,2 250lbs i currently drive a 2002 camaro ss and fit in it perfectly will i have trouble getting in an out of the viper also is it a comfortable fit for long drives.

2.wich years came with abs system installed or if i get a car without abs will i be able to adapt it to the older car.

3. not really worried about gas milage but just out of curiosity what kind of milage do you guy get in city driving.

4.ive heard past viper like the 1994-1999 viper brakes just **** is there any truth to this.

5.are these cars reliable for daily driving if i were to choose to do so would it leave me stranded.

6.my current car is equipped with the t56 is this trans similar to the one equipped in the viper and will it take the same kind of clutches as the camaros.

i would greatly appreciate any help with the question above thanks.;)

jonathan

Jonathan,

Don't even think salvage unless you've done it before. I was in a similar boat when I purchased mine. Was about in your price range (I was willing to go to $40K). I didn't think I could get a GTS either, but I found one. I did pay a little more than my top dollar, but I couldn't be happier. Just look for higher mileage cars, and by higher mileage I mean 20-50K miles (which isn't really high).

1. You will fit in a vette better than a Viper and it's much tighter than a Camaro. You can get used to it and there are seat lower kits.

2. Think it was already mentioned ABS started in '01, cast pistons started in '00, I have a '99.

3. I have gotten 20 mpg on the interstate doing about 65 in 6th gear. Otherwise I average about 12 mpg. Got 6 mpg at the track

4. They are pretty bad considering the car is so heavy, but you can get upgrades for reasonable prices as your ready. The brakes are fine for everyday driving, just **** at the track.

5. The car is reliable just not really practical. No cup holders. No real storage. A/C is not the best and it can get really hot. You should probably test drive or at least sit in one before deciding.

6. I could be wrong but I think it's the same transmission (maybe a little beefier).

Other comments: You will get lots and I mean lots of attention (not just girls but lots of kids too). You really should have another vehicle to drive on occasion. That insurance rate is crazy! We have 5 cars and a bike with three drivers and pay less than that. Ouch! Parts and upgrades are very expensive. Mechanics for these cars are not a dime a dozen and you will not want to take it to just any old Dodge dealership. THERE IS NO TRACTION CONTROL. There is almost 500 ft/lbs of torque. Find someone with one and at least sit in it. Go to some local events and really and I mean really look into it. If you're truly ready than do it. If you do you will not be disappointed. Good luck.

OP
OP
P

pugads651

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow thanks this one answerd all thanks. im going to start shopping this month hopefully i can find something around 35-40k range with less than 20k miles but i have to go with the abs cars beacuse if i get caught in the rain it aint stopping without it.

Last edited:

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Honestly, you will be hard pressed to find a 01-02 GTS for under 45k with that kinda mileage. I actually hope you dont, that means my car is worth about 30 bucks. ABS is not necessary.

I suggest you go sit in a GTS before you buy one.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is this a common excuse.

it went under a chain link fence and there was no frame damage.:rolleyes:

I don't know if it's common, but I heard that story when I was shopping for a Viper. You're probably looking at the same car I looked at.

Important to remember is the fact that the hood on this car costs around $20 purchased through a dealer, so if you damage it it's not too hard to reach the "total point" on a $40k car.

SteveMat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 99 Z28 and my 97 GTS at the same time for about 3 years before I sold the Camaro. The Viper is tighter getting in and out but once in, it is pretty good. I do have the 2 inch lowering kit.

OP
OP
P

pugads651

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cool thats good news hopefully this weekend im going to go to a local dodge dealer and try to see if i can fit my self into one ill keep you guys updated and i appreciate all the help.

jonathan

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are seriously considering this salvaged one I agree withe everyone who suggested getting it thoroughly checked out but I would also ask for pictures and documentation of the damage and repair. The Gen2s front suspension is stronger than the frame so if it slid into something and that wasn't replaced then it may be problems forever more; however, if they did replace that section it "may" be as good as new. I have seen 5 that have been rebuilt, 3 were good, two scared me.

OP
OP
P

pugads651

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think im going with a clean title car beacuse its not that much than a salvage one and i would feel a whole lot more comfortable with a good car instead of a previosly wrecked one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi