[PICS] 3M Carbon Fiber wrap on console

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after the thread located here: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...y-Console-and-Shifter-bezel-What-do-you-think I decided to take this project on myself. I had already bought super white LEDs to replace the dingy yellow bulbs backlighting the gauges, and since I already had MGW parts on the way, I figured what the hell. The MGW parts cover some of the problem areas and the console would already be off anyways. I was going to buy the Mopar carbon console, but really liked the look of the 3M material instead.

Just a few pics, with my iPhone. For some reason, my point and shoot messed up the colors so these will have to do until it warms up! This was a nice winter project for a cold day though. I have lots of experience with vinyl and/or decals, but apparently I don't have as much experience with the intricate curves and such of these panels. It was quite a challenge, and I'm a little disappointed around the window switches. It's just too deep and too many sharp curves in a small area to get the vinyl to lay in there properly. I already had the MGW Gripper shift knob and shifter bezel, but I replaced the shift knob (PM me to buy) with their red topped First Strike knob and added gauge bezels and the cupholder bezel too. Lastly, I replaced the black allen bolts on the vertical panel with stainless allen bolts from Home Depot.

I give it a 90% satisfaction grade. I'm not sure ripping it off and starting over would yield any better results though, so I'm gonna let it ride:headbang:

BEFORE

You must be registered for see images attach

IN PROGRESS

FINISHED

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great! Can't wait to see it in person, Ryan. Maybe you will inspire me to find something to wrap.

Thanks Jack. I think you'll be impressed with the vinyl. It has a texture to it, and appears 3D, not just like a carbon design on a flat sticker.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished hunting around for 'how to' videos on the internet, but they were all for wrapping the exteriors of cars. Do you have any links to how to use this 3M product on small parts like what you did?

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished hunting around for 'how to' videos on the internet, but they were all for wrapping the exteriors of cars. Do you have any links to how to use this 3M product on small parts like what you did?

You know I don't actually. I just did it based on my previous experience.

You really have to look at the piece you are going to wrap and imagine where you'll need "extra" material and heat it up to stretch it a bit, and also where you'll have extra material and you need it to lay flat. You have to plan ahead and "push" the extra to an edge or vent opening for example. Also, don't do 2 areas and then meet in the middle...you'll always have extra material and will get a wrinkle. I'm used to using a heat gun to stretch but used my wife's blow dryer with this.

Last edited:

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...so the material has an adhesive on the back that is heat activated? What type of tools do you need besides a heat gun/blow dryer...squeegee? Thanks for your help. It looks so good...I'm going to have to try this on my RT/10 interior parts.

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Youtube how to vehicle wrapp 3m. 3m has a few videos. Gives you all you need to know. I did mine as well this weekend but will post later, two posts the same night on the same topic is just wierd. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...so the material has an adhesive on the back that is heat activated? What type of tools do you need besides a heat gun/blow dryer...squeegee? Thanks for your help. It looks so good...I'm going to have to try this on my RT/10 interior parts.

It does have an adhesive but its not heat activated. The heat just helps stretch the material into different shapes than its normal state. You don't need any tools exact a nice sharp knife and a blow dryer.

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan
Once again good job, I like the look. One thing, I think what Canadian Snake was asking (Whats up with the odometer bulb in the last 2 pics it seems dim). I'm not sure but I think the light in the odometer is not on. If I remeber right I had to turn the bulb around to make it work. Your seem to not be on. Look at your first pic and then the others, First pic the odometer light is on. I will check tomorrow to see if I'm mistaken.

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan
Once again good job, I like the look. One thing, I think what Canadian Snake was asking (Whats up with the odometer bulb in the last 2 pics it seems dim). I'm not sure but I think the light in the odometer is not on. If I remeber right I had to turn the bulb around to make it work. Your seem to not be on. Look at your first pic and then the others, First pic the odometer light is on. I will check tomorrow to see if I'm mistaken.

Yeah it's working. Key is off, parking lights on and door is shut in those pics...therefore the odometer doesn't light up. Everything works though - I just ran out to the garage to double check! lol

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL! Your funny, ok good I guess I don't have to check. Good job on the dash.

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Aboluthank, do you recall the size of the stainless allen bolt you replaced? Thanks

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good. I went with the UV led's and love the improvement!

My wife says they look "ricer", but what do wives know :dunno:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456