Pics of driving lens slots?

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got my new driving lens covers to retrofit to my GTS. Found 'about' how they line up, but am now begging/hoping anyone has a picture of the world-famous 'slots' in their front fascia.

Figured if I was going to screw it up, may as well do it as close to factory as possible!

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
A

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm now stooping to responding to my own post. The very understandable problem is no one wants to snap the tabs off their lenses just to snap me a picture!

I'd be grateful for ANY close up shot of the lens in place, and then I can get some idea how/where the slots are. My perfectionism is acting up again.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you need to cut the slots to put the lens cover in? Doing for the look? Can't you just line the cover up and mark where the tabs go?

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are a few shots from a butchered ebay bumper.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
A

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THANK YOU THANK YOU! That is all I needed. With the part in hand and tabs sticking out (as tabs do) you can't get the silly thing IN the area you need it to 'mark'. So, this helps a ton. Just needed an estimate and can go from relative scale here. Thanks again.

By the way, that bumper is going to need buffing out. (Hey, at least it has undamaged driving/fog lamps!)

OP
OP
A

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to update: Got my new lens covers on. Best $130 I've spent. Protects $450 worth of lights and - to me - looks way better, more finished.

You'll also note I added some body side molding under my fascia to 'hopefully' protect against some driveway contact. Cut the front at an angle, we'll see how long it lasts, but a 25 foot roll was around $50, so spares abound.

If you do a search for 'Dakota Side Molding' (it's factory!) you'll see it's 1.5" wide, which is far wider than most.

Soon as my 'Klearz' side lights come in, my 'mini makeover' of the fascia will be complete.

Attachments

• 101_0091.jpg
    101_0091.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 101_0092.jpg
    101_0092.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
A

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ahudson, You going to make it to Huntsville or Bham this weekend?

http://forums.viperclub.org/alabama-tennessee/634583-al-tn-region-april-event-info.html

Darn it, 'no' said the dumb person. I'd absolutely love to, have a couple friends from here making me feel very guilty. However...

We foolishly agreed to host some party on Sunday, requiring that I go rent 6 tables and 36 chairs at 8am Saturday 'or else'. Take it from there.

Me and the Viper wish you guys (and select ladies) well. If you're coming through Montgomery, want to take a coffee break, I'd love to host a fellow Viper pal for however long you'd care to stop. My little garage is like 3 minutes off the interstate, downtown.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks great!:2tu:

I like the covers, but hate taking them on and off. I don't know if I would have the balls to cut the slots into a perfect facia. How did you make them, dremel?

OP
OP
A

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great!:2tu:

I like the covers, but hate taking them on and off. I don't know if I would have the balls to cut the slots into a perfect facia. How did you make them, dremel?

Thanks! Fortunately, unless something goes out, no need to remove them. I debated on the slots or merely silicone, but didn't want a homemade look, went with Dremel cut slots. I put a small bead of silicone at the very top to make sure any fascia deforming didn't spit out my covers!

Figured that if anyone wanted to revert, urethane filler and a blended shot of gray pearlcoat and I'm done.

To my eye, a vast improvement. Now when I look at the front of the car, it just looks sleeker, more aero, and 'intentionally' finished off.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny I paid someone to take my covers out and make it seem like they never existed. Your car looks much better with them :)

OP
OP
A

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny I paid someone to take my covers out and make it seem like they never existed. Your car looks much better with them :)

Argh - I shoulda bought your covers! (Or maybe just swapped fascias ;))

I think part of my desire stems from being an old Etype nut, and when the glass-covered lights went away (after the Series 1 cars), it was deemed the 'open' lights looked more modern, worked better, etc.

Yet collectors greatly disagree and vote for the aesthetics, paying accordingly.

I'm sure your's looks fantastic too. Hard to make an ugly Viper!

OP
OP
A

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like this, I might have to try it if I can find a set of covers.

There's a rumor going around that JonB has 'em! Otherwise, some of the better vendors will supply you - Tator, Larry's, perhaps even your good ol' local Dodge store (though mine wasn't too helpful).

Then you've got 97snk who may have a set, but now having seen the error of his ways... may be paying to have them put BACK on!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi