Picture of Torn Motor Mount -Gen 3

Kirkinsb

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In my 2003 Viper I had a shifter that would slap back and forth as the tires strained for traction. I very highly suspected a failed motor mount. Sure enough. Driver side motor mount had failed. Have not checked the passenger side as I know it is a royal pain in the butt to change. I replaced the driver side with a new rubber ANCHOR 2710. Checked the transmission mount and it looks brand new...

I will tackle the passenger side when I feel enthusiastic again. I would REALLY like it if someone has a step-by-step outline for changing the passenger side on a Gen 3 ***including where to jack the car up and then where to put the jack on the motor to move it enough to get the mount and bracket out. I barely had enough room to get the driver side out... I don't even want to try the passenger side until I know what has worked for others.

I heard that when motor mounts let go, it is typically the Driver side because the torque of the motor pulls the mount from that side as opposed to pushing the passenger side mount...yes/no? Anyway, here is the failed mount from the Driver side. Car is stock with 20K miles.

You must be registered for see images

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. The problem with that particular motor mount is that it is black but it clearly says that it's "pink". Anything that is clearly black, yet labeled as pink, is destined to fail.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. The problem with that particular motor mount is that it is black but it clearly says that it's "pink". Anything that is clearly black, yet labeled as pink, is destined to fail.

LOL.......

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow that thing did fail didn't it. Well there was a recent motor mount thread, and I'm sure JonB has some. Sorry that's got to be a pain!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Mine was equally roached when I got it out. Passenger side was actually pretty rough too, but as you mentioned it doesn't see quite the strain. I didn't look it up, but is the one you replaced the same material as what you took out (ie. rubber, not poly)? If they are different I would advise changing the other soon as the imbalance in support probably isn't good on things. The passenger side isn't terrible to take out, but it takes some good tetris skills and wiggling to finally get it to slip by things. I had to take off the "rainbow bar" I believe it's called (the piece across the front of the engine just below the throttle body). I was bad and just jacked up the oil pan, but did it with a large piece of plywood to spread the load.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang