Pictures of Finished '98 Red RT/10, Wetsanded

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thought more appropriate to post pictures of my RT/10, finished wetsanding and buffing:

You must be registered for see images attach

These are when it was just finished. I have since found a few small spots where I missed wiping wax...now done! I have also since cleaned the interior and windows.

I am very pleased with the smoothness of the paint now. Of course fiberglass being fiberglass, number one rule in body work/detailing, is you can't fix imperfections in the fiberglass by sanding the paint! That is a clear way to sand right through the clear coat. Only way to truly fix fiberglass imperfections is to take panel down to bare fiberglass, wetsand and then repaint.

Just some lessons learned from working in a body shop.

Peter

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Sweet. Its too bad pictures don't show the imperfections in the paint "before.' But, take it from me, it just wasn't equal to what I think Viper paint should be. Much closer now!:headbang:

Peter

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been contemplating wet sanding mine for quite some time now.

What grit did you start and finish with? I've been told to start with either 1000 or 1200 grit but would rather hear some first hand experience.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, this is just one person's opiinion, but I think 1000 might be taking a chance with sanding through the clear coat. Here's what I did:

- After making sure the car was clean (can feel with hand), started wetsanding with 2000 grit. What I am looking for with wetsanding is to make the paint finish as smooth as possible (close to mirror as possible). That means the reflection is straight. Keep in mind, you cannot correct bad fiberglass finish with wetsanding paint...I say that alot, but trying to do so is the quickest way to sanding through your clear coat!
- In any areas where there was orange peel, had a little on the sides (what I call the "roll bar" area, or what should be at least) in back of the windows, I used 1500. But, again, this needs to be light, with lots of patience and lots of checking.
- Once I had the smoothness I wanted, went back to a light sanding with 2000 again.

- Followed this with polish compound buffing, using a DeWalt variable speed (1400-3000) rotary buffer. I did three passes, each with increasing speed. First at 1400 to "clean up" the sanding marks, second at around 1800 using less pressure to begin the buffing, last (3rd) at around 2400 was buffing for shine using very light pressure (only enough to control the movement of the buffer).

- Next was Meguiar's Liquid Paint Cleaner with a random orbital buffer. This really brings out the shine and does the last bit of smoothing/polishing of the paint. I did each area twice to make sure the shine was even.

- Last was waxing with Meguiar's Gold Class Pure Carnuba paste wax. I prefer paste to liquid, as I like to apply by hand and prefer the feel of rubbing it in. The wax added a bit more depth to the shine, but you're pretty much there after the Paint Cleaner phase.

That's it! I am now looking into a new Mother's Product which is a shine enhancer that goes over the wax. I'm always looking for that "ultimate shine" so will try various products (at least once).

The key, especially at the wetsanding phase, is patience and a light hand. I also stop often, wipe with wet paper towel to see how the sanding is progressing...then wipe dry to always check the clear coat. No reason to oversand, if you have reached the desired effect.

Thanks.

Peter

Last edited:

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome! The car looks amazing!!! Thanks for posting your process. How long did it take you? (This can be in hours:minutes or cases of beer... :cool:)

+1 for red cars!!! :D

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Sweet, wasn't really tracking time but my wife said somewhere around 16 or so hours.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, did my best V10....next I'm going to put on a coat of Mother's Reflections which is a shine enhancer...actually goes on over the wax.:headbang:

Keep you posted.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Compliments always appreciated :D ....thanks very much.

It is smooth, however, pictures do give it an unreal, "drawn" kind of look.

Finally bit the bullet and am starting my detailing business. Only high end at this point, prefer Vipers....hence, the name (from my wife) is Snakeskin Detailing - "shed the old skin, for a new skin".

Interesting, not sure I like it that much, but that's what we ended up with.

Anyway, good economy to be starting a business!!! :eater:

Peter

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, latest is just received bottle of "Reflections Top Coat", a form of gloss/shine enhancer. Will be putting another coat of wax - Meguiar's Gold Class Carnuba Wax - followed by this shine enhancer.

Will post whether it is noticeably better...not sure photos will help, but will post anyway.

Peter