Pictures of my GTS race helmet...

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These pictures don't do the helmet justice, but they were the best I could do...

A friend of mine is a Formula Mazda racer and what seems to be part-time artist. I was telling him that I wanted a custom helmet that matched my black/silver stripe GTS and he told me that he custom paints helmets. I had seen his, so I had to have him do mine. The helmet is a snell 2005 HJC that he completely customized. He not only matched my black and silver paint (and has the stripes in the correct ratio) but also highlighted the entire helmet in a color that looks like my cognac interior!

The tear-away checkerboard is asymmetrical and is shadowed and outlined and he even had "Viper" made in correct font to use to paint it on the helmet. It is hard to see in the pictures, but my last name "Cunningham" is under the word Viper and the sneaky pete logo is also in cognac in the front center.

I had to put these pictures up, not so much for me, but to brag on the guy that painted it. It has about 8 coats of clear and was sanded to a bowling ball finish. It is neat how much it "mimics" my cars color combo and I am always amazed at guys that can do this kind of work...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very nice paint job!

it's SA rated helmet, not M? I need a new '05 full face

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome paint. Does this guy want some more business? It looks like a motorcycle helmet though.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SA (Snell Approved) standards require flammability testing while M (Motorcycle) rated helmets do not. SA is a higher rating that "DOT" approved helmets as well.

SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard doesn't, SA helmets allow narrower visual field than M standard helmets (some SA helmets aren't street legal). The helmets can look the same but have different ratings based on flammability and impact testing.

This year only SA 2000 and better are approved at most HPDE events

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here's a site I have used before, I got a G-force SA2000 full face helmet for under $200 (with graphics on it). If you think you are going to use it for more than a year I would go for an SA2005 rating helmet, full face. Bell and G Force make a lot of good affordable helmets.

price starts going up if you want all the bells and whistles, like being able to pull the lining out to wash it (yehp!), a lighter helmet (they can get heavy), more ventilation, etc.

http://www.soloracer.com/helmets.html

OP
OP
O

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To answer questions - yes, this is a SA 2005 rated helmet. It works well at Hallett and the drag strip. I wear a fire resistent balaclava under it for sweat and fire protection. SA vs. M deals with impact performance, and this helmet is suitable for use in vehicles (thanks Jon B.).

A custom painter can paint any helmet you want.

If anyone is interested in my guy, PM me and I will shoot you his number...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Anybody want to chime in on who is the best manufacturer, considering price, quality etc.?

G-forces on a helmet fatigue your neck and shoulders. Buy the LIGHTEST weight SA helmet you can afford.

Saving money on a helmet is like insuring your life for $200.

Try HELMET CITY at 888 343 5638 in CA. Ask KYLE for the VCA DISCOUNT

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
SA (Snell Approved) standards require flammability testing while M (Motorcycle) rated helmets do not. SA is a higher rating that "DOT" approved helmets as well.

SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard doesn't, SA helmets allow narrower visual field than M standard helmets (some SA helmets aren't street legal). The helmets can look the same but have different ratings based on flammability and impact testing.

This year only SA 2000 and better are approved at most HPDE events

BINGO. Ironic that the first impact of a bike-rider on pavement (for example) would probably be more catastrophic than a roadracer into his rollbar.....but the SA-rated helmet is a higher rating, and can take MORE repeated impacts than an M-rated helmet.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
These pictures don't do the helmet justice, but they were the best I could do...

Thanks.... I would not mind seeing some OTHER helmets too( rather than heads!)
Ive seen some very nice Snakey themes over the years...one guy had a veritable MEDUSA on his head.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4