Pilot Sport Cups pressure?

TommyG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just had 295's front and stock size rears put on my new 6 spokes that I had pwdr coated satin black.

Going to the TWS viper days and wondering if I should drive them from San Antonio to event at 29 psi all around on hwy?

For those who have tracked with the cups, what tire pressure do you start cold and try to run them hot?

I use these on my 911 turbo which stock specs are 36 ft/44 rear but I typically start them at 30 cold and try keep them at 37 hot so wondering what would be best for the viper?

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
29psi cold should be fine on the hwy. I would talk to Archer Racing(John or Russ) when you get to TWS about tire pressures, they can probably give you the best advice. However, in my opinion the 37 psi hot range you ran on the Porsche sounds about right for the Viper.

-David

OP
OP
T

TommyG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
29psi cold should be fine on the hwy. I would talk to Archer Racing(John or Russ) when you get to TWS about tire pressures, they can probably give you the best advice. However, in my opinion the 37 psi hot range you ran on the Porsche sounds about right for the Viper.

-David

Ok, Thanks for the advise.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran this weekend at Mid-Ohio on them for the first time (the tire not Mid-Ohio). Im not impressed yet over my PSII but im having the car re-aligned and corner balanced again with them. Anyway I ran 36F 34R and came back in HOT near 39F 37R. They seemed better at that range than the original 30 range I started them cold at.

On a side note... the Hossier tech at the track told us Viper drivers (me and Leslie)we should be running our street tires starting in the lower 40PSI's cold:dunno: I didn't have the balls to make that big of a change but I started going up in pressure after that meeting and it helped but I didn't get much more track time after that because of mechanical issues. Anyway thats directly from the Hoosier guys so take it for what its worth.

OP
OP
T

TommyG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ran this weekend at Mid-Ohio on them for the first time (the tire not Mid-Ohio). Im not impressed yet over my PSII but im having the car re-aligned and corner balanced again with them. Anyway I ran 36F 34R and came back in HOT near 39F 37R. They seemed better at that range than the original 30 range I started them cold at.

On a side note... the Hossier tech at the track told us Viper drivers (me and Leslie)we should be running our street tires starting in the lower 40PSI's cold:dunno: I didn't have the balls to make that big of a change but I started going up in pressure after that meeting and it helped but I didn't get much more track time after that because of mechanical issues. Anyway thats directly from the Hoosier guys so take it for what its worth.

Did he mean street tires while used on track at low 40's cold or street tires when driven on street low 40's cold?

Would the MPS cup tires be considered street tires or track tires I wonder?

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was talking street michelan tires on track Cold. His theory sounded good but he also said go up in increments so you get used to the feel. He talked about Hoosier R6 after that

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started @ 30 cold psi all around on my Cups, and moved to 32 cold psi for subsequent sessions at Laguna Seca. Mild temp day; we were up 3-4 psi at session end. Treadwear indicates that contact patch was just about ideal... this was at stock ride height with track settings on the KWs.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am starting higher cold, and they seem to work best when they are in the low 40s when hot. Try 34-35 cold and I personally like a two lb bias front to back, but know quite a few are running their Sport Cups at the same pressure all the way around.

Best advice would be to ask John Archer when you are at TWS. Driving down at 29 lbs is perfect , no problem.

YELLOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Start off with 29LBS cold. You should be between 34 & 36 lbs hot when you come in that should be perfect.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Street at 29-29 is just fine. Makes the ride a bit more civilised too.

I like 32F, 30R as a CUP starting point for track, with a HOT target of 39-40 PSI.

I have to acknowledge BillPs advice becasue on Cups at MMSP he was Waaay faster than me on PS2. Waaay faster. So if he says Low 40s...be sure you are taking temps timely, during a hot lap, and NOT after a cool-down of any kind.

Note:
PERFORMANCE ALIGNMENT ESSENTIAL:
If any of you can get an appointment with Russ @ Archer when they are in your area.. DO IT.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I will echo that statement by Jon, Russ, at Archer, is absolutely top notch, and at the NARRA event ( TWS ) it would be wise to get the alignment set. Don't wait till the last minute as they get completely booked quite early, so call ahead.

Archer Racing Accessories
218-727-4806

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Michelin engineer that worked on the development of the tires for the Viper liked to run his PS2s at around 40 cold. I tried them at that pressure and hated them. The Viper vehicle dynamics engineer told me to leave them about stock pressure 29 or 30 cold. Prefer them at this temp. Haven't run the Cups yet on the track but I'd start at 30 and go up in increments.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a track day yesterday at Mt-Tremblant Qc and the fastest guy there on a stock 08 ACR was adjusting his Sport Cups at 32 HOT all around after each session, he said he starts them about 27 cold. He got this tip from other fast racers on sport cups and said with more pressure he can feel the back end getting a bit airy or unstable. This seems like the opposite of what others go by here. Go figure !

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...reviving an old thread; there have been a lot of laps run in the last two years. Chip in with your experiences on-track with the Cups. ACR info especially!

Thanks,

Rich

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Street 29 is the number cold all the way around. Tracks have lots of variables also how you drive ,track layout and suspension come into play.The key to Cups is to keep them at around 36 hot . I find anything higher they tend to be skatey. I would rather see you keep pressures constant and have you first adjust suspension then use the pound or two in the tires to fine tune suspension settings. See what the car is doing on the track first. Rule of thumb: if it’s doing it at the entrance to a turn work with the front of the car and if it’s doing something at the exit work with the rear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte