Pilot Sport Cups, Side Sill Protection, and Paint Protection Spray

Swanny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just how bad do the ACR's Pilot Sport Cups tear up the side sills?

Has anyone used several coats of a paint protection spray on the bottom of the sills and right behind the front tires? A trusted auto body guy/painter (who has painted dozens of Vipers) has a spray he has used that he thinks will make the side sills last longer. This is by no means perfect protection but maybe I would get 10,000 miles (vs. 1,000? 2,000?) on the car before it looks tore up from a distance. (I'm sure the car will still look a bit beat up from two feet away when it's up on a lift -- but I can live with that. I just don't want to feel the need to repaint it in less than 10,000 miles which is maybe two years of driving for me.)

I've seen the two different types of plastic or carbon fiber 'bolt-on' protectors recently out on this forum. I'm sure those would likely work the best for full protection (and I love the vendors on here for trying for a solution!), but I'm not sure if I like the look enough (more pics of the JonB carbon fiber version would help!). I'm just trying to get 10,000+ miles with some miles on the track without the car looking all beat up.

Clear bra is another option but I've heard some mixed reviews about peeling and it looking like tore up plastic sheeting on the sills after a few thousand miles. Not against this option, either.

Any thoughts appreciated.

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suggest to put a clear mask protection, that is what I plan to do.

Another question though, does ACR comes with cups out of factory? How long these tires last on the street use, how many miles people can put on them?

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the new ACRs came with PS2 tires. I guess clear bra is your best bet and replace it when it starts to deteriorate.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the carbon fiber stone-guards from Parts Rack last week, and they look good. I was afraid they'd look cheesy, but they compliment the other carbon fiber pieces on the ACR really nicely. I'd prefer to not have them on the car, but they install/uninstall in less than five minutes, so if I needed to remove them for a car get-together or whatever, it's easy to do.

The Pilot Sport Cups do pick up pebbles and rocks quite easily - and you can hear them smacking against the side sills constantly. I must be the luckiest ACR owner in the world, though, because I drive the car on roads that constantly have pea-gravel sized rocks, and I constantly hear them pinging up against the car, but I didn't have a single chip when I installed the stone guards. I had less than a thousand miles on the car, but I still expected to have chips all over the place.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Stone Guards and clear bra on my car. I use the Sport Cups as coffee table stands and put on a set of PS2's.

Bruce

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Stone Guards and clear bra on my car. I use the Sport Cups as coffee table stands and put on a set of PS2's.

Bruce

You should use the wing as a head board!

I run cups 100% of the time. They wear pretty good on the street and actually last fairly well on the track once you have a proper alignment. Despite popular opinion, they're excellent rain tires - especially with a track alignment. I've run PS2's and cups in the rain (on the exact same car) and prefer (and get faster lap times) with the Cups! Even in heavy rain.

The cup tires do pick up a lot of stones. I can hear them striking the car all the time but so far my paint looks good.

I'm the odd guy out here since I just hate that 3M film stuff. I think it looks terrible. I'd rather repair a chip than have that film on the car - but I think I'm in the minority.

I have 9000km on my car and the paint is holding up very well. Should it be damaged I'll just get it repaired.

Here's an idea - wait until VOI 11 then take a look around at the cars. That'll answer your question.

Greg

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clear bra on mine (if you want the show car look, do not go this route), still running the stock PSC's, they like to throw stuff at your paint....

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, on Tuesday night I put on a track event for the local Ferrari Maseratti dealer. I had my ACR on the track and hit a duck - a Mallard. It hit the roof just above the driver. No damage.

To the car.

The duck? Not so good.

Greg

Reaction score
I'm one of the few that fully are with you! I run the Hoosier A6's all the time and no clear bra! Paint it when you need because CB just looks like crap IMO, looks just as beat up and swirly after use and impossible to look good over stripes.

Of course Bruce never drives his so he may not agree :lmao:

You should use the wing as a head board!

I run cups 100% of the time. They wear pretty good on the street and actually last fairly well on the track once you have a proper alignment. Despite popular opinion, they're excellent rain tires - especially with a track alignment. I've run PS2's and cups in the rain (on the exact same car) and prefer (and get faster lap times) with the Cups! Even in heavy rain.

The cup tires do pick up a lot of stones. I can hear them striking the car all the time but so far my paint looks good.

I'm the odd guy out here since I just hate that 3M film stuff. I think it looks terrible. I'd rather repair a chip than have that film on the car - but I think I'm in the minority.

I have 9000km on my car and the paint is holding up very well. Should it be damaged I'll just get it repaired.

Here's an idea - wait until VOI 11 then take a look around at the cars. That'll answer your question.

Greg

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm one of the few that fully are with you! I run the Hoosier A6's all the time and no clear bra! Paint it when you need because CB just looks like crap IMO, looks just as beat up and swirly after use and impossible to look good over stripes.

That is not totally true. I just do not drive over 35 MPH...lol

Bruce

OP
OP
S

Swanny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone use or hear of paint protection spray? I'm only looking at this for the side sills, not the front fascia or anywhere else.

Another question though, does ACR comes with cups out of factory? How long these tires last on the street use, how many miles people can put on them?
ACRs comes with Pilot Sport Cups from the factory. It's my first set (<100 miles on them) so I don't know how many miles they might last.

I installed the carbon fiber stone-guards from Parts Rack last week, and they look good. I was afraid they'd look cheesy, but they compliment the other carbon fiber pieces on the ACR really nicely. I'd prefer to not have them on the car, but they install/uninstall in less than five minutes, so if I needed to remove them for a car get-together or whatever, it's easy to do..
Any pics from different angles and distances?

... but I didn't have a single chip when I installed the stone guards. I had less than a thousand miles on the car, but I still expected to have chips all over the place.

Greg
That's what I want to hear! Maybe no protection is ok for me since I'm ok with a few chips but don't want the sills to be so tore up that it distracts from the rest of a great looking car.

FWIW, on Tuesday night I put on a track event for the local Ferrari Maseratti dealer. I had my ACR on the track and hit a duck - a Mallard. It hit the roof just above the driver. No damage.

To the car.

The duck? Not so good.

Greg
Not planning on hitting any waterfowl but good to know anyway. Very helpful.:)

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told SSG would be very hard to match if I needed a repaint, that is why I went with the clear bra. I see you have an SSG also, so that might be something to consider.

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you guys think one can get 10K miles from cups running everyday and occasion track days?

Reaction score
Well this is a VERY true statement so in that instance it would be advised, plus you can't see it on this color hardly at all.

I was told SSG would be very hard to match if I needed a repaint, that is why I went with the clear bra. I see you have an SSG also, so that might be something to consider.

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way, and if you did they would be so heat cycled they would be dangerous to drive anyway.
Mark, so what mileage are we talking about than? Above people stated they got 9K kilometers on the tires that is like 5.5K miles. Is 6K miles more likely to get out of cups with street and few times a year track events?

Reaction score
Mark, so what mileage are we talking about than? Above people stated they got 9K kilometers on the tires that is like 5.5K miles. Is 6K miles more likely to get out of cups with street and few times a year track events?

I would think that after 4-5K street miles that would be worn and hard. If you are also tracking considerably less usable life.

Reaction score
I need to update this statement, The biggest problem with CB on any car is the installer not the film if a super high quality film is used and proper prep of the surface under.

I have seen some great work, but most installers are fly by night and don't stick around long enough to get "good" at their trade. Some more established vendors that don't see the turnover are very skilled and deserve the premium they get for the work.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to update this statement, The biggest problem with CB on any car is the installer not the film if a super high quality film is used and proper prep of the surface under.

I have seen some great work, but most installers are fly by night and don't stick around long enough to get "good" at their trade. Some more established vendors that don't see the turnover are very skilled and deserve the premium they get for the work.

I agree 100% - but it's still easily visible, especailly on dark coloured cars.

If you're the type of guy that's bothered by 'orange peel paint' this film would drive you nuts.

Greg

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have my whole front (fenders ,hood, sills, bumper, mirrors,part of wing) wrapped and love the stuff. Most people would never tell it on there.

As for tire wear on the Cups I just replaced my fronts that corded at 4,500 miles

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree 100% - but it's still easily visible, especailly on dark coloured cars.

If you're the type of guy that's bothered by 'orange peel paint' this film would drive you nuts.

Greg

I can show you pictures of the film I use on a black Viper... close up shots... and you will not even know its on the car. I have photos of the film I use side by side with 3M and its easily visible where the 3M is due to the orange peel. There are numerous films out there and only a couple of good ones thats do not have any orange peel to them. If you dont beleive me send me your email and I will be happy to send you the link to my website where I have some photos or I will email them directly to you.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can show you pictures of the film I use on a black Viper... close up shots... and you will not even know its on the car. I have photos of the film I use side by side with 3M and its easily visible where the 3M is due to the orange peel. There are numerous films out there and only a couple of good ones thats do not have any orange peel to them. If you dont beleive me send me your email and I will be happy to send you the link to my website where I have some photos or I will email them directly to you.

Why not post a pic or two?

What product is it?

Greg

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure how to post images on here. You would think it would be as simple as inserting one from a drop down menu but they have to be difficult about it. Anyway the film is VentureShield Ultra... its a very smooth film. An even better film that has just recently come out is Avery Denision Nano Fusion film. It is perfectly smooth... no texture what so ever. It also is embedded with the clear coat material making it very slick and resistant to staining.