piolt sport cups of hoosier r6/a6?

doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what do you prefer for strictly track use? i know the michliens last a little longer, but the price difference is pretty outrageous. for those of you with the hoosiers, do you notice them wearing fast? i would think with a treadwear rating of 40, they wouldnt last more than a few long days at the track. any input would be great.
thanks

btw - size wise this is 345/30/19r and 285/30/18f

thanks

OP
OP
D

doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mostly open track days at willow springs and the like. im not anywhere close to a professional driver, but i'm trying to get better. if the hoosiers are going to get beat up quickly because i'm a novice, i would rather spend the extra money and buy the sport cups now and get some more use out of them.

OP
OP
D

doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats what im thinking. thanks, might be giving you a call in the near future.

Jeff Monheim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have used both of these tires on the same car 08 SRT10, and the same track. Watkins Glenn NY (High speed track) and Toronto Motor Sport Park ONT.(technical track)cups are ok. I thought I liked them (over ps2)until I tried the Hoosier R6. I never did wearout the Sport cups, (by tread depth) used them about 8 track days (110-135 Miles a day)and about 700 road miles. I think they were used up for the track though, as the color changed a Purpleish color on the sholders, from repeated heat cycles) The feed back was minimal to ok and stuck better than ps2. Now the Hoosier R6 stick much better, give better feed back and did not wearout from heat or wear, so far, but I only have 5 track days on this set. and 20 street miles. (should not drive the Hoosiers on the street).
I will say I bought both sets from PartsRack and Tire Rack heat cycled them before shipping. Heat cycling is the only way to go IMO.
By feed back I meen you can feel the tire slipping in the turns before it breaks free and you go spinning out of control. The Sport cups break away a little faster with less warning, and the Hoosiers have a nicer slide or slippage to them and you are still under control through the turn, as long as you stay "smooth" you should not go spinning out of control. You can push any tire beyond their limits but I feel the Hoosier R6 tire will be a better value for the dollar as long as you have two sets of tires and wheels, one for the street and one for the track. If you just want one tire to drive to the track and back the Sport Cup is the way to go. I hope this helps.
Good luck Have fun, BE SAFE!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: PILOT Sport Cups or hoosier r6/a6?

At VOI-10, SRT engineers related their 'near amazement' at how long the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups [MPSC] lasted in their aggressive ACR testing. The famous Nurenburgring Video? I dont think it was widely known, but I recall SRT saying that record-setting run was done on well-used Sport Cups!

Road-hazard protection exists with MPSC, that does NOT exist with the 'easily chunked' Hoosier. And you lumped R6 and A6 in your question... R-6 would be the track tire.
For pure stickiness/fastest laps, HOOSIER R6......on dedicated track wheels please.

JEFF, et al: PartsRack can save you some serious money on CUPS.....heated or not. You can see in archives here, that PartsRack was the first entity to offer the 19" SRT Cups for sale, WELL BEFORE the ACR debut... We run 90+% of our orders thru LUKE, so both sponsors can earn your business, THANKS. If Hoosier is your choice, please run that thru Luke at ext 362.....we cant beat his Hoosier deals...

Thanks.........

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can push any tire beyond their limits but I feel the Hoosier R6 tire will be a better value for the dollar as long as you have two sets of tires and wheels, one for the street and one for the track.

This will be the case. One set for the street (stock PS2's) and one set for the track.

And you lumped R6 and A6 in your question... R-6 would be the track tire.
For pure stickiness/fastest laps, HOOSIER R6......on dedicated track wheels please.

I guess i should be asking what the difference is between the two (a6/r6) then. There isn't much to go by on the Hoosier web site. And yes, definitely track tires only.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guess i should be asking what the difference is between the two (a6/r6) then. There isn't much to go by on the Hoosier web site. And yes, definitely track tires only.

R6 is for road racing like Willow. A6 is an autocross tire.

If you get a set of 18's wheels then you have other options such as Toyo's or Kumho's that are stickier than PS2's and can be driven to/from the track. Take a look at JonB's price on Kumho's.

OP
OP
D

doc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what size would i be looking at in the rear? could i go with a 345 still? 13" wide wheel? thanks for all the input so far.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what size would i be looking at in the rear? could i go with a 345 still? 13" wide wheel? thanks for all the input so far.

Both the Hoosier R6 and A6 as well as the Sport Cups are available in the stock 345/30/19 size and will fit on the OEM 19 x 13 rim.

/Rich

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If your question relates to 18" wheels, go with 18X13, and use a 335X30X18 rear tire.

On the front go with an 18X11 wheel, then use 295 or 305 tires.

cheryl mccally

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what do you prefer for strictly track use? i know the michliens last a little longer, but the price difference is pretty outrageous. for those of you with the hoosiers, do you notice them wearing fast? i would think with a treadwear rating of 40, they wouldnt last more than a few long days at the track. any input would be great.
thanks

btw - size wise this is 345/30/19r and 285/30/18f

thanks
I'm on my third set of sport cups on the front of my '08 ACR and the 2nd set of rears. The rears still aren't worn out tread wise but the combined "sticky" of both front and rear has degraded substantially. I ran this set of fronts down to the cords though as some of my PCA racing friends do because of the cost of tires in general. My original rears have 9,000 miles on them and the second set of fronts 4,500. I was at TWS this last weekend and those old tires cost me some faster lap times, but I'm just learning still so a few seconds faster at $1800 a weekend is not something I want to do. The weekend before, a friend of mine and a race car driver drove a few laps in my car at MSR Cresson and did a 1:19 on those old tires on the 1.7 track. That's smoking fast on that track so the fast driver is still the difference in fast lap times with great tires being a secondary variable. I have two sets of wheels but I hae PS2's on the street set of Forgelines. I'm depbating whether or not to buy a set of Hoosiers just to try them now and save the spare set of Sport cups for later. But I know I will not have the convenience of driving to the track and not changing out the wheels nor will I get 4,500 and 9,000 miles on the Hoosiers will very little performance degradation. It will ultimately depend I guess on what you want to spend and what you what to do right now in order to drive faster on the track. Many swear by Hoosiers and hate Sport Cups, many love Sport Cups because of the convenience and the ultimate less cost since they last so much longer. It will be your choice.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's your budget? How serious are you? If $$$ not an issue, and you are serious, None of the above....get Hoosier VRL's in 18" sizes. (Sponsors don't sell em, will never recommend em...) It was developed for the Comp Coupe. No chunking. Faster than MPSC. Better than an R6. 16-18 heat cycles (degrading after 12).
As for the A6, that tire is the way to go if you time trial on a road course and want to get absolute fastest times possible...it heats up in one lap (versus two or three for VRL's) but goes away (gets slick) after about 3 laps. If you are a novice and want to support sponsors, go with JB suggestion. Have fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang