Play hooky come to WSIR Friday July 12th...

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'll see if I can get away..

Gotta watch the chickens, usually.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
OK, Ron, I'm registered for Willowsprings on 7-12. Gonna make time, because racing is my life, you know.
smile.gif

Thanks for the URL and the tip. Thats a lot of fun for like dirt cheap. Cheap thrills. Don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

My first time out, I am going to try not to get a woodchuck, thats my goal. Because I feel I probably would have a tendency to try too hard, beyond my skill level. Its gonna be hard not to go overboard and want to impress you, John, and Craig. Go easy on me!

email me, lets hook up for the trip. k?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Today was a blast at WillowSprings. There was a bunch of us VCA guys, and a lot of S2000s, BMWs, NSX's, and a couple of Mustangs, and two Corvettes, and one Supra.

My first session, I was all twisted up and spastic, trying to find the line, while John Dearing was telling me when to brake, where to turn in, and all.

It was all a little overwhelming for the first session. I was driving crappy, zig zagging all over, ugh!

My second session, Ron Wasserman went out with me for 5 laps, to help me learn the "line". I was calming down by then. Then I went solo, my first time ever at any track event in my life, and I started to apply what I was taught. I gained confidence, gained speed, and turned a 1:44, which is not a stellar performance for a stock Viper at Willow, but at least it was better then my first session.

It was 108 degrees out, and after a couple of hours, the track started to get greasy, and the cars went squirrely. Plus, some other cars were spinning off track, scooping up rocks, and depositing them on the track.

As the afternoon got hotter, everybody's times suffered, (I think), and we were all drinking water like fish. I went out one more time, and managed to make it around the the mysterious turn 3! (Earlier, I almost went off there, because I kept wanting to turn in too early)

By the end of my third session, I thought I had done really well, because I was passing a couple of cars on every lap, and hitting the line more than ever. But when I went to look at my times, they were actually worse, 1:46, 1:48, etc, because by that time, the track had "went away".

Thanks to JoeB01, SSpeed Racer, Craig, and Ron Wasserman, for all their help in instructing, use of blue masking tape, sunscreen, driving gloves, etc, etc, etc. Where would us newbies be without our mentors? It was fun going with "y'all". Next time, I hope to apply more of what I was taught today.

That was not anything like driving on the street. It's a whole different ball game! Yeah, you are still making the car go forward, but thats about all that is the same as street driving.

The Viper is one awesome car! Thanks again, guys.

It was a blast!

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed it Vic. You were just starting to make good progress when it just got too HOT! I assume you're "hooked" now and we'll be seeing you again.

BTW, why didn't you return John's call about dinner? We ended up at the Elephant Bar near his office. I bought so you missed out
wink.gif

Thanks to all the Viper guys who came out today. I had a great time too. See you again soon
smile.gif

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Craig, John told me to call you and see what you wanted to do. Dinner was just a suggestion, and I thought he already asked you. It would have been a good idea to just keep him on the phone, and do a three way call with you.

I never caught up to you guys, or maybe I was way ahead. But I couldn't call to find out, 'cause my battery went dead.

That was some drive home. Took me about three hours.

I just emailed Tony with my new avatar, so hopefully it'll be up soon. I can't wait to post with it!

regards, Vic

Killer Bee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of the Vipers at the event.......

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Hope to see and hear from all of you soon.

Lance "Soon To Lap Ron" Watkins

Killer Bee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of photos from Willow Springs......

Here is where I would like to see them!!!!!

It is hard to get used to being on the track in 1st gear as to not pass Ron.

Lance

No luck - someone please tell me how to get the photos up?????

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Killer Bee:

Lance "Soon To Lap Ron" Watkins

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Put a set of Hoosiers on that puppy and you've got a shot, you did well. TOO WELL you sandbagging liar, you've done this before, I saw Erik up at BW Friday night and warned him about you.

Killer Bee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron

Might take more than tires to lap you........

Just back from Willow for the 2nd time (REALLY NO SANDBAGGING!!!) 2nd time on a road course!!!

Erik is a very good instructor. Halfway through the day I think my times were in the 36's and 37's?? I am only guessing based on the previous trip and Erik's judgement since there were no timed laps. My instructor put me on different lines that allowed much more throttle out of and in turns. Most notable is being full throttle in the middle of turn 8! Makes 9 a whole new game? Unfortunately a Z06 went off twice as well as a couple of others, but I think the Z06 might not survive the last one. Off in 8 as well as a flatbed to who knows where?

I am off to get a few mods to keep up with you guys.

Hope to see you soon.

Lance (Really Not Sandbagging) Watkins
Just more foot than skill.

SSpeed Racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lance what kind of line where you running in turn 8?? Did he have you start out high then come back down to the bottom of the track so you were straight lined in to the braking zone in turn 9??

I dont think I can get any faster than 127 in turn 8. But if there is a faster way i would like to know !!!
smile.gif