Please Explain: VEC2, VEC3??

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, maybe I should know this, but I only bought my Viper in May. Just from reading some posts, it sounds like a performance computer mod that changes timing and fuel flow...but, that is more of a guess.

Looking down the road at other mods, wanted to know if I should include this one at some point. What other mods are needed/work better with a VEC2/3 addition?:dunno:

Thanks.

Peter

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peter: Sean Roe can explain the VEC3 best to you. Shoot him a PM (as ParisianViper pointed out). We installed the VECII on our '05 (VECIII was not out at that time)...yes, it helped to 'tune' the car...you then have a card reader that reads the 'stock' card OR your updated mods card tune. I think you should talk to Sean about all of this...as the SCT is available now too...making tuning much easier. ~juli

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peter, I have the Vec3 and for a stock Viper its not the best option. Look into the SCT Tuner. Roe, Viper Specialty, DC Performance and many other site sponsors sell them. It's literally plug and play, no need to splice into the factory wiring. Tunes are emailed. It also helps tune for both closed and open loop operations whereas the Vec is mostly for open loop. If you plan on staying stock or even doing exhaust, headers I would recommend the SCT. If you're serious, get a few dyno pulls and log the AFR ratio. Send the dyno sheet to the vendor of your choice and they will get you a custom SCT tune. Try giving Dan Lesser a call at Viper Specialty and he can explain the differences as well as what kind of tuning/gains/features to expect with both units.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, everyone...thanks for the info. Rather than waste anyone's time, I will keep these references and contact them when it is time to actually install this tuning device.

Thanks, as usual Tony....you're correct, even with mods, they will be pretty simple - smooth tubes, S&B filters, exhaust and probably not too much more. I'd love to do Sean's supercharger, but in my life, that's just not happening...to quote my wife, "definitely not happening!":nono::nono::nono::nono: With kids and all the work coming up to the house, it just doesn't fit.:eater:

Will certainly ask the experts as I get up to each step.

Thanks and everyone enjoy their weekend.:headbang:

Peter

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, everyone...thanks for the info. Rather than waste anyone's time, I will keep these references and contact them when it is time to actually install this tuning device.

Thanks, as usual Tony....you're correct, even with mods, they will be pretty simple - smooth tubes, S&B filters, exhaust and probably not too much more. I'd love to do Sean's supercharger, but in my life, that's just not happening...to quote my wife, "definitely not happening!":nono::nono::nono::nono: With kids and all the work coming up to the house, it just doesn't fit.:eater:

Will certainly ask the experts as I get up to each step.

Thanks and everyone enjoy their weekend.:headbang:

Peter

Well, I bought the Vec3 two years ago with the plan that I would have a Roe installed by now. I'm in the same boat as you as I have more important priorities with family, house, job, etc. But someday I WILL have a Roe or some serious internal engine work done. Don't get me wrong, the Vec3 is great and I love the logging feature but I do wish I had more control over closed loop operations that the SCT tuner has. If I were to do it again, and the SCT was available in '06, I would've gotten the SCT. In the end, I'll end up with both. Talk to the experts and you'll be fine.