plug swap

SEEEEYA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
working on swapping out plugs, for some reason plug socket will not go on 2 plugs on driver side and so far first one on passenger side I can't remove either, do I need a special size wrench or is that liner that is around plug off location a little? does that liner come out?I sure as heck don't want to pound the socket on to the old plug. any suggestions??

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Those shields are just some heavy gauge sheet metal as far as I can tell and could probably be removed with a good yank of pliers. I swapped my plugs out when I first bought my car and remember them being annoying as well, though my problem was that I had a hard time getting the boots off and couldn't get a good grip with those shields in the way. Never did remove them, but I wiggled them around some trying to figure out how they were held in.

OP
OP
S

SEEEEYA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
my problem is if I cant get those shields off I cant get the plugs OUT, makes for an uneasy situation, but if I have to I will try and remove the shields, unless anyone else has any ideas

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Have you got a thinner wall socket by chance? Might just be that your socket is a little too fat and the clearance between the shields and plugs is too tight for it. I know the spark plug sockets tend to run a tad larger due to the rubber insert thing that holds the plug. Try a regular 3/8" drive socket maybe?

OP
OP
S

SEEEEYA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well I did what you 1st suggested and gave it a good yank with pliers, not a twist like I did the first time , just a yank with a little wiggle and off they came, then just tap them back in with a little hammer, thanks for the help

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Awesome, glad it worked out for you! I didn't have the heart to try to pull mine because I didn't think I'd have the room to knock them back in. It was one of my back cylinders that was giving me grief, so access was bad enough to begin with.

OP
OP
S

SEEEEYA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thats where I am right now the 2 back cylinders, the passenger side is facing toward the front of the car which should be easy to get back on but driver side is facing to the rear and I need to find something to "push" it back in.. If it would be an 8 cylinder I would be DONE

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte