Plugging a run flat..................

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This morning as I started my car, the chime began to ring and I noticed that the "Low Tire" indicator was on. Went to my local tire guy and the right rear was at 19 lbs. I felt around it and felt the head of what turned out to be a 2" sheet metal screw.

They didn't want to dismount the tire and I could fully understand their reluctance. So, the screw was pulled and the tire was plugged.

I know I've read other posts about plugging these tires, but I can't remember if it's an acceptable practice.

Your thoughts.................

Don

BTW, it took about 15 minutes for the chime to stop after the tire was plugged.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don --

I did a quick google search and found the following Michelin PDF regarding repair of their ZP (zero pressure) tires:

www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=michelin+zero+pressure+repair&btnG=Google+Search

On page 2 of the PDF it states that the tire can be repaired but only once. From my own experience, I know that several tire stores will not repair run flats. Depending on the location and extent of the puncture (for example, punctures a certain distance from the reinforced sidewall may not be repairable as opposed to those near the center of the tread itself), the tire could be plugged. I had a Pirelli runflat tire repaired recently and the shop removed the rim to inspect for potential damage to the rim and interior of the tire. The then scuffed the interior of the tire and applied a patch, not just a plug.

Hope this helps.

/Rich

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most manufacturers consider a repaired tire as non speed rated. An externally plugged tire is a major no-no. I found out why, on my wifes car. I took her tire and rim down to the local tire shop because of a puncture. The puncture didn't look that bad, it looked like a 16 penny nail had punctured it in the center of the tire. At first glance the tire guy said he should have it patched without an issue. He came back after dismounting the tire and showed me what he found. A screwdriver caused the puncture, it must have snapped the handle off immediately, and was in the rim. The shaft caused all kinds of surface scatches in the rim for the few seconds it took the tire to lose pressure. What was a screwdriver doing on the freeway? This is LA, the land of poeple that don't know how to tie anything down and could give a s$%# about anyone else. Sorry for the rant. Anyway check that plugged tire for proper inflation regularly. Tirerack has a great write up on this topic in their Tire Tech section under "additional tire tech articles - Puncture Repairs"

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't drive with a plugged tire. Have it dismounted and see if your tire shop can put in a vulcanized patch which should be OK for everyday driving - not high speed. If it's a center tread puncture and not too large, they should be able to but don't know if they can patch it once a plug has been used

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a screw in one of my rears and the biggest problem was finding a place that could handle the size of the rims. Hit the phone book and keep calling until you find a place that can handle them confidently. As long as the damage is an inch away from the sidewall your pretty safe, but as stated earlier no more guarantee for the Z rating, but definately ditch the plug.

OP
OP
D

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I apreciate all the informative responses. It's hard for me to believe that a $400+ tire is essentially ready for the graveyard once it's been punctured.

If I go ahead and have the tire dismounted and patched internally, will that produce an acceptable result?

I don't track my car and usually run only at highway speeds (75-80 mph). Is it safe the way it is?

Thanks ya'll.......

Don

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My puncture was at 13000 miles and I now have almost 19000 and have had no problems. I do not track mine very much either, only once and did 5 runs. But 6000 miles on the patch and no issues and I don't worry about the occasional getting on it either! (I've been to 100mph on the patch)

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Depending on the mileage, Discount Tire (through Michelin) may pro-rate the cost of a new tire. Had the same thing happen on my '04 with 2k miles at the time. I was able to buy a new tire at half the price of a new one.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depending on the mileage, Discount Tire (through Michelin) may pro-rate the cost of a new tire. Had the same thing happen on my '04 with 2k miles at the time. I was able to buy a new tire at half the price of a new one.

Good advice! from Michelin's standpoint I have been told that they do not want their Run Flat tires repaired. I have heard of some viper owners who have gone back to Dodge and Dc has replaced the tire under warranty. It might be worth a shot.