Polished Valve Covers for your Snake

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and you already have them on the car...

Here are a couple of pictures of my polished valve covers. They were actually pretty simple to do, use a media blaster to remove paint from the stock valve covers and get out the polishing compound.

Here are my results. Actually I'm far happier with the valve covers than the pictures - tough to capture just how they look in person.

233Polished_-_Black_background_1-med.JPG

http://vca2.viperclub.org/gallery/data/500/233Polished_Valve_Covers-med.JPG

http://vca2.viperclub.org/gallery/data/500/233Polished_-_Red_background_1-med.JPG

These will be going on my Silver/Blue GTS along with a polished Roe S/C. Soon, very soon!

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second what Vip-RT10 mentioned. I know that just polishing the logo on my stock covers lasts only days before they get tarnished.

Joe, Did you have them clearcoated?

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had many sets look like that for the first three weeks. Magnesium being a different metal compound then aluminum, oxidizes within a short period of being exposed to oxygen. The difference in magnesium is that is starts from the bottom of the surface of the metal. Within three weeks your covers will be gray. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but magnesium is a metal that can't even be plated. That's why we designed the mirrored valve cover overlays.

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats exactly what we did but as i said it starts from beneith the surface,we exhausted all efforts and consulted many experts on this subject

OP
OP
J

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go ahead, rain on my parade! Just kidding all, it's been that kind of week for me!

Next step - for me - is, in fact, clearcoating. I'll now wait a bit to see what "tarnished" looks like. I'm not a metalurgist, but it seems like if one could reduce / eliminate the contact with oxygen, the process could be halted - after all, there are only so many molecules to go around to support the tarnishing process.

Thanks for the comments, I'll keep a close eye on them and watch what happens. Since these are spares, I've not really risked much but my time. And I've certainly learned something. Thanks again!

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke with Mr. Warren Lundgren from magnesium coating and inquired about their process, I expect he will post here soon.

Bob D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe

I polished the raised viper lettering and sneaky pete last year. I sprayed WD40 on them and no tarnish yet.
Maybe our lack of humidity helps too.

Bob

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clearcoat is unlikely to work. I had some gorgeous magnesium indy car wheels on my vintage indy car polished, then I made the mistake of clear powder coating them. They tarnished from underneath and the powdercoat was basically impossible to remove.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice. I've owned street rods with polished aluminum parts-- never, and i mean never, will I have anything that's polished.They do look great when new or polished at first, but talk about maintenance time to keep them that good looking. Have you tried clear coating them?? To me, chrome is still the best shiny i can use. Damp cloth, wipe it and you're gone. Maybe I'm lazy? John

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We polish the factory manifold to a mirror finish top to bottom then coat them with clear,no maintenence just wipe off,one manifold we did locally,owner uses to drive everyday and track events.Over a year later it still looks like new,never had to polish once.Talk about an absolutly amazing look.of course now those valve covers are a different animal entirely.If you attempt to plate the magnesium will NOT hold up through the process. But it is great material to adhere to with our mirrored finished overlays :D

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right. If you really want to complete the look, you can either go with the overlays, or go soup-to-nuts and talk to Bill at Apex Motorsports. He's now selling CNC'd aluminum valve covers. You can even get whatever you want milled in the top of them. I've seen them in person, and they are sweeeeeet.

OP
OP
J

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To any interested...

Finally heard back from the magnesium coating folks KenH found...

Possible, but not cheap! Interesting comment about some collaboration on the 03 Vipers...

Hi Joseph
Sorry not to have responded before, our sales@ has been in an unattended
corner for 4 weeks since we made some network changes.
We provide coatings for manufactures and infact are working with Daimler
Chrysler on one or two Viper '03 projects.

To do anything to your 2 covers would be mighty expensive ($1000). I am
confident Apticote 250 or a derivative could do what you require and I
am sorry its so expensive.

Thanks for your interest
Regards
Anthony

Finally, almost three weeks later and still as shiny as the photos...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte