polishing your rims

SEEEEYA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
who knows the best way to polish your rims, wiping them down alot to get brake dust off but would like to polish them up, has any one used that polishing ball that goes on your drill??seems like just rubbing them makes them look "cloudy" or else my else are going bad:cool:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Are they stock? If so, they are clear-coated, so a "wipe-down" (without thoroughly and carefully washing first) will micro-scratch them with the brake dust, dulling the finish. You might try the same swirl remover (masker) products that you use on the rest of the vehicle.

OP
OP
S

SEEEEYA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yes stock tires, I use that california "rim" duster alot since it gets in all the nooks and cranies real nice, so no "polish ball"?

Kraaken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you put polishing compound on there and rub it in with a cloth Nd it turns black like the polish is supposed to then they are not clear coated and I would suggest some thing I explained in the detail forum. If they are clear coated you can basically polish them like you would polish your car.

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Adams fine machine polish with a 4" white focus pad and a drill do wonders. You have to watch you speed with the drill.
It will remove the scratches and haze.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are they stock? If so, they are clear-coated, so a "wipe-down" (without thoroughly and carefully washing first) will micro-scratch them with the brake dust, dulling the finish. You might try the same swirl remover (masker) products that you use on the rest of the vehicle.
I do not think they are clear coated at all, to my knowledge, the six spoke and five spoke use a proprietary Alcoa finish called durabrite that cannot be refinished using conventional methods such as polishing and clearcoating. The only way you can do this and have the finish match is to strip all four wheels and then polish and clear coat them (or powder coat them).

You can go to Alcoa website and read their guidelines regarding care of durabrite finish, you will see that outside of rinsing them off and wiping clean, you are not supposed to do anything else.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960