Popping out of first gear

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Today is the first day I got on my SRT after having driven it for 15 days to get comfortable with the torque. On two occasions it popped out of first gear and I likely held it too long. Is this normal I suspect I had it around 5 to 6 rpm??

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suspect you have not received replies as it is somewhat unusual. I have never had the car pop out of any gear on any SRT I have driven. Are you sure you might not be resting your foot a bit on the clutch? I can see where some folks might not fully disengage from the pedal and thus it may be more prone to pop out of gear. Just a thought, but I am afraid it is not normal...

OP
OP
T

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much can you wind out in first gear or better stated at what speed would you shift to second for optimal performance? THX

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never had it happen on my SRT but it happened a lot in 3rd gear on my RT/10. From what I recall several other RT owners also had the same problem.
I would definitely have it looked at.

kmg99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is not correct. Riding the clutch cannot result in the transmission popping out of gear or "winding it out" either.

Try driving with your hand completely off the lever. If the vehicle still pops out of gear there is definitely something wrong with the transmission or a broken motor mount or transmission mount allowing the powertrain to roll out of position knocking the transmission out of gear.

If it doesn't pop out of gear with your hand off the lever it is definitely operator error.

OP
OP
T

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris great catch!!! I just went out and purposely put my left foot on the floor and tried it a few more times and you guessed it no popping out. It was my other lead foot. For the record I drive more like a gradma than most just wanted to see what it could do and I'm impressed! THX again
Bill

OP
OP
T

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No matter what I was doing wrong it was pilot error now I can sleep tonight. Ill be mindful from now on THX