por15 heat resistant application info?

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just read a post about using por15 on side sills to reduce temps. Who makes this? How much does it cost? How is it applied? What test data is available on it?

Mt Viper is HOT HOT HOT after 2 laps on any course. The tunnel and floor pans are so hot I lift my feet on the straights.

Any other heat management experiences? Whatever I do must be SCCA T1 legal.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

OP
OP
N

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay here's a little cheat sheet on POR-15

http://www.por15.com/faqs/faqhtpc.html

High Temperature Paints and Coating
BLACK VELVET, FACTORY MANIFOLD GRAY, and POR-20 BRILLIANT ALUMINUM are Very High Heat-Resistant Coatings designed for use on steel subject to elevated temperatures. FACTORY MANIFOLD GRAY and POR-20 will withstand temperatures on a continuing basis up to 1400°F, while BLACK VELVET will will withstand temperatures on a continuing basis up to 1200°F. When subjected to high heat concentrations, FACTORY MANIFOLD GRAY will darken in color (as will cast-iron). Though they will dry to the touch in about four(4) hours and may be handled, these coatings will not arrive at full cure until they have been exposed to heat concentrations of at least 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

Metal Preparation: Surfaces to be coated must be clean, dry, and free from oil, grease, and any other coating which cannot resist high temperatures (paints, varnishes, lacquers, metal prep coatings, etc). Sandblasted surfaces are ideal, as are wire-brushed or sanded or filed surfaces. Surgical-type gloves should be worn for handling to keep natural body oils off the prepared surface.

Uses: Manifolds, Exhaust Systems, Ovens, Stacks, Stoves, Headers, Boilers.

Product Characteristics
Boiling Point: 312 - 385
Vapor Pressure (mm Hg): 3.9 PSIA @ 163*
Vapor Density: 5.00
Reactivity in Water: None
Solubility in Water: Negligible
Appearance & Odor: Clear & Characteristic
Specific Gravity (H2O=1): 0.9076
Melting Point: N/A
Flash Point: 108°F
Method Used: TCC
Auto Ignition Temp: 475
Extinguishing Media: Foam, CO2, Chemical, Sand
Flammable limits in Air % by Volume: LEL Lower: 0.77
UEL Upper: 6

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Thinner: For brush or spray, use only POR-15 Solvent. Lacquer thinner may be used for cleanup as may other aromatic solvents.

Dry Time: At 75 degrees Fahrenheit (24 degrees C), dry time is about four (4) hours to touch. Recoating may be done after a minimum of 24 hours. Attains full cure only after heat exposure of at least 300° Fahrenheit.

Special Application Technique:

Stir Factory Manifold Gray thoroughly before applying.
DO NOT SHAKE.
Apply in FULL coats rather than THIN coats, but not so full that it runs.
Avoid going over the same area again after it has been coated.
Keep away from heat, sparks, flame.
Use only in well-ventilated areas.
Avoid breathing vapors or spray mist, contact with eyes and skin.

Anyone used this or other like coatings?

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read a bit more about por15. Sounds like great stuff. Very durable, highly scratch resistant, yet flexible, expanding and contracting with metal. Oh, and one of the main things it's known for is being a dandy rust preventative.

You must be registered for see images

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my sidesills went from hot to just luke warm
with the addition of randomtech substrate cats and
B&B catback.
not sure if they meet the rules.
but my sidesills are now very happy :laugh:

OP
OP
N

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting Random Tech hi flow metallics and 3" SS cat back this week. My sills get hot but thats okay.

I'm really interested in reducing heat in the tunnel and floor pans.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hit them with POR15, the prep is much easier than the 20, a solid wiping with marine clean and metal prep (2 different fluids) and your good to go.

Massive improvement in my sills and I did get carried away and started to hit the frame and rails. A future winter project to put it in the air and go nuts, the stuff works bottom line!

OP
OP
N

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems it would work but this is what the mfg sent me via email replying to my inquiry...

"Jeff, Our products do not offer much in the way of insulating properties. Our rust preventive paint is good up to 600 degrees. Check with Summit Racing I believe they offer a material that may work for your application. POR-15 can be brushed on without leaving any brush marks. Any further questions call 1-800-457-6715 or email www.por15.com "

I'm impressed that they would refer a competitor. Maybe I got a reply from a newbie there that doesn't know the thermal benefits?

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Between what the website says and what you were emailed, somebody doesn't have their facts straight. What's gives? What's the truth?

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting Random Tech hi flow metallics and 3" SS cat back this week. My sills get hot but thats okay.
I'm really interested in reducing heat in the tunnel and floor pans.

are those the $500+- cats?
if not get the best!
the Random tech 3 inch in/out Metal Honeycomb Substrate Cats!

you wont be disappointed.. i tell you i can place my hand on the sill right near the hood and with no problem

It is warm but not hot after a very long, spirited drive.
If you have the best Random techs you will need nothing else for the heat.. IMHO... of course ;)
good luck
Jim

OP
OP
N

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

They are indeed the metallic CATS. Bought from the ONLY place a Viper addict needs to go JonB at Partsrack.

They were just over $500 a pair and I will see and hear them on Wednesday...

Can't wait.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery