Ported heads on my 08

Reaction score
No known tuners available for the 08's but they Diablo tuner will take care of these things on the Challengers.

GM cars have TM (torque management) that can be tuned out. Unfortunately, HP Tuners hasn't brought (or was unable to bring) out an excellent tuning software package for Mopar, at least last I heard.

Does anyone know if the SCT software can get rid of TM?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That really *****. Kinda like Big Brother is watching. I like the cable to the throttle butterflies... Why throttle by wire anyway? So the computer can drive the car? For god sakes - its a viper.

Honestly, its not throwing a code. We aren't even getting a check engine light. Its driving us crazy.

The nitrous comes in full blown in 1st gear then as soon as you change gears you can feel the car slowing down or holding back. Track times actually slow down when trying to run nitrous. Just shoot us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad:

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reworked computer may have something to do with the Vipers emission mandate.By 2012 iam told ALL cars sold in this country must have some sort of stability control.( i hope i did not get any one in trouble )Things are a changen

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess I was under the assumption that they SRT Engineers would have put as much upward potential or CYA grace into the engine that they did with the GEN3? In other words a gen3 that can be taken from 510 - 700hp and still be reliable if the same was true of the 08 it should be able to be taken to 800hp+/- had the engine been given the same upward potential. I cann't imagine the lawyers and bean counters not twisting the engine designers into giving as much strength if for nothing more than reliability and not having to replace pistons? I am probably wrong but thats my .02 on it
For the most part, detonation breaks pistons. The '08 has a higher compression ratio than past Vipers, so it may be more likely to detonate at the same boost levels. The more torque a motor makes, the more likely it is to detonate. 400whp with a poor tune and bad gas can easily blow up a motor faster than a well-running 800whp.

The '08 piston is used in other cars, so their success with it should be a good indication of its strength. The Viper's longer stroke is going to mean that its pistons can make more torque at the same cylinder pressure (i.e., stress level) though.

Reaction score
The main issue seen is the factory pistons all have a very thin top ringland and it is prone to breaking off even with light detonation. This is used to keep startup emissions in check where aftermarket pistons can get away with a much thicker land.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The main issue seen is the factory pistons all have a very thin top ringland and it is prone to breaking off even with light detonation. This is used to keep startup emissions in check where aftermarket pistons can get away with a much thicker land.

Mark, have you seen this on a 08?

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But will porting ,polishing ect the heads on my 08 cause a CHE light?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't porting the heads on an '08 be a waste since an SCT, Vec or performance PCM is not available for the GenIV to take advantage of that extra flow? Isn't Henessey offering ported heads and intake as part of their 700R package? You may want to call them ask them about the CEL.

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't porting the heads on an '08 be a waste since an SCT, Vec or performance PCM is not available for the GenIV to take advantage of that extra flow? Isn't Henessey offering ported heads and intake as part of their 700R package? You may want to call them ask them about the CEL.
He is Tony

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have not first hand proof but I would be willing to bet the extra air flow would trigger a check engine light. If it did not then I would guess the work was not worth doing.
Exactly what iam thinking and afraid off .Say goobye to my warranty ,resale value (nobody will ever buy a 80 grand car with a flagged warranty with the check engine light on ect )

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony to be honest it is highly questionable whether i believe anything the fore mentioned tuner says.My only dealings with him were in 1994 when i bought a small induction piece (Nick at Modern always great to me and half everyone elses price.)That being said i have owned all 4 Gens of our cars and have been a NJ VCA member off and on since the clubs inception approx 1995.A typical NJ Vca club event in the late 90s often turned into a who can top who ***** session of who was screwed worse by the forementioned tuner.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony to be honest it is highly questionable whether i believe anything the fore mentioned tuner says.My only dealings with him were in 1994 when i bought a small induction piece (Nick at Modern always great to me and half everyone elses price.)That being said i have owned all 4 Gens of our cars and have been a NJ VCA member off and on since the clubs inception approx 1995.A typical NJ Vca club event in the late 90s often turned into a who can top who ***** session of who was screwed worse by the forementioned tuner.

I hear ya...I see and hear about those stories too many times. I'm not pushing the tuner but he's the only one (supposedly) that's doing this type of modification to the '08. If you have money to burn (give it to me), seriously, you should be the pioneer on this and try the ported heads, report back what you find. :D

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony i wish i had the money.Its funny i had a really nice 06 Coupe like new 4000 miles bought it for 58000.00.The car had gears and Corsa-really nice car but i had to have 600hp.The problem is (as my girlfriend reminds me daily )i really am in no financial position to own my 08.What the hell iam in this far whats a little more.How muck are those Ballangers again?I can hear her"" -YOU paid 3800 dollars for those tube things to make it go faster-"

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony i wish i had the money.Its funny i had a really nice 06 Coupe like new 4000 miles bought it for 58000.00.The car had gears and Corsa-really nice car but i had to have 600hp.The problem is (as my girlfriend reminds me daily )i really am in no financial position to own my 08.What the hell iam in this far whats a little more.How muck are those Ballangers again?I can hear her"" -YOU paid 3800 dollars for those tube things to make it go faster-"

Well, what she doesn't know won't hurt her. ;) I've been eyeing another Viper, which like yourself, I'm in no position to purchase but I will find a way if I can sneak it by central planning. :)

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony if you need anything i have a great rapor with the guys at Buhler in NJ .

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have not first hand proof but I would be willing to bet the extra air flow would trigger a check engine light. If it did not then I would guess the work was not worth doing.
Mark as usual your right on target .Today i had some of my mag buddys call around.Depending of coarse on what is done air flow wise to the head(how much more cfm the head porter extracts ) there is an excellent chance (with the 08 computer being as advanced as it is)that a check engine light will occur.Also was told that if this happens(a check engine light brought about from an owner doing hi-performance work ) definately say goodbye to the factory warranty.

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Someone should be compiling a list of the modifications attempted and failed or attempted and successful. Especially if any particular codes are being thrown... the codes will help the engineers figure out what needs to be amended or disabled to allow (insert nitrous / heads / headers / intake) bits for more go. Just ******** that a "code" has popped doesn't tell much... there are nearly 1,000 codes in the 08 PCM. Many will cause decreased drivability.

That list should be dragged to VOI X and brought to the attention of anyone that will listen... especially anyone with "Mopar" on their shirts. Mopar has the power to sell "race-only" bits that will allow the mods everyone is discussing... the base engineering team can't consider it as their job is to meet the regulations. But if a clear TEAM message can be sent perhaps say on a few different mods progress could be made. If each individual asks for a thousand variations, nothing will come of it.

Several "tuner" shops (won't name names) are now getting in trouble with the feds as their business has been removing and altering emissions systems... which is illegal in all 50 states. "Race Only" is supposed to be just that... at the track. If it doesn't have a CARB EO number on it, you potentially can be hit with $5,000+ fines if you have the wrong fed drop into your local tuner while your street plated car is present. These guys (feds) are getting wise to the game...

And yes, traction / stability is mandatory in 2012 on ALL cars
Permanent P-code storage is mandatory in 2011 on ALL cars (no more clearing before going to dealers if youv've had the cats off)

Both mandates are from Federal Motor Vehicle Standards... thank your congressmen.

Reaction score
It never hurts to ask about these things but I have said it before that Chrysler/Dodge is completely separate from Mopar Performance Parts. They do not "collaborate" on mods or compatibility as far as I'm told anyway. And they are not really "endorsed" by them either.

Someone should be compiling a list of the modifications attempted and failed or attempted and successful. Especially if any particular codes are being thrown... the codes will help the engineers figure out what needs to be amended or disabled to allow (insert nitrous / heads / headers / intake) bits for more go. Just ******** that a "code" has popped doesn't tell much... there are nearly 1,000 codes in the 08 PCM. Many will cause decreased provability.

That list should be dragged to VOI X and brought to the attention of anyone that will listen... especially anyone with "Mopar" on their shirts. Mopar has the power to sell "race-only" bits that will allow the mods everyone is discussing... the base engineering team can't consider it as their job is to meet the regulations. But if a clear TEAM message can be sent perhaps say on a few different mods progress could be made. If each individual asks for a thousand variations, nothing will come of it.

Several "tuner" shops (won't name names) are now getting in trouble with the feds as their business has been removing and altering emissions systems... which is illegal in all 50 states. "Race Only" is supposed to be just that... at the track. If it doesn't have a CARB EO number on it, you potentially can be hit with $5,000+ fines if you have the wrong fed drop into your local tuner while your street plated car is present. These guys (feds) are getting wise to the game...

Permanent P-code storage is mandatory in 2011 on ALL cars (no more clearing before going to dealers if youv've had the cats off)

Both mandates are from Federal Motor Vehicle Standards... thank your congressmen.

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone should be compiling a list of the modifications attempted and failed or attempted and successful. Especially if any particular codes are being thrown... the codes will help the engineers figure out what needs to be amended or disabled to allow (insert nitrous / heads / headers / intake) bits for more go. Just ******** that a "code" has popped doesn't tell much... there are nearly 1,000 codes in the 08 PCM. Many will cause decreased drivability.

From what i understand Dodge and its engineers dont want anybody into their computer(they went out of their way to insure this in its design.)Many issues here -esp warranty work ect.I truely doubt they for example will help a tuner crack the computer who will turn around and market a Nitrous kit to a customer (nitrous voids warrantys )The customer then blows the car up ,removes the kit and trys to get iy=t tru warranty.

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If Venom proves to be a PITA to crack, then the tuners have the option of working around Venom as they have for other cars in the past. A piggyback controller (i.e., EPROM chip) could be used to modify signals to/from Venom. In 2-3 years, I'm sure we will have either solution to support future mods.

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also don't believe that porting the intake/heads is going to fly without throwing codes, although such a package is currently being marketed. I'll be the first in line for Gen-IV NA engine mods as soon as someone can program a tune.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Even with a piggyback controller scenario the main PCM's sensors will notice airflow changes etc... and throw codes for those reasons only. I really believe the only solution may be the elimination of the cam in cam and go to a stand alone. Although this would mess with the integration of the rest of the computer controlled accessories in the car.

Bottom line is there are MANY hurdles to over come to get there. :(

If Venom proves to be a PITA to crack, then the tuners have the option of working around Venom as they have for other cars in the past. A piggyback controller (i.e., EPROM chip) could be used to modify signals to/from Venom. In 2-3 years, I'm sure we will have either solution to support future mods.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper