porter-cable polisher/buffers which to buy?

Blade Runner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen reference to using porter-cable polishers model 7424
and model 7336SP. What is the differenc between these models. They look much the same in size and speed. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each. I know some of the experts have a preference, which is best.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 7424 and use it very often on all of my cars. It is very user friendly, and doesn't turn fast enough to be overly concerned about burning paint like other buffers.

I checked with Porter-Cable and the difference between the two models you wrote about is the gearing. The 7336 spins about 3 times as fast as the 7424 and was developed to be a sander not a buffer. In this case Speed is bad, not good as in driving our cars.

Meguiers sells the Porter Cable Buffer under their name too. I add this only as adding to potential sources for purchase. I peeled off the Meguiers label off and exposed the porter cable sticker underneath. I bought mine new on EBAY and saved alot of money over going through a dealer, but when I bought mine they were not out long and commanded a premium by everyone who was selling them. The meguiers one came a kit that even included a video on how to use it and a couple of pads. Prices have since come down some, and there are even factory reman ones available.

Speaking of pads, I do not like the "stock" Porter Cable pads. I got Meguiers pads and haven't had a bit of problem. Buy several and do not mix different products on the same pad.

I am not a professional detailer but simply an aircraft engineer that after lots experimentation, settled on Meguirs products and am pretty happy. I do use a couple of brands of waxes and polishes but am really happy with the Meguiers pads.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blade,

I was asking the same thing when I was shopping for one. The unit itself is identical whether you go with the 7224 or 7336. With either unit, you have a 3.7 amp motor. The RPM's are variable between 2500 and 6000 RPM. I usually have the speed dial set at #4. The difference in the two is the 7224 comes with a polishing pad that's mounted onto the polisher with the chuck wrench.

You must be registered for see images attach

The 7336 comes with a 6-hole hook and loop pad which is also mounted to the polisher with the wrench. The advantage with the hook and loop (velcro) pad is that you can also get polishing pads with velcro backing for quick change without busting out the wrench everytime.

You must be registered for see images attach

My suggestion is to go with the 7336 and buy the velcro backed polishing pads. Amazon sells the 7336 for $125 (free shipping). Griotsgarage.com sells excellent polishing pads(red)for wax application and micro fiber pads for wax removal.

Polishing pad
You must be registered for see images

Microfiber bonnet
You must be registered for see images

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, one more thing. Been using Zaino for years. When Meguiars came out with NXT I tried it and been using it since. Still use other Zaino products but NXT is my wax of choice now. Don't forget to clay bar before waxing. :cool:

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a difference in the counterweight size between these models. The 7424 has a 5 inch counterweight and the 7336 has a six inch counterweight. Supposedly the larger counterweight will make for less vibration in your hands. I have never done a side-by-side comparison, but I have the 7336 and it does not vibrate while I use it. Not sure about the speed differences between the models, but the 7336 is a variable speed model, so you can select the appropriate speed for the pad and polisher you are using.

Check out autopia for more detailing info than you could ever need.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for the advice. I plan of practicing on my daily drivers before I move to the vipers.

YOU CANNOT HURT YOUR FINISH WITH AN ORBITAL!!! Unless you leave the damned thing running on you car all night while you catch up on sleep, it's pretty much fool proof. I think I'm going to have a stroke if I see another person that thinks he's going to burn his paint with an orbital! No need to practice on your other cars. Just squirt some [******] on the pad and go to town! :2tu:

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
carrot is absolutly right. you have being using lava soap or something equally harse to swirl or burn paint with an orbital. orbitals work great if you garage your car and wash them properly using the correct chemicals and cleaners. i have owned my car 4 years now and never had to get it buffed. only orbital once a year or 2 times tops. i parked next to a 2002 final edition and my 97 paint was as bright and vibrant as his. no repaint here either. make sure the car is very clean before you use the orbital. if a piece of sand is on the paint and you go over it wit the orbital. the pad drags that sand all ovvvvvvvvvvvvvvver the paint creating a lovely custom scratch. i ave seen it a million times. other than that fool proof.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang