Possible rear end issue?

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2006 with paxton. Was driving back from a long road trip and just seem to notice a clinking noise when pressing the gas then letting off (not the typical viper clinking noise). Car shifts fine and no shifter movement. I put the car on the lift and motor mounts appeared fine. Havent taken the cover off yet to check the transmissions mounts yet but since it shifts fine, don't think that is the problem. Ujoint is fine at the rearend. There is slight movement in the driveshaft going into the rearend with the wheels not moving. I have replaced the rearend fluid 5000 miles ago with OEM fluids. Does it sound like the rearend is going out? Is there anything else I need to look at?

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your probably on the right track the rear end is goin out, if you find out it is give me shout I have an extra one.

Dave1968

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lack of Trac Lock additive in the diff oil possibly? A little movement in the drivesheft in relation to the gears isn't a big deal - You'll hear a howel or whine if it's an issue.

OP
OP
N

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the oem fluids which included the additive. Have not heard any type of whines. I will drain the fluid this weekend and see what it looks like.

cdover73

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was getting something similar and had the dealer tech look at it. He mentioned something about a snubber bolt being loose from the rear diff to the frame behind the passenger seat area. Said he torqued it and it went away. Maybe worth looking at...

I still get the clunk when driving through town in 2-3 gears. Depending on the speed (25-35 mph) I find I have to up/down shift more often, or even back pedal the clutch a little sometimes to keep it from hopping and causing the clunk. But I think this is the normal clunk you were referring to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21