post- Corsa cat back

Bhuns16

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had my Random Tech HF cats and Corsa cat-back system installed about two months ago. The "Check engine" light has been on ever since. My installer says it's associated with the O2 sensors. He says the car flows too freely now. It has no restrictions. I guess that's not a good thing. He says I need to buy a chip so we can recalibrate the fuel/air mixture. He says it's running too rich. Anybody have any similar situations? I totally trust this guy. He knows his way around a car. Works on my dads Lambo, Ferrari, Corvettes, even our Ford trucks. The car does have a little trouble getting gas when starting. Can anybody help me out here with some info?

Thanks,
Brandon

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 01.Corsa catback caused absolutely no problems.Do you have a rear O2 sensor?The cats could be a problem not doing a good enough job.Later I went with a straight pipe and no cats and have had no check engine lights.At the time of header and straight pipe install I installed apex syms that tell the computer the cats are working all right.Could be your problem. Bruce

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gut feeling is based on what your "mechanic that you totally trust" said, and also what you said about the gas upon starting. Also, as was stated, there IS no "chip" to install in a Viper.
And, no, your car isn't flowing too much now, and that isn't a bad thing. On a 96, this shouldn't be a problem. If it were my car, I would take it to a club member-recommended Viper tech near you and have him find what's REALLY going on with it. Might save you a lot of time and money that way. pete the XGG

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with red98GTS, find someone that KNOWS VIPERS;
NOT one who knows "........ Lambo, Ferrari, Corvettes, even our Ford trucks."
On a 96, the rear O2 sensors do not figure into the fuel mix, and maybe even the front O2 sensors - someone help me here.
NO Chips please !!
Later,

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Brandon, you need a new mechanic.

There is no flippin' way, short of operator install error, that a Corsa and HF cats should throw a check lite, especially on a 1996! Your situation is 1-of-1, and needs a looksee from a competant Viper Tech.

Please call me to troubleshoot.....

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe the installer twisted the o2 soensor wires maybe you need a new set. or you can get a pair of sims from sean roe( that fixed my 02 check engine light problem).