Powdercoat or Paint?

jojogts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys just wondering which would be a better choice. Powdercoat or paint, Ive been running the same wheel for 3 years now and I think its time for a new look. Wheels now are a gloss black center with a fully polished lip, I would like to go all black but Im not sure if I want to have them painted or powdercoated. Im thinking powdercoating would be hard to change if I didnt like it...

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had both and believe powdercoating is much more durable than paint...not as easy to scratch and you'll get less road/chip damage.

OP
OP
J

jojogts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But how hard is it to get off if I want to change again in the future...

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you remove it you can always powdercoat another color. It will have to be blasted off to remove. Powder coat is extremely durable.

Bruce

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am on the same path, But I have seen pictures of chrome powder coat and black chrome powder coat. Anyone seen either one of these in person? If so what did you think?

F

FrgMstr

Getting my first set of Viper wheels powder coated this coming week. It will be the third set I have done black. First two were on off road trucks. PC is the way to go for SURE with wheels. Much more durable. Possible to blast it off, but usually somewhat expensive to do so. As for going back to chrome or polished after PC, well, that is possible, but it would be possible to have the wheels re-chromed after blasting the PC off, but I don't think you would ever get those polished again for any reasonable price.

F

FrgMstr

I am on the same path, But I have seen pictures of chrome powder coat and black chrome powder coat. Anyone seen either one of these in person? If so what did you think?

I have seen some pearl-esque PC finishes, but if you want chrome or black chrome, then you want to go with the real deal.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen the black chrome "powder coat" process and have some pictures of it on my cell phone.

Very cool look; sorta subtle.

Expensive and it apparently is not really a powder coat but an epoxy process. So I have been told.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if the coater knows what he is doing it can come off with no problems.

paint chips very easy, wheels are subject to chipping..... powdercoat them !

OP
OP
J

jojogts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Plum, I just hope Im not making a mistake on going all black! Hate to f-up a 7k tire and wheel package...

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been told by John at CCW that some powder coaters will burn previous powder coat finishes off. Depending on the type of aluminum alloy, that extreme heat can destroy the wheel strength; so, make sure that anyone that is refinishing a powder coated wheel knows what they are doing !

WAM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I bought a set of powder coated chrome stock wheels for my CTS. I could not tell they were not chrome. They look great. Cost me $800 exchange for the set. If I ever put a set of polished wheels on my Viper, they will get this paint process first. I am very hard to please and I was very happy with the wheels. It is easier to take care of paint than chrome.

If your interested, contact me and I will dig up a company name and phone number.

OP
OP
J

jojogts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No bling for me right now, Im kind of in the "Im a badass mode" right now so Im going all black baby...

F

FrgMstr

These are the guys I used here in Dallas.

Welcome to Custom Powder Coating - We Have the Colors to Fit Your Imagination

There are several levels of black most will do with many different texture finishes. FWIW, and trust me on this, you don't want to go with a textured or satin finish on a car you like to have clean and shiny. The surface of the wheel when black and textured will hold all kinds of crud that gets oxidized and turns white in the texture unless you are prepared to clean the hell out of those all the time. The very glossy black always lends itself to a coating that makes for a "plastic" look. PCers can put finishes on that are less than 100% gloss, but not satin/textured, and this is likely your best best. Anyway, my 2 cents.....

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Powdercoat is definitely more durable. The only issue is IF it chips or gets scratched, you have to have them re-done. If you paint them yourself, they will eventually get some issues on them, but you can scuff them and re-paint them.
These are just the two sides I've heard. I've never had painted or powdercoated wheels, so take this with a grain a salt.

Urhuckleberry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys just wondering which would be a better choice. Powdercoat or paint, Ive been running the same wheel for 3 years now and I think its time for a new look. Wheels now are a gloss black center with a fully polished lip, I would like to go all black but Im not sure if I want to have them painted or powdercoated. Im thinking powdercoating would be hard to change if I didnt like it...

I went with a powdercoat on my stock RT/10 wheels. Wanted black wheels, couldn't afford the set I wanted, (Someday;)) but I have a friend that has a custom shop and he recommended powdercoating...I knew nothing about the process, but was very pleased with the outcome and for the price I paid, if they do get a ding, inexpensive to have it redone. I paid mmy buddy $200 for the set to be done in gloss black...there are different levels of black as some have mentioned, but I wanted to be able to polish them up and have a shine to them like the rest of the car. After a day of driving, they get a nice coating of brake dust on them and they look really cool...turn a flat black :D I simply spray them with a little simple green and hose them off, dry them and they are good to go:2tu: I am fortunate to know my buddy, but a friend of mine went somewhere else and paid about the same for his to be done. I really like the way they turned out. I think painted would look nice too, but the powdercoat is certainly more durable. Added the black lug nuts also and I think they turned out good.

Here are a few pics...they look better during the day in natural light and no flash from the camera.

You must be registered for see images attach

F

FrgMstr

Matte Black, Smooth Finish. :)

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member