Power Problems on my RT/10-94

Swedish Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I have a elctrical power problem on my car and before I start to tear things down I would like your opinion on the mater:

When I drive my car the volt-gauge goes from 12 volts up to 16 volts depending on the engine revs. As soon as the car is idle, it drops to 12 or even belov 12 depending on how much electricity I´m using (lights, stereo A/C).

I replaced the battery in april, so it´s almost new. I checked if the generator (alternator?) is loading the battery and got 12-14 volts on the cable in the box marked "BATTERY".

If I load the battery between driving/starting with a external powersource, I have no problems starting the engine, but if I drive with low revs for a longer time, the car will not start if I stop for say gas. :confused:

So, is it the battery that´s bad or is it my generator (alternator?) that is broken??

GTSJERRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like an alt. to me. Make sure that your battery cables are tight at the battery, a loose connection there could cause this problem.

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen this happen with dirty connections at the battery too. If the battery terminals are dull and gray, they're covered in oxide. They have special cleaning tools that you just twist around the battery terminal to clean it. You then use the other part of the tool to clean the inside of the battery cable connectors. You can also use a wire brush but the tool is worth the $9.

--Rob