Power Shift and Bang!

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In our 2006 SRT 10, a full throttle power shift from first to second gear results in a hugh BANG noise from the rear differential. Anyone else experience the same?

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've killed the transmission twice power shifting form 2nd to 3rd.

05 and newer have stronger internals than the older cars.

do you get wheel hop?

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, and it was so loud that I thought something exploded. I'm not sure what you mean by "power shift," though. My incident happened when, under maximum acceleration, I did a normal 2 - 3 shift (full throttle, lift/clutch in, change gears, let clutch out/full throttle). When I let the clutch out and simultaneously went back to WOT there was a huge BANG!

I looked in my mirror expecting to see a trail of parts and smoke behind the car and wondering why what ever blew up didn't cause the car to spin. Fortunately, there was none of that and the car was fine. It was so bad that I took the car to a Viper tech to check it out. The tech found nothing amiss and it hasn't happened since.

BTW, my car is a 2003.

OP
OP
V

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wheel hop more so when tires are cold. So that large carzy bang is normal? What's happening with that banging and will it damage the car? Is it the trans?

OP
OP
V

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phoenix SRT,
Bingo, that's exactly what I am talikng about. It's reassuring that others have the same situation. We need to know what that is and is it normal or should we be concerned.

2006 First Edition

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
don't know about a large crazy bang being normal. With violent wheel hop you may get some kind of banging noises...don't ride it out.:nono:

OP
OP
V

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ILLSMOQ,

Once the tires have been warmed up, no hopping. Looks like "Phoenix SRT" has the same experience.

2006 First Edition

OP
OP
V

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been reading other postings. Sounds like many have had this same "bang" noise, from 99 to 06 models. A couple of posting suggested that we check the 4 bolts connecting the differential to the body. May be loose. Something to keep in mind.

2006 First Edition

Last edited:

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had bad wheel hop problem with my 2006 and run flats. Got Pirelle tires and had less wheel hop but still a lot of spinning. Got the 19" Hoosier R6 for the rear and now no wheel hop and only slight amount of spinning in first gear under wot.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my GTS I've got some wheel hop with Pilot Sports. Checked all the diff and rear suspension mounts and everything good. Put in Dave's solid tranny mount. Plan on doing engine mounts sometime.

But never a big bang. That sounds like a problem.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this happen on my 97 GTS while I was moving from a stop. And I wasn't even stepping on it hard. It only happened a couple of times in my first 2 years or so of ownership. Never since, maybe I mellowed down.

The consensus at that time was differential mounts but nothing was proved.

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i just experienced wheel hop for the first time now that its getting colder. scared me at first. as it hopped it was multiple bangs. did you have one bang or several till you got off the gas? its scary as 2 or 3 guys in this club have totaled their vipers over the last 3 weeks due to losing control while wheel hopping....

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. Banging would seem like it would have to be from a Part A hitting a Part B. I get chirping but that is it.

Paging the Wizard... Surely he's replaced some Part A or B's before. That is usually a pretty good indicator of what is being pounded; the part you are replacing.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are you sure you didnt hit the rev limiter, that makes some God awful noises when you do

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just experienced wheel hop for the first time now that its getting colder. scared me at first. as it hopped it was multiple bangs. did you have one bang or several till you got off the gas? its scary as 2 or 3 guys in this club have totaled their vipers over the last 3 weeks due to losing control while wheel hopping....
The wheel hop banging is different from the differential mount banging (or whatever it is?). The wheel hop banging is a series of thuds as the suspension tries to keep the tires to the ground. The differential banging is a single loud clang.

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DO you have an upgraded clutch? If you have a clutch the grips hard and the tires are warm you will get the bang noise. My friends Vette would do it all the time when I would full throttle power shift. If you hear any in car videos of power shifting you normally here this noise, it's just part of the fun.:D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DO you have an upgraded clutch? If you have a clutch the grips hard and the tires are warm you will get the bang noise. My friends Vette would do it all the time when I would full throttle power shift. If you hear any in car videos of power shifting you normally here this noise, it's just part of the fun.:D

I'd like an experienced Viper mechanic to say that's acceptable - the bang - before I find wheel hopping to be "part of the fun."

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure how all the talk about wheel hop got in here. It's not wheel hop, at least in my case.

And it apparently has nothing to do with power shifting. While I was accelerating hard, I used the clutch, lifted between gears, etc.

As for loose bolts, that's probably not it. A pretty well known Viper tech checked the car out after the incident and found nothing. Also, I put several thousand miles on the car since the big bang and it never happened again...loose stuff would do nothing but get more loose and the problem should have become worse if it was caused by something loose.

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've expereinced the same problem. The first time I heard that loud bang was on a back country road when I accidentally got slightly airborne. I was on my way to the track and thought that my day was over. Like you, I expected to see car parts littering the road. But I couldn't tell anything was wrong other than the memory of that bang, and my hard drivving day at the track went just fine.

The second time it happened was under hard excelleration from a light. I've driven it a couple of hundred miles since then without incident.

Badazzv8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, and it was so loud that I thought something exploded. I'm not sure what you mean by "power shift," though. My incident happened when, under maximum acceleration, I did a normal 2 - 3 shift (full throttle, lift/clutch in, change gears, let clutch out/full throttle). When I let the clutch out and simultaneously went back to WOT there was a huge BANG!

I looked in my mirror expecting to see a trail of parts and smoke behind the car and wondering why what ever blew up didn't cause the car to spin. Fortunately, there was none of that and the car was fine. It was so bad that I took the car to a Viper tech to check it out. The tech found nothing amiss and it hasn't happened since.

BTW, my car is a 2003.

I had the bang sound too, and took it to Woodhouse, and they couldn't duplicate it either. I haven't heard it since then either. When I heard it, I was like OFMG, what just happened.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang