Power Steering Cap Gasket?

maverickagm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the gen 1 and 2 power steering caps are supposed to have a gasket or o-ring? If so, does anyone know a part number or correct o-ring size? I've been finding conflicting information....

Ron Jones

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There's a rubber ring inside the cap in addition to a rubber flap on the inside stem that fits inside the reservoir. If it seems like you're leaking fluid could be because you're boiling the fluid out. Those caps have a breather that runs through the center of the stem of the cap. If your fluid gets hot enough it'll blow out that stem. If the stem is clogged, it'll blow the cap off. I've had both scenario's happen with different years of Gen I & II cars.

OP
OP
M

maverickagm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I previously checked my cap. It had the rubber flap, but no rubber ring. I ordered a Dorman 82585 cap. Hopefully it has a rubber ring. I will find out thursday.

I routed a 3/8 fuel line from the breather on my cap to under the brake booster. My understanding is that with the hose fixed in place, it will stop the cap from completely coming off, in addition to dumping the oil on the ground instead of the exhaust manifold.

I have an oil catch can with a dipstick that I'm going to eventually connect. I'm curious if basic driving will cause it to catch anything. I just have to weld a bracket to mount it.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This a replacement. I can't remember if it is OEM I got. I will try to find the redneck OEM one.

Not a o-ring but a flat gasket.

Attachments

• IMG_20240123_195837.jpg
    IMG_20240123_195837.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240123_195816.jpg
    IMG_20240123_195816.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
M

maverickagm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Dorman 82585 came with a flat neoprene gasket as pictured
You must be registered for see images attach

... and upon reinspecting my original cap, it has a flat ring gasket as well. It just really looks and feels like plastic until I probe the edge with a toothpick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21