Power Steering Fluid Question

sassafras

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I replaced my power steering pulley and bracket on my '96 today. The power steering fluid that came out of it was a dark brown type, no clue if it has ever been changed out. I replaced it with the Mopar clear power steering fluid that was recommened by the wizard in the how to guide of replacing your pulley. When I put the new fluid in I guess it mixed with whatever was in there still in the lines and it turned a milky light brown color. Is this ok? Was the PSF that was in there just old and that's why it had turned brown? Do I need to keep draining/filling the reservoir with new stuff?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Brown fluid is OLD fluid !! I usually **** ALL of old fluid from reservoir, fill with new Mopar P/S (clear) fluid, then start engine (I do ours on a mid-rise lift so wheels are off of the ground) and slowly cycle steering wheel lock to lock several times...then, stop engine and **** out all of the P/S fluid, and refill...then start engine and cycle lock to lock several times...etc. I do this for 3 refills...THEN, I do the final fill and all is well.

I would suggest that you do the same ASAP.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do the same as Steve-Indy and do so regularly. But I have Redline fluid.

Did you replace the high pressure hose? It won't last forever.

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can we use a cheaper brand of fluid for the flushes and then use the good stuff for final fill? I'm assuming the good stuff is expensive right??

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can we use a cheaper brand of fluid for the flushes and then use the good stuff for final fill? I'm assuming the good stuff is expensive right??

You're mixing the new stuff with the old stuff and moving it down into the rack, so I wouldn't use any cheap stuff for flushing. If you use Steve-Indy's method, I'd do it four or five times at least to get the old crap out. I used a turkey baster to get the old out each time....don't laugh, it works.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Redline is about $10. Even if the expensive stuff, whatever the expensive stuff is, was twice that the savings wouldn't be enough for me to justify going to that trouble.

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Redline is about $10. Even if the expensive stuff, whatever the expensive stuff is, was twice that the savings wouldn't be enough for me to justify going to that trouble.

Once again Chuckie reminds me how broke I am...:(:(:(

(((ALL HAIL CHUCK...)));)

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Advance Auto house brand meets the correct Chrysler spec (clear) and is a lot cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS