Pre-winterization surprise

BenDiem

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This past weekend, while preparing to winterize my '09 snake for its annual hibernation during the winter months, I found the metal cover that secures the battery tray to be a royal pain in the **** to remove.
1. The five screws securing the cover are a weird screw set that I can't explain... I looked in my sparse tool box and located a cheap/flimsy tool that worked. I was surprised I had the right tool. What is the proper term for this tool? I need to purchase a set of this type of tool, specifically that tool.
Whatever happened to keeping it simple by using the common phillips and/or head screws?
2. Upon removing the tray, I could clearly see through the floor pan, and I could see my garage floor. :wow: I don't recall seeing through the floorpan on my old '02 or '06, am I right? Am I missing something here?
Appreciate any feedback,

BB

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They are torx head screws. Buy the correct size/number torx bit and attach it to a powerdrill. Makes loosening and tightening much easier and faster. The '02 (Gen. II) battery mounting configuration is totally different from the Gen. III/IV. The '06 should be the same.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the screws come off and back in like they are cross threaded- its normal--- u need a driver to do this easily-- at least in my 2 cars they were like this

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, you are able to see the floor/ground in a gen 3/4 when you take the battery cover off. If you slide under the back end of your car you can see the battery above you too.

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe it is a T25 or T27 bit for those particular screws. You should pickup a set of Torx sockets with these sizes in the set, you'll eventually use most of them :p

I chuck one up in a dewalt impact driver to remove the panel in my car. I don't have access to the car atm or I'd tell you the exact size.

Here's a LINK to a set at Jegs.com for 10 bucks.

Last edited:

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I don't use the car often, almost every time I went to start it I had to boost it so I thought I would just leave the cover plate off because it was a pain in the a**. Not a good idea. I drove down the road at a good clip and all the leaves and garbage on the pavement shot up thru that opening into the interior cab and into my face. And yes they are torx screws.

OP
OP
B

BenDiem

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you all; appreciate your feedback! I will indeed order me a set of new tools...

Cheers,

BB

Konza800

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a cordless variable speed electric impact driver that I use for the lug nuts at the track. I bought a set of 1/2 inch drive torx bits and use the impact driver to remove/install the PITA screws. Very fast.

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used my Dewalt cordless last winter - took like 30 seconds to do all 4 screws, but even without sleep mode engaged and no trickle charger, my battery can sit connected and idle for a good 3 months during winter, while maintaining a strong enough charge to start right up.

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When you purchase a Battery Tender (brand) unit, they come with 2 sets of leads, the normal clip on ones and a set of bolt on leads. Both have quick connects that connect to the BT head unit.

In both my 04 and 09 Vipers, I removed the battery cover, bolted the permanent leads to the battery terminals, replaced the battery cover and routed the lead above the trunk carpet.

Now all I have to do is open the trunk and connect the Battery Tender to the exposed lead when I'm not going to drive the vehicle for any period of time.

You must be registered for see images

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever happened to keeping it simple by using the common phillips and/or head screws?

Welcome to the 21st century ! LOL !

Phillips and slotted head screws are very poor configurations for using with a powered screwdriver like they use on the assembly line, or, like many people that posted above use. The bit easily slips out of the head when there is much resistance to the screw turning.

The Torx head is an excellent solution to that problem. Now that I have the right tools, I prefer encountering that type of fastener over a phillips, especially when it is stuck in place.

seabass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
am i the only one that connected the tender terminals to the + by the engine and grounded the other end in the engine bay? my subwoofers make it tough to get to my battery.

sorry for hijack.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
am i the only one that connected the tender terminals to the + by the engine and grounded the other end in the engine bay? my subwoofers make it tough to get to my battery.

sorry for hijack.
Quite the opposite. I think most folks hook them up in the front. Its alot easier to get to the plug for sure

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess I used the trunk connection because I usually have my Z06 and Viper parked side by side in the garage, they both have trunk mounted batteries and it is convenient to run 1 extension cord to 1 spot for both battery tenders. It was a PITA to install the leads, but it is a one time only job.

FYI if you are doing the leads at the battery, make sure to use a vice grip to hold the terminal against the battery post so car does not lose power and the computer does not reset or you will be doing the ODBII drive cycle test in order to get your next emissions inspection.