Press may not be nice to the 08 viper

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be cool if the viper came with active handling. Sounds like it might be a great option to be able to turn on and off at will.

Awesome new car thats exciting to see come to the buing public.....

Magnesium paddle shifters would be cool too... just like the Mitsubishis! Yeah!

Get a grip new guy... Vipers are low tech cars. :rolleyes:

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Magnesium paddle shifters would be cool too... just like the Mitsubishis! Yeah!

Get a grip new guy... Vipers are low tech cars. :rolleyes:

Careful, tough guy. I am still researching your whereabouts. A knock on the door is coming.........:drive:

Dyno Dave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dyno Dave --

Wow, was one of them a balding fellow with glasses and a beard (Csere) and the other a younger, taller guy (6' to 6 2') with dark hair (Webster)? If so, then for Csere and Webster to make the statement that the 08 is the "fastest car we have tested" would be pretty incredible.

Only time (hopefully soon) will tell.

/Rich

Yes, that is who they were. I know who they are. We had a little discussion about Chrysler's future, the current vehicles, the new Home Depot dude and who's running the show in Engineering.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen 4'll be faster because it will be specially prepped with the latest mystery mix of Mr. Clean Auto Dry (which will hence be known as "Mr. Clean Magnum Auto Dry"), which significantly reduces aerodynamic drag.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran into a couple of writers today from C&D magazine at my new place of employment. I asked how their tests went on the '08 Viper and they said it's the fastest car they've tested. They didn't elaborate on that but I want to see the article next month.

There will be another Viper announcement this weekend at Pebble Beach. You folks WILL be interested.

I have doubts the 600hp Viper will be faster than the Enzo, Veyron, and Koenigsegg CCX...

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have doubts the 600hp Viper will be faster than the Enzo, Veyron, and Koenigsegg CCX...

Mopar --

I tend to agree; based on what I have seen posted by others and on youtube (see www.youtube.com/watch?v=A92gJu6ECcQ ), it appears that the C&D editors meant fastest ever tested on their new, so-called "lightning lap" at VIR, not fastest ever 0-60.

Even so, that's pretty impressive.

/Rich

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Technically, we don't know if it's faster then the Veyron. The C&D test was top speed only, the acceleration "test" was just an estimate. They did not do a lightning lap with the Bugatti at VIR either, so it's possible the Viper is the fastest car they have ever tested.
The Enzo was tested at 3.3 to sixty and 11.2 in the quarter, and I couldn't find a VIR lap time.
C&D has not done an instrumental test of the CCX yet, but I would be surprised if it wasn't faster.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Technically, we don't know if it's faster then the Veyron. The C&D test was top speed only, the acceleration "test" was just an estimate. They did not do a lightning lap with the Bugatti at VIR either, so it's possible the Viper is the fastest car they have ever tested.
The Enzo was tested at 3.3 to sixty and 11.2 in the quarter, and I couldn't find a VIR lap time.
C&D has not done an instrumental test of the CCX yet, but I would be surprised if it wasn't faster.

I believe a number of magazines other than C&D have done instrumented testing of the Veyron from 0-60 or, for the european mags, 0-100 kph (62 mph). I have seen results at about 2.8 sec to 60. Again, I have an 08 on order and as much as I would love it if the car could beat that time, I wouldn't put money on the Viper beating the Veyron or even the Enzo for that matter. (Hell, I would love it if the mags found that upon reaching 88 mph, the Viper had the unintended effect of bending the space-time continuum and allowing the user to travel forward or backwards in time. This would of course require the Mopar flux capacitor but I digress . . .).

Given the lack of traction control and/or all wheel drive, adding almost 100 hp to the Viper might create traction control issues which may not allow it to significantly improve its 0-60 times compared to the 2003-2006 cars. My guess (and yes, it's just a total guess) would be that the 2008s dip a little lower into the threes for times in the 3.5-3.6 range. Where the 90 extra hp will probably shine will be in quarter mile times, times over 100 mph and in track times as in the C&D lightning lap at VIR.

Based on intel from the the youtube video at VIR, it seems consistent to say that the Viper is the fastest car they have tested on their lightning lap, especially since the fastest cars they have tested thus far are the Z06 (current record holder and only car to go under 3 minutes), the Ford GT (second fastest), 997 Porsche 911 Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500, Audi R8, Lotus Elise/Exige S, Porsche GT3, etc. They have not done the lightning lap with the Veyron, Enzo or some of the other exotic cars like the Koenigsegg.

Bottom line: Can't wait to read the reviews in a few weeks!

/Rich

OKFireChief

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Guy's (and gals!) ... I attended to same meet with GCSRT8. I had the chance to ride in the 08 Roadster, a factory mule that will be chrushed (YUK!). One of the SRT Engineers was driving. The car had the new PS-2's ... We ran it around the Memphis road course. WOW, what a car.

I have a 06 VOI 9 car with Bellanger Headers and Exhaust, Aluminum Flywheel, K&N Filters and Box, X-Metal Throttle Body, DC Computer and 3:55 gears ... The 08 will leave my car in the dust in it's "stock" fashion.

B767DRIVER also attended and had a chance to ride. I can't speak to the performance numbers and our friends for SRT were tight lipped about it, but I assure you, after driving the Z06 and riding in the 08 for a full 20 minute run session, the Z06 WILL NOT run with the 08 Snake! Just one rookie's observation ...

You good folks who have a 08 on order will not be disappointed! If I did not love my White with Blue stripes color combo so much, I would buy one from Bill P at Woodhouse today!!!

Also asked to SRT guy's what we will do when the Blue Devil hits the street ... They just smiled and said, "Stand By" ...

There you have it ... It's one strong car!!! :)

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guy's (and gals!) ... I attended to same meet with GCSRT8. I had the chance to ride in the 08 Roadster, a factory mule that will be chrushed (YUK!). One of the SRT Engineers was driving. The car had the new PS-2's ... We ran it around the Memphis road course. WOW, what a car.

I have a 06 VOI 9 car with Bellanger Headers and Exhaust, Aluminum Flywheel, K&N Filters and Box, X-Metal Throttle Body, DC Computer and 3:55 gears ... The 08 will leave my car in the dust in it's "stock" fashion.

B767DRIVER also attended and had a chance to ride. I can't speak to the performance numbers and our friends for SRT were tight lipped about it, but I assure you, after driving the Z06 and riding in the 08 for a full 20 minute run session, the Z06 WILL NOT run with the 08 Snake! Just one rookie's observation ...

You good folks who have a 08 on order will not be disappointed! If I did not love my White with Blue stripes color combo so much, I would buy one from Bill P at Woodhouse today!!!

Also asked to SRT guy's what we will do when the Blue Devil hits the street ... They just smiled and said, "Stand By" ...

There you have it ... It's one strong car!!! :)

Sweet. Thanks for sharing your impressions.

/Rich

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery