PRICES.. GTS's... will the SRTs drop below?

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: PRICES.. GTS\'s... will the SRTs drop below?

Man, some of you take this stuff WAY to seriously! Sign up for some anger management classes will ya!

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Prediction.

20 years from now, if premium gasoline is below $5gal, and affordable insurance is avaliable for 400 hp, 8 Ltr vehicles...

First a GT2. Limited production, very rare. Celebrating the LeMans win.
Next an unmolested Blue/White with pace car stickers will be the hot ticket.
Next a Black RT/10
Next a Yellow GTS or RT/10
Low mileage and originality will count or huge swings in price.

So if you want to not drive, or modify your car, these are the ones to store for your kids.

If you want to drive, and enjoy a car, the SRT is the way to go.

GTS and RT/10 have huge emotional impact, currently missing in technologically superior SRT.

Hey, what about the last of the gts's, the 360 FE's? :D

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Prediction.

First a GT2. Limited production, very rare. Celebrating the LeMans win.
Next an unmolested Blue/White with pace car stickers will be the hot ticket.
Next a Black RT/10
Next a Yellow GTS or RT/10

I like your way of thinking!

SSunburn- 1 of 37 Race Yellows with stripes :2tu:

As far at the whole "new and improved" technology analogy goes..... just look at the Vette market(easily the most similar to ours) and compare the $130,000 1967 big blocks to their much "improved" $35,000 ZR-1 bretheren. No arguements as to which is the better overall performer, but try to convince a '67 owner to trade even up for a ZR-1 :p

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hear the one's with Vipair systems will be priceless. Nothing like an extra 16 rwhp to up the value. :D

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"And the comment about who will be at the BJ auction 15 years from now? Today's teenagers of course. And they will be maniacal about owning one. Especially if the economy is doing well and they are part of a prosperous generation."

We agree on one thing. That is the 16 year olds, who will be 31 in 15 years by my calculations, will NOT be the primary buyers at Barret Jackson. Have you been there? The majority of spenders/buyers are 50-70, not 30. So your wait will be more like 25-30 years. By then I will be 3 or 4 more generations beyond the SRT and still having fun. If I want to make money I will invest it in something other than a car. I mean what would I have if I invested $6,000 back in 1964 raather than buy a vette. And I would not have paid for insurance, upkeep etc.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"And the comment about who will be at the BJ auction 15 years from now? Today's teenagers of course. And they will be maniacal about owning one. Especially if the economy is doing well and they are part of a prosperous generation."

We agree on one thing. That is the 16 year olds, who will be 31 in 15 years by my calculations, will NOT be the primary buyers at Barret Jackson. Have you been there? The majority of spenders/buyers are 50-70, not 30. So your wait will be more like 25-30 years. By then I will be 3 or 4 more generations beyond the SRT and still having fun. If I want to make money I will invest it in something other than a car. I mean what would I have if I invested $6,000 back in 1964 raather than buy a vette. And I would not have paid for insurance, upkeep etc.

Oh SNAP!!

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My GTS came with 18's, and 80's mustangs had 15 & 16's. Your not funny.

[/QUOTE]

And YOU don't know how to spell YOU'RE. You guys are even.

[/QUOTE]

......or "you are", but the 87 and up cobras and saleens had 17", the gt's 16, so YOUR half right

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score

My GTS came with 18's, and 80's mustangs had 15 & 16's. Your not funny.

[/QUOTE]

And YOU don't know how to spell YOU'RE. You guys are even.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know how to spell, period. It did not hold me back in the game of life though! :D U r not funny either. :p

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

Guys - we're all part of the Viper brotherhood. We all share the common V10 heritage and each style attracts a different taste and preference. I love my old school '93 Viper - but is it perfect - no - the frickin windows are a huge PIA - but I fell in love with the style when I first saw one at the Chicago auto show in 90/91 and said to myself - some day I will own one of them. If it sits next to a GTS or SRT it still gets it fair share of positive comments.

Are my tastes changing and will I go to an SRT at some point in time - probably - but it won't be an easy decision - as I feel that the prices for the Gen 1 have bottomed out and should head north in the not-to-distant future.

Lets save the name calling for the trolls, the Viper wannabees, and Vette boys!

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So you just called a Gen 1 owner an idiot because he has a different opinion than you.

Yes. Have you even driven a Gen 3??? Do you REALIZE how much better that car is??? Comparing a Gen 1 to a Gen 3 is like comparing a prop plane to a jet! No comparison! The brakes, power, fit and finish, ammenities, seats, stereo.... where do I stop??? Don't kid yourself, kid!

-you gotta love the antiquated interior on the GTS's and that tall skinny thing they call a shifter with the ball on top......best of all is the monster 17" rims they came with, awesome, just like the late 80's mustangs

You're addicted to '**** My Ride', aren't you? Who cares if the '96 - '98 GTS's had 17' rims? That car still holds a record for one of the fasted salom times ever recorded by motortrend - Yes, faster than the SRT10. And at that time, those rims were appropriate for an extreme performance vehicle. Not only that, but '99 - '02 GTS's had 18's all around. SRT10's have 18's front and 19's back. You're right though, that 1' inch larger rear is sooooo noticeable :rolleyes:

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looking at the numbers of Gen I and II that were manufactured, it's hard to escape the conclusion that they will be incredibly valuable in 10-15 years. SRT-10s are already in the fifties; but they will come up some in the future as well.
If you've got a minty blue and white GTS, you should really think about preserving it for your old age retirement fund... Any nice Gen II should bring half a million ten or fifteen years from now...
Just my .02.

Dammmmmm..... Talk like this makes me wonder if I should sell my GTS. It's a '98 Silver/Blue (only 43 made in this color), although it does have moderate miles (37K). In 10 - 15 years I imagine it will have close to 100K on the clock, as I put about 5K per year (can't look at the car without driving). Although mileage is usually less of an issue with older cars, as it's all about condition and original parts.

I will say this.... I truly believe the Gen II's will hold there value in the coming years, if not appreciate. Why? Because NO current/near future designs (under 150K) have the sex appeal of the GTS. A Ford GT is the only car that is in the same ballpark. In addition, there is a limited supply as others have stated. Also, it was the 'Poster Car' for a generation of future buyers.

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I tend to agree that the GTS and RT/10's will hold their value and start to increase in the not so distant future. The srt-10 is nice and comfy but it lost the emotion of the older cars. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the ACR's, GT2's, FE's end up being the next Hemi Cuda.

It's pretty simple, compare both of Gary's cars. He has IMO the best looking SRT yet, but it looks mundane and almost ordinary next to the GTS. Thats what will be the death of the srt, it's just too boring.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I feel that in terms of collectability the viper will probably not become that sought after. While the viper is produced in smaller numbers(compared to many cars), frankly they have made A LOT of them( around 20,000 gen I & II). Historically most investment or highly collectable cars are produced in much smaller numbers. Some vipers will be much more desirable than others ACR, GT-1 replicas, raffle cars ect... In these terms i dont think even the final GTS's will become that collectable(far too many made) and i will also lump in the mamba editions with the final GTS cars

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I tend to agree that the GTS and RT/10's will hold their value and start to increase in the not so distant future.

HA HA HA!! That's funny! Are you saying they will hold their value at $39K? That's all he can get for a top bid! He had to start at $29k just to get interest!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6209&item=4559109808&rd=1

You must be registered for see images

What's funny is that you use ebay as a measuring stick!
My brother paid less for a used 2000 mile SRT 10 than he would have for a used GTS ACR FE car. The SRT's are nice cars but long term the Gen 2's will hold far better value.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm sorry, did ya'll want to discuss investment strategies?

I thought we were talking about GTS prices.

And no, I'm not stupid enough to go to a Barret Jackson auction. Or any other auction where reserves are allowed. I guess whoever sells mine will just have to put it in the classifieds somewhere. And I'm not waiting either.....doesn't matter to me one way or another.......I won't be alive to see it.

Oh SNAP!!

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So you just called a Gen 1 owner an idiot because he has a different opinion than you.

Yes. Have you even driven a Gen 3??? Do you REALIZE how much better that car is??? Comparing a Gen 1 to a Gen 3 is like comparing a prop plane to a jet! No comparison! The brakes, power, fit and finish, ammenities, seats, stereo.... where do I stop??? Don't kid yourself, kid!

-you gotta love the antiquated interior on the GTS's and that tall skinny thing they call a shifter with the ball on top......best of all is the monster 17" rims they came with, awesome, just like the late 80's mustangs

You're addicted to '**** My Ride', aren't you? Who cares if the '96 - '98 GTS's had 17' rims? That car still holds a record for one of the fasted salom times ever recorded by motortrend - Yes, faster than the SRT10. And at that time, those rims were appropriate for an extreme performance vehicle. Not only that, but '99 - '02 GTS's had 18's all around. SRT10's have 18's front and 19's back. You're right though, that 1' inch larger rear is sooooo noticeable :rolleyes:

-Did I hit a soft spot with the tire facts? So it is an advantage to swap wheels with the mustang guys, I didnt look at it that way. As for **** my ride, the GTS can use it on its interior, something you failed to mention, with its cardboard flat seats and its cozy fit

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score

-Did I hit a soft spot with the tire facts? So it is an advantage to swap wheels with the mustang guys, I didnt look at it that way. As for **** my ride, the GTS can use it on its interior, something you failed to mention, with its cardboard flat seats and its cozy fit

You can make fun of a rear wheel being 1" smaller all you want. The srt interior is not much better. Most people agree,(in and out of the viper community), the gts looks way better than your srt, sorry about your luck.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I paid $54k for my 1996 GTS (5k miles) with Venazno interior, borla cat-back and edelbrock headers over 5 years ago...... I think it's held it's value very well by looking at the classifieds.... I see 2002 GTS's selling for less than the 1996's....

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I paid $54k for my 1996 GTS (5k miles) with Venazno interior, borla cat-back and edelbrock headers over 5 years ago...... I think it's held it's value very well by looking at the classifieds.... I see 2002 GTS's selling for less than the 1996's....

I just paid over $60000 for my 2002 FE with 2300m, bone stock.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Paul,

A ummolested 96 B&W with pace car stickers? Never saw one. I have only seen B&W with stikers added by owners, not comming OEM from Dodge.

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can make fun of a rear wheel being 1" smaller all you want. The srt interior is not much better. Most people agree,(in and out of the viper community), the gts looks way better than your srt, sorry about your luck.

-and all people in the viper community, and the whole world, know for a fact the the srt trounces the GTS in every perfomance category, so sorry about your gts that gets spanked by the z06 vette guys lol

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

What do you have on yours...22" spinners....what a dumb young punk poser. :p

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

-and all people in the viper community, and the whole world, know for a fact the the srt trounces the GTS in every perfomance category, so sorry about your gts that gets spanked by the z06 vette guys lol

Yo, yo, too bad you apparantly don't have a GTS or an SRT. So what do you know about anything regarding their value or performance. BTW, I have not met a Z06 or a SRT that I have not beat. Also, a stock GTS still holds the top speed record over a Z06 or an SRT. Stop jacking off to "BIG WHEELS" magazine and read something educational before you start talking about cars you know nothing about. Maybe you'll learn something.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Prices of GEN I & II bottomed out a couple years ago, and have since rebounded and are going NO WHERE but UP!
Just ask around to those that Buy&Sell them. They will tell you how SOFT the SRT market is, and how Rock Solid the GTS market is. That's just the facts. The RT/10 market seems to be pretty solid too, but not like the GTS.
Does it have to due with the SRT10 styling? Most think so. Does it have to due with the SRT performance? Of course not.

Where will the used SRT10 price settle in at? My guess is $55k or so in another year or so. Under 10k miles, great shape, etc.
That's just how it is.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A good parallel is the evolution of the Corvette. An 86 Corvette is superior in every performance and technological category than a mid 60's Vette. Which one will hold it's value and which would you rather have? The SRT will be regarded in the evolution of the Viper in a similar fashion as the C4 and C5 Corvette's. Styling was toned down to appeal to a wider demographic which it did, but at the cost of long term collector appeal.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey!!! What about the last 300 side pipes.

Frank. The 96 B/W's came with a Indy 500 pace car decal package included in the price. Most owners did not install them, and you can now get reproductions. Think for collectors, and museums this will be the hot ticket.

Something no one has mentioned. I believe the SRT group is hard at work on the gen IV version. Goal is to make young children run in fear. If they can produce a winner, it will most certaintly affect the collectability of all Vipers.
It might be something like when Corvette unveiled the 63 Split window. Think it has appeciated even more than pre 63. When they installed a big block things really took off.
Think aluminum frame, carbon body, traction control, variable suspension (like magna ride), maybe even a convertable hardtop with integrated roll protection, variable valve timing with DC sourced rubber cam shaft. (saving up my money for this one)

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Devildog,

Yes the GTSR won a ton of Championships, but it was a world apart from the GTS you and I bought. The Comp Coupe is much closer to the SRT-10 and my apologies to Tommy Archer, the late Great Paul Mumford, and others, but drifting is not where it got it's claim to fame -just another area to shine. Please turn on Speed Channel the next time the World Challenge GT Series is running, and watch this throttled down ( 35% restrictor plate) Snake compete with some of the World's best SportsCars and Sedans. The brakes on the Comp Coupe are the same as the SRT-10 , except for racing pads, so even if you personally don't like the style , give the car the kudos it deserves for it's actual abilities.

Paul Mumford 3rd at Road Atlanta ( First Race in a Comp Coupe ), and 1st at Laguna Seca ( his second and last race in the Slithering Snake )
Win at Portland and Driver Championship to Tommy Archer - Comp Coupe
Rookie of the Year goes to Mike McCann - Comp Coupe
Wins at Sebring and St. Petersburg for Tommy Archer-currently 2nd in the World Challenge Series GT Standings

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Devildog,

Yes the GTSR won a ton of Championships, but it was a world apart from the GTS you and I bought. The Comp Coupe is much closer to the SRT-10 and my apologies to Tommy Archer, the late Great Paul Mumford, and others, but drifting is not where it got it's claim to fame -just another area to shine. Please turn on Speed Channel the next time the World Challenge GT Series is running, and watch this throttled down ( 35% restrictor plate) Snake compete with some of the World's best SportsCars and Sedans. The brakes on the Comp Coupe are the same as the SRT-10 , except for racing pads, so even if you personally don't like the style , give the car the kudos it deserves for it's actual abilities.

Paul Mumford 3rd at Road Atlanta ( First Race in a Comp Coupe ), and 1st at Laguna Seca ( his second and last race in the Slithering Snake )
Win at Portland and Driver Championship to Tommy Archer - Comp Coupe
Rookie of the Year goes to Mike McCann - Comp Coupe
Wins at Sebring and St. Petersburg for Tommy Archer-currently 2nd in the World Challenge Series GT Standings

What he said.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This 97 GTS is going for $35K ....
You must be registered for see images attach

This one for $39K...

This one for $32K

Checkout AutoTrader if anyone is looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi