Probably a dupe, but great Comp Coupe pics

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are some great pictures taken at the Brian Redman event at Road America a few years(?) ago. Now when this gets built, it goes in my garage...
smile.gif

http://www.snodrgn.homestead.com/NEWViperGTSR.html

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT size="20">The comp coupe is knockdown, electro-shock, tooth-pulsing, afterglow, heart-arythmia, 7-G passout, near-death-experience, loss-of-virginity, lottery-winning, in-FREAKING-credible!!!</FONT s>

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NOW THAT is what the Gen III should have looked like. I would pay soooooo much extra for that. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DC, I WANT!!!!!!!!!!

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand how that car look sooooo much meaner and better than the SRT-10??? That car actually looks nice, but for some reason I think if you put a hard-top on a SRT-10 it wouldn't come close to looking that nice.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was not the Comp Coupe but the original Show Car of the then upcoming VGX platform racing GTS-R. It was shown initially at the 2000 North Americal Auto Show (I was there with 50 VCA Illinois Region members). The Comp Coupe was based on the cancelled VGX-GTS-R. So much time and money was spent on the then future GTS-R that the Comp Coupe project was a natural recipient of some of the technology. VCA and Viper Owners had been asking for a Factory built racing only version of a Viper for years. The cancellation of the VGX GTS-R just came at the right time (so to speak) and the Comp Coupe was born.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by toddt:
<FONT size="20">The comp coupe is knockdown, electro-shock, tooth-pulsing, afterglow, heart-arythmia, 7-G passout, near-death-experience, loss-of-virginity, lottery-winning, in-FREAKING-credible!!!</FONT s>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm wit him!!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, the reason the CC looks better than the SRT-10 is:
-headlights are very different. Medium gray color with titanium rings around the lens' and the center lens is bigger than the outer one.
-front air dam MUCH more aggresive
-Medium gray rings with clear covers on the driving lights (bigger too, I think)
-Fenders DO NOT have the high peak in them like the 'tweaked' SRT fenders
-Hood scoop is aggresive, not tiny like the SRT
-More vents on the center of the hood
-IT HAS A ROOF
-Rear 1/4 panel vents break up the vette look
-Roof scoop flowing back to the third brake light is BEAUTIFUL
-Rear wing is huge but still 'fits' the car
-I love it, was it also designed by Mr. Moto from the camry team?

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's amazing how little things like that can make a car a knockout or just plain ugly... I don't think I will get a SRT, but I might consider that, if they made it look exactly like that.

91ZR1#661

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh my god!If that is what the coupe is going to look like
I am now taking offers on my wife and child!That is the meanest
and most bad-assed car I have ever seen.How would you like to
see that in your rear view mirror?
Scary.
95yellovett

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I don't get it. I've yet to see the Comp Coupe in person, but did see the SRT in person. The SRT is growing on me, but then I see these pic's & it just plain pi$$e$ me off. I don't get how DC comes up with the comp coupe & then scales back the aggressive design to do the SRT. The CC fenders, brake ducts, gas cap, hood, rear, buldges, it's a flexed muscle waiting to bash any thing on wheels, it's is undeniably a magnificent looking beast. Now, you want a vert, cut the dog-gone top off & make some mild adjustments as needed to the trunk area - just don't do anything else. I don't get how it makes sense to soften up the CC to make the SRT. I just know if I saw the CC in person I'd really blow my top, to look that good in pic's - it must absolute smoke in person. Geeesh, that's frustrating.

Dave. (Arrgh)

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy either, so what is your point? Yea, one will take a little more effort to get, but at least you get what you want. Again, to show people how looks are so subjective, I personally think that the Comp Coupe looks are the WORST of the 5 versions of Viper in existence. I still hate the rear look (looks like what those kids in California do to their cars to try and make them look fast), but I am in love with what the vehicle offers overall, a true track machine that bye comparison, is much cheaper than most options out there. For all of you that desire a GTS, the Comp Coupe should pull at your heart strings. Every time that vehicle ruins, it will be another day closer to a street coupe version actually coming to reality. This is your developmental test machine, so get out there and prove that it is worthy!

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

I think it's a little off base to say, "you can buy both, so what's your point". Not to be defensive of myself or others, but for one, the CC is race only, so I, for one, can't buy both, I'm not a race care driver looking for a race car. Second, I don't know about everyone else, but my point is that the CC has significantly more dramatic design to it, fenders, air ducts, hood, etc. IMHO, the styling of the CC is more "exotic" than the more mainstream look of the SRT. I'm frustrated in the softening of the SRT - the only viper I can buy and drive, compared to the "other viper" I can't. I know it could be argued all day back & forth that it's required in order to make it easier, cheaper to manufacture, fine, but it is frustrating to me to not get those more dramatic cues that the CC has.

I generally post reluctantly now, I don't care for the quipping we see and the SRT bashing, for me anyway. I'm also not a big fan of seeing how many different renditions everyone can electronically create (outside of some nice color, etc sort of things). The thing that bothers me enough to post is that DC has some beautiful & subtle designs that are on the CC, that I can't have on my SRT, that I would very much like to have. Bummer for me. That's my perspective.

Dave. (Arrrgh, again)
smile.gif

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, all we know for a fact is that in 2003 you can only buy an SRT/10 or a Comp Coupe. Is that not a better option than in 1992? At least you get a hint now as to what a STREET version MIGHT look like?

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

True, but everyone went ga-ga over the GEN I/II RT10. I swear, people about passed out (like a young girl in a old Beatles concert) when they saw one. This is not the case with the SRT10, so we are having a harder time being patient.

I saw the CC in person as well, and I do agree with you on the cheesey rear end. Although, this is the only area I think could be improved. Make it a little smoother and flowing, and not so kit-car looking in the rear. Other than that, I loved the car.

My .02

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by toddt:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Couldn't have said it better.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang