Proper install battery disconnect

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've decided to put a battery disconnect on my 06 Coupe. A while ago I was tracking the car and the cabin started to fill with smoke and my eyes got watery. I came into the pits and as quickly as I could I undid the battery cover and pulled the terminals off. Turned out not to be an electrical problem. The cats had gotten so hot that the insulation in the side sill started to melt. Changed to high flow cats now but it started me thinking that if there really was an electrical problem it would be damn hard to get to the battery quickly.

I've got the switch and a good mounting point but I'm not sure how to wire it in. If I just put the switch in series with the positive battery wire won't the engine still run off the alternator if I throw the switch (or God forbide a corner worker has to throw it)? I believe that NHRA requires that the engine stop when the switch is thrown.

By the way I did search but came up with some old threads with links that no longer worked. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
You can get a electric solenoid cut off kit that will disconnect the positive AND the alternator at the same time. I have one available and the best part is you can mount the switch anywhere.

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the Harbor Freight $3.99 cut-off switch in between the ground cables, after 3 years no problems. I mounted mine above the rear diffusers.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the Harbor Freight $3.99 cut-off switch in between the ground cables, after 3 years no problems. I mounted mine above the rear diffusers.

they've got 2 now $4.99 & $7.99 at the moment, i always see them on sale and was wondering if they were any good, thanks for the info

this is the high dollar one :D

You must be registered for see images

SublimEd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Be careful, I would use a high quality switch, or switch with a quality solenoid with silver contacts. Lots of current can pass thru there!
Ed