Proper Viper Break-In

Have Z Need Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My new VOIX has 600 miles and I've just changed the oil. Manual says after 500 miles---do what ya' want.

I'd appreciate any dissenting viewpoints from the erudite here on the forum.

On 'other' cars of this nature, I've always been 'kind' to the engine/drivetrain for at least a 1000 miles. Progressively seating the brake pads, allowing at least a good 20 minutes for everything to get to full operating temp, taking the RPM's and gears thru a large range and varying things, but NOT under load. Never putting the go pedal to the floorboard.

A waste of time?

Or do others feel the same, and is there anything I've forgotten to consider?

Have Snake

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The break in for the engine is about 500 to 700 miles if I remember correctly. I would say wait till about 1k miles before you get crazy with it. Break it in again.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were some very informative posts about this a while back - if you do a search, you'll quickly find them. Basically, there is a preferred break-in that gradually increases max RPMs and load as you go past 200, 400, 600 miles.

In general, I change the oil at 200 miles and then again at 600 because it's quite common for crud to still be in the block from the machining and assembly process. At the very least, change out your oil filter.

V

Venomiss

Since you purchased a new 2009 you might qualify for the year of free VCA membership.
Call JRT at 1-800-998-1110 and ask about it with Kim , Nicole, or Fiona.

That would get you much more access on this site as a VCA member/access to the illustrated sections along with many other perks.

Sorry to hijack.

Carry on!

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought what was eventually diagnosed as a "wounded" viper by my viper tech. The mothership (chrysler warranty) had the viper tech yank the motor, crate it, and ship it out to Arrow for a rebuild. The following came back with the motor and I followed it to the T.

Engine break in procedure, 1992 - 2006 Viper roadster / coupe

The following break-in procedure are suggested for any new or rebuilt engines. During the first 1,000 miles:

1. Avoid long periods of idling.
2. Wait until the engine has reached operating temperature before driving enthusiastically.
3. Check oil level at each fuel up since a new or freshly rebuilt engine may consume oil during the first few thousand miles. This is normal and not a sign of an engine problem.
4. Keep vehicle below 70 mph ( 113 kmh ).
5. Do not make any full throttle starts or full throttle accelerations.
6. Avoid driving at constant engine rpm for long periods as follows:

First 200 mile interval, light throttle run ups shifting at maximum of 2500 rpm. In addition, it is suggested to change the engine oil within the first 200 mile break-in.

Second 200 mile interval, light throttle run ups shifting at a maximum of 3500 rpm.

Third 200 mile interval, light throttle run ups shifting at a maximum of 4000 rpm.

Fourth 200 mile interval, light throttle run ups shifting at a maximum of 4500 rpm.

Fifth 200 mile interval, light throttle run ups shifting at a maximum of 5000 rpm.

So, after following the above, I changed the oil right at 1000 miles then hit the dyno. With everything stock down to the air filters it put down 475 / 500 on a superflow. I was very happy with the results to be sure :)

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
haha I remember I built up an engine for one of my old cars and my machine guy that did all the machining but I put it all together, beat on it right away (after seating the rings). He also had a 30 day guarantee. Been passed on the third person now and still runs ha.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang