PS2: 2008 setup on pre-2008's

Valentine61

Viper Owner
Reaction score
At Conner Ave. a few weeks back I was told that I should get a "2008 front end setup" on my 2006 SRT/10 when I replace the run-craps with PS2's.

I didn't have the presence of mind at the time to have him elaborate, but I suspect this is a suspension setting that optimizes the characteristics of the better tire. The Dodge dealer is unaware of such a setup. I searched the forum and don't see any notes on this topic. Any insight is appreciated!

I'm going to try to contact Conner Ave. and get some clarification as well. If I do, I'll post.

MM...

OP
OP
V

Valentine61

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We were walking by the suspension setup jig at the time of the discussion. You may be right, but I suspect there was something more to it. I've got an email in to the Assembly Lead at the factory who has helped me in the past - I'll see what he comes up with as well.

MM...

Reaction score
The softer sidewalls of the PS2 tires require more static negative camber. If you dial in .8-1.0 negative the car will track better down the road and corner better also.

OP
OP
V

Valentine61

Viper Owner
Reaction score
mjorgensen thanks, this makes sense. I suspected that the setup change was related to the softer tires. Couple of questions:

1. What is the stock camber setting?
2. Is there a Bulletin to identify the setup process that I can point our friends at the Dodge dealer to?

Thanks again.
MM...

OP
OP
V

Valentine61

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ignore my last comment - I was still sleeping... Duh!

Any dealer who doesn't know how to align for negative camber shouldn't be servicing my Viper!!!

MM...

Reaction score
Their alighment guy should be able to search under 08-09 Viper and get the updated settings for this just make sure you tell him that's what you want.

mjorgensen thanks, this makes sense. I suspected that the setup change was related to the softer tires. Couple of questions:

1. What is the stock camber setting?
2. Is there a Bulletin to identify the setup process that I can point our friends at the Dodge dealer to?

Thanks again.
MM...

OP
OP
V

Valentine61

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, some interesting research...

I got the 2006 and 2008 alignment specs from the Dodge dealer and they were exactly THE SAME!!! This cannot be so...

Then I got word back from Conner Ave. - Lo and Behold, they are not the same... the 2008 specs have changed to increase the caster and camber in the front, and increase the camber in the rear - just like Mark suggested above.

The Conner Ave. 2008 spec, which they recommend for the PS2 tire is shown in the attachment.

The difference to the 2006 spec is as follows:

Caster Front 6.00
Camber Front -0.25 Rear -0.65

Caster Front 7.00
Camber Front -1.40 Rear -1.15

All else is the same in 2008 spec.

I asked also about a FRONT toe-out spec and they did not recommend this for street driving, only for the track.

Attachments

• 2008 Viper Alignment Specification.jpg
    2008 Viper Alignment Specification.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 29

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked this same question of the SRT engineers when they had their "question/answer" session, they also said the shocks would have to be re-adjusted for the PS2s.

Reaction score
I asked this same question of the SRT engineers when they had their "question/answer" session, they also said the shocks would have to be re-adjusted for the PS2s.

For an OEM setup this is true, but there are lot's of tires out there and every time a person with any vehicle changes tire brands this would also be the answer they got, from the builders. Truth is the change in spring rate the tire has will change the cars handling but this can be adjusted for by the layman with pressure and alignment. If not possible then there would be mucho unhappy customers from the Tire Rack! ;)

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the SRT engineer chat

Originally Posted by gbatejan
What changes were made to the 08 suspension as compared to the 06 suspension with the elimination of the run flats?

The entire suspension was retuned for the new tires (springs and dampers). Alignment specs. also changed.

Originally Posted by 99 R/T 10
So it begs the question, if the 2003-2006 guys get rid of their runflats(no longer available), how can they tune their suspension for optimal performance that matches the 08/09 Vipers?

Mopar [FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold][FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold]P4510951 [/FONT][/FONT]Coilover Suspension System, 2-Way Adjustable, 2003-09 Viper SRT10 Coupe, (Non-ACR vehicles); or go all the way with the ACR conversion P5155324 ACR SRT10 Shock and Spring Package

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the SRT engineer chat

Originally Posted by gbatejan
What changes were made to the 08 suspension as compared to the 06 suspension with the elimination of the run flats?

The entire suspension was retuned for the new tires (springs and dampers). Alignment specs. also changed.

Originally Posted by 99 R/T 10
So it begs the question, if the 2003-2006 guys get rid of their runflats(no longer available), how can they tune their suspension for optimal performance that matches the 08/09 Vipers?

Mopar [FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold][FONT=ArialNarrow,Bold]P4510951 [/FONT][/FONT]Coilover Suspension System, 2-Way Adjustable, 2003-09 Viper SRT10 Coupe, (Non-ACR vehicles); or go all the way with the ACR conversion P5155324 ACR SRT10 Shock and Spring Package

You beat me to it.