PS2 or Sport cups

N

Nobody

Ok...I am still running stock tires and 10 spokes and I have some 6 spokes on order . the car is just a toy that gets driven in the summer for fun only..I drive it plenty hard when I do..but not as often as I would like... I am leaning toward the sportcups for performance but from what I have read they take a long time to heat up and a slippery until then..are they actually worse than the ps2's..I guess I am confused since they are rated so much softer...:dunno: I also like the fact that the SC's are lighter and I will be adding 2 piece brake rotors...

venomous06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PS2's if you are going to be taking trips. I have the sport cups on my car now and like them allot. Sport cups wont last long with how soft they are.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being in Southern California I have never worried about tire warm up. But on a road course track I drove the ACR on Willow Springs for the last Viperdays a year ago. The Cup tires are absolutely great on a track, after 3 track days I needed to replace the corded fronts and the rears were OK.

Well the 1st lap of the day I came out of the fast turn #9 sweeper into the front straight as I did dozens of times before in that car and got on the gas early to carry speed in the front straight (150 mph +) and I spun the rears at 95 mph. I don't know if this was because the fronts were new and the rears were worn or because they were cold being the first lap but I did a 1080. Still love the Cups :D

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok...I am still running stock tires and 10 spokes and I have some 6 spokes on order . the car is just a toy that gets driven in the summer for fun only..I drive it plenty hard when I do..but not as often as I would like... I am leaning toward the sportcups for performance but from what I have read they take a long time to heat up and a slippery until then..are they actually worse than the ps2's..I guess I am confused since they are rated so much softer...:dunno: I also like the fact that the SC's are lighter and I will be adding 2 piece brake rotors...

Agree with that!!
Would go with the PS2's. I am having a hard time just at the drag strip getting them planted. Bad wheel hop and takes long to heat up.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with that!!
Would go with the PS2's. I am having a hard time just at the drag strip getting them planted. Bad wheel hop and takes long to heat up.

So you're saying the Cups don't grip as good as PS2s on a dragstrip? I don't know, I only have experience with then road racing where they are great. Almost as good as Hoosier R3SO6s.

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer the PS2 over the PSC(pilot sport cup) on the street. I had problems keeping the PSC warm as slow traffic causes the tire to cool quickly, resulting in excessive wheel hop. I have not had the same problem with the PS2 tires. On the track is where the PSC tire shines.

-David

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you're saying the Cups don't grip as good as PS2s on a dragstrip? I don't know, I only have experience with then road racing where they are great. Almost as good as Hoosier R3SO6s.

SoCal Rebell, yeah it seems that way. I am a bit surprised. I had high hopes but I am having trouble making them grip. Not as much a problem on the street:dunno: but here in Ny the ground better be warm(read at least 60 degrees) Or I'll find myself into the closest guard rail!!

OP
OP
N

Nobody

Well tire wear is not really an issue so far as I don't drive it nearly enough to wear them out before they get too old :(..thats one of the reasons I was leaning to the softer tire..but it sounds like maybe the ps2's would be better for street sunny days?...I would like to track it ..just have not made it happen yet:blah:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with the Cups, you'll love them! They are perfect for what you've described. They also don't wear out fast either, they'll get get old and hard before you wear them out on the street. They are the same compound as the Viper specific PS-2, except they have way more rubber on the ground. Track the PS-2 hard and watch it start to chunk. It's a no brainer Sport Cups are the way to go.

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is how badly the Cups tramline on the street. I've never experienced the tramlining with the PS2's that I'm having with the Cups on my ACR. When they wear out, I'll definitely be going back to the PS2's. They are sticky though! :D:drive:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang