PS2 vs runflats

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next week I'll be a proud owner of a Red 2004. Rigt off the bat it will need new tires.

I know PS2s are about the best tires money can buy, but what happen if you are 500 miles from home and get a flat?

Does anyone stock tires that size?

How far can you really drive on runflats?

thanks,
~Jay

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few things you can keep in your trunk:

-plug kit
-pliers(to pull a screw or nail out)
-small 12v air compressor
-can of fix-a-flat(last resort IMO)(unless the tires are ready for replacement anyway)

Next time your about to replace the tires on your dailydriver you can purposely drive over a screw/nail then pull it out and practice plugging:)

Three times in the past 2 years, ive come out to the parkinglot after work to see my Viper or Truck with a flat tire. Luckily the nail stayed in and it was a very slow leak. All i did was inflate her up and drive home. Then inflate her up again in the mornin and drive straight to a shop that does the nice patch/plug from the inside of the tire:

You must be registered for see images

10SecSleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few things you can keep in your trunk:

-plug kit
-pliers(to pull a screw or nail out)
-small 12v air compressor
-can of fix-a-flat(last resort IMO)(unless the tires are ready for replacement anyway)

Next time your about to replace the tires on your dailydriver you can purposely drive over a screw/nail then pull it out and practice plugging:)

Three times in the past 2 years, ive come out to the parkinglot after work to see my Viper or Truck with a flat tire. Luckily the nail stayed in and it was a very slow leak. All i did was inflate her up and drive home. Then inflate her up again in the mornin and drive straight to a shop that does the nice patch/plug from the inside of the tire:

You must be registered for see images attach

I just sold my New & Used Tire Shop. I'd have so many people come in daily for a simple plug. Then I show them how simple it is to do. An tell there where they can buy a kit to take with them.

Typically if you inspect your tires and pay attention to sudden changes in balance and drive line. You can prevent being stranded.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What DOM said. I think PlumCrazy may be kidding with you when he says """ you can drive for years on run flats, just do it cautiously and not at speed""". That aint why we buy Vipers!

Dodge offers Seal-N-Fill tire compressor kits in many of their newest cars, under $90. Glorified Fix-A-Flat.

You are absolutely on the right track here. RunFlats that are hardened, 3+ years old, have NO safe reason to be on a Viper. Yes, you can drive fat-dumb-happy with 25-35% of normal tractiion, but WHY? If you have to 'go evasive" due to a stupid driver, an animal, or debris, you LOSE WHAT LITTLE CONTROL YOU HAVE! And bad things then happen.

PS2 or Kumho are top-choices by Car and Driver and TireRack testers. The cost per mile is about equal.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not want to drive unsafe all year just for this one time you'll have a flat tire. If this happens you won't have a good day either way, just fill it with this fix a flat stuff.

As you said yourself, PS2's are the best...

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, that is very helpful. The plug kit and air compressor idea is good. In fact, I should have thought of that myself.

When I was in line at the PG rally 2 years ago with my '68 Corvette, I saw that my tire was really low, as in, so low to be unsafe. It was late in the day, and there isn't much in Pacific Grove anyway, but I found a hardware store and bought a bicycle pump. Thankfully, the Ferrari owner behind me saw my futile attempt to pump up the tire and he let me use the little air compressor in his trunk.

Not only did I get to go on the drive, it has been two years and the tire is still fine.

Is it true that the new Vipers don't come with Run-Flats?

~Jay

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, that is very helpful. The plug kit and air compressor idea is good. In fact, I should have thought of that myself.

When I was in line at the PG rally 2 years ago with my '68 Corvette, I saw that my tire was really low, as in, so low to be unsafe. It was late in the day, and there isn't much in Pacific Grove anyway, but I found a hardware store and bought a bicycle pump. Thankfully, the Ferrari owner behind me saw my futile attempt to pump up the tire and he let me use the little air compressor in his trunk.

Not only did I get to go on the drive, it has been two years and the tire is still fine.

Is it true that the new Vipers don't come with Run-Flats?

~Jay

True, no runflats on newer Vipers (2008-up).

Do yourself a favor and do not buy runflat tires, they are terrible, and do the Viper no justice in the handling and ride department.

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, the Viper I'll be buying this week needs tires, now I know what to get.

~Jay

OP
OP
J

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just sold my New & Used Tire Shop. I'd have so many people come in daily for a simple plug. Then I show them how simple it is to do. An tell there where they can buy a kit to take with them.

Typically if you inspect your tires and pay attention to sudden changes in balance and drive line. You can prevent being stranded.

Is there a specific kit you have in mind that works well, and is easy to use in a parking lot or on the side of the road?

thanks,
~Jay

10SecSleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a specific kit you have in mind that works well, and is easy to use in a parking lot or on the side of the road?

thanks,
~Jay

You can get a basic kit at advanced auto for under 10 dollars. Which will have everything you need, you could even take a can of fix a flat for a last resort type thing. I always use a pair of side cutters to remove the item. A bottle of soapy water to locate it.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that if you use Fix A Flat, you will clog up the pressure sensor on the tire. When I switched to PS2s I bought the Gen IV Viper kit. As JonB said, it is reasonably priced.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187