Puzzler for All You Viper Experts....

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to have a 4x4 that made that sound every time the crank bearings went bad. Sooner or later it turned into a clanking sound and that's when I knew the bearing had desintegratated. Hopefully that is not it.

Have a Viper Tech you trust take a stethescope to it and see what his best guess is.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the engine RPM at the time? If it has someting to do with the rear main bearing or front bearing of the transmission, then it would be worse in 6th?

Ulysses: ..."every" time the bearings went bad? Ouch!

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like an exhaust leak to me
confused.gif

Dan Vargus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have the flex pipes (webbing) in the exhaust checked. If the webbing holes are opening up when they get hot it may be allowing exhaust noise and gases to escape. The area of the noise sounds right for this problem. How many miles are on the car and what modes are on it?
Dan Vargus/GT2-001

OP
OP
U

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom, F&L GoR said:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Ulysses: ..."every" time the bearings went bad? Ouch!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah...sounds bad, but it was an off-road thrasher that had huge tires and 250,000 miles underneath her. In the span of the 250,000 miles I had her, the bearings went out 3 times. Not bad given the abuse she took (a lot of vertical runs).

Dan Vargus said:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Have the flex pipes (webbing) in the exhaust checked. If the webbing holes are opening up when they get hot it may be allowing exhaust noise and gases to escape. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've posted this question before, but does anyone sell just the flex pipe section?

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though the differential does not seem to be the source I would check it anyway. I just burnt mine up flying back to Texas in a rush. Too busy to stop and burnt a bearing which in turn whacked the rearend. Probably won't have the wheelbearing problem affecting your differential but that's another area I would check.

Noises can be seeming to come from one area when in reality they are comming from some place totally different. It may resonate depending on which gear your in more than other gears. By the time you figure out where its comming from you have much larger repair bill to contend with.

I would check wheelbearings and differential.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">If you removed the flywheel and didn't replace the flywheel bolts with new, you could have a slightly loose flywheel. Makes more of a ticking noise though.....</FONT f>