Quaife Differential - Opinions Please

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would call Unitrax, they have what you need for a fraction of the cost for a Quaife diff.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would call Unitrax, they have what you need for a fraction of the cost for a Quaife diff.

Jerry @ Unitrax put a tuned posi in my diff for around $500.00 plus labor. I am not sure about the actual details, but there is a washer and spring combo that actuates the posi in the stock Viper rear end. With this setup, there is a certain amount of play. Also, over time the spring tension can diminish and the play becomes greater diminishing the posi traction of the rear end. Unitrax makes a washer that is thicker that more consistently engages the posi for more locking power. They also have very nice cryogenically treated axle stubs that come out of the diff. and spindles that go from the 1/2 shafts to the rear hub splines. I do not know about how this tuned posi compares to the quaife in terms of seconds per lap, but from what I remember from a conversation with Jerry was that they have very similar road race performance attributes. For drag racing, I am told the quaife cannot hold a candle to the Viper Diff. It is my understanding that the Viper diff is much stronger.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do a search on TrueTrac and Quaiffe and you will get an education.

It appears the TT and Q are pretty much the same. Both are a gear type and have no frictional components.

This is a BIG ISSUE with the 4WD crowd!

riverflyer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mendocino, on the lovely North coast of California
Who is running the Quaife differential? Is it significantly better than a clutch type? Will it also hold up to drag racing? Is it worth the money?

I am running a quaife diffy in my 540/6. It is one of the best mods I have done. The car is sc'ed and puts out 435hp which is not much by Viper standards but still puts down enough power that proper management is very important. Not much into drag racing but for road racing it is a wonderful setup and thats what this particular car is set up for. The torque biasing sets up traction to the wheel that can use it best, so you can be much deeper into the throttle much sooner in corners without disturbing the balance of the car. It allowed me to take corners at greater speeds and to come out with it all. I have only had my Viper for a bit less than a month so I am not sure how it translates but my guess is it would be a great way to get the power down quicker without losing the rear. Please let me know if you do it, as this was seriously a very productive and worthwhile mod in my experience. Hope that helps.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked with my friend who builds world class rally cars and he was so excited about discussing the superior attributes of the Quaiffe, that he was not behaving "normally!"

Further, he knew about the TrueTrac and he said that while it is a similar design, it does NOT offer all the characteristics of the Quaiffe.

In summary, he said that any adverse handling behavior that could be attributed to a differential are simply eliminated with the Quaiffe.

A big one, is that the car turns in better - a real problem across the board. With clutchs clocking one wheel to the other, you must break them free to turn in.

Around a corner, you will not spin the inboard wheel if it is in contact with the pavement.

and relatedly, if you go over a slick area on the track, the car WILL NOT KICK OUT! (this is because the wheel on the oil, DOES NOT SPIN!)

So, I'm convinced.

Problem is the $2395 from QuaiffeAmerica.

Viper and Ford 9" are this price. All other diffs are $1000 to $1500.

That's a lot of Dinero for a differential. (Guess there is no volume in the sales)

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you ever get a chance to run a car through a highspeed sweeper or a decreasing radius turn where you can floor it, and compare the 2 rearends, do it.

This is where you see the difference. The Quaiffe car will act like a drag car lined up to go straight. It applies all available traction to both wheels and its very noticable.

Very cool.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yes, I had Unitrax put my Quaife in after breaking a bunch of stock diffs.

Very different feeling, much better traction. It's been in the car about 4,000 miles now without any issues. Drags, no problems. Road course, much more predictable traction. Comes out of the corners under power MUCH better. When the wheels break loose, they are much more predictable than stock. Power actually feels like it switches back and forth at times, keeping the car straighter.

No limits on power according to Quaife. Lifetime warranty even while racing. The only thing the owner must do is keep the fluid level correct and change it every 10,000 or so, according to Unitrax.

As I understand it, some sanctioning bodies don't allow the Quaife yet due to its superior (more traction) design and performance. Great mod. Highly recommend it.

Dan

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Skip (et al) -

Does the TRu Track work on an SRT as well? The stock SRT diff makes it really hard to power out of corners and thats what I really liked about my GTS.

Also, any idea if I could get a "tuned posi" for $500? I have been holding off on the differential until winter but since its almost here, guess I better get on it.

thoughts?

j

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay, no Detroit Tru Track available for the SRT yet. No way you want to upgrade the posi, as this would cost to much, and I can tell you one thing for sure. The posi, can't even come in the shawdows of a torque biasing setup.

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Skip.

So does that pretty much mean its the quaife or stock?

To bad I can't figure out a way to just defeat that pump in there that lets the open wheel spin.

Its really a drag.

j

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quaife is terrific. One of the best track mods you can make. Lots smoother putting the power down out of corners, and it eliminates the spin, spin, lock that can upset the car in tight turns.