quality of domestics during these times

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just thinking:
Do you think quality of domestic vehicles is suffering during these tough times? I would think with all the potential layoffs, workers might just be saying "F-it" and not caring about quality at all.

Thoughts?

~Craig

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope this is not the mindset of the current American workers....interested in other's opinions :confused:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think it might be just the opposite.

These workers are fighting for their lives.

When I was in Detroit at the Viper plant, every employee from the line to inspection to the docents to the gift shop people were remarkable in their interest in providing a positive impact on the finished products.

Auto workers in Detroit have no place to go if they loose their jobs. Lots of companies laying off. Knowing a bunch of these guys, if somebody is screwing up they will confront him about it.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I was an employee, I'd work extra hard and make my best effort. Hopefully they lay off the guy beside me because he doesn't work as hard. Union would disagree with me I'm sure, but most employees will work their butts off, especially now. Wouldn't you?

Ted

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quality and engineering are probably better each year but not up to Japan's standards. Not all the fault of final assembly. Probably assembly is the least at fault. Imho is it the lower standard of parts acquired that most affects the vehicle long term. GTS Bruce

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just thinking:
Do you think quality of domestic vehicles is suffering during these tough times? I would think with all the potential layoffs, workers might just be saying "F-it" and not caring about quality at all.

Thoughts?

~Craig

This is a typical question asked by people that have always worked behind a desk.:hitwithrock: In reality, workers at GM put together outsourced parts from emerging countries. If those parts break, it looks bad for GM. In reality, GM workers are worried about keeping their jobs and reitrees are hoping their pensions will be paid. In reality, it is management that makes every directional decision for the company and not the Union workers. In reality, we are now buying whole cars from these same emerging markets like Korea now and the idea that they are better than domestic cars just makes me sick. :brick:

On a side note, demand for trucks was sky high till the credit crisis hit suddenly. Oil price soared over 60/barrel in less than 6 months. These are extreme and sudden conditions that can not be reasonably planned for.

Reaction score
This is a typical question asked by people that have always worked behind a desk.:hitwithrock: In reality, workers at GM put together outsourced parts from emerging countries. If those parts break, it looks bad for GM. In reality, GM workers are worried about keeping their jobs and reitrees are hoping their pensions will be paid. In reality, it is management that makes every directional decision for the company and not the Union workers. In reality, we are now buying whole cars from these same emerging markets like Korea now and the idea that they are better than domestic cars just makes me sick. :brick:

On a side note, demand for trucks was sky high till the credit crisis hit suddenly. Oil price soared over 60/barrel in less than 6 months. These are extreme and sudden conditions that can not be reasonably planned for.

Hyundai is making much better cars as per Consumer Reports and their 1.4 mil member surveys.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hyundai is making much better cars as per Consumer Reports and their 1.4 mil member surveys.

I am offended at this post because my best friend works at the Bowling Green Corvette plant but still, you won't catch me dead sitting in a Hyundai, Kia, or Suzuki who BTW should stick to making motorcycles. I am also offended at this post because I am a UPS Teamster myself and take offense to the stereotype of lazy Union workers. If it weren't for unions, there would be nothing left but temp agencies in the US. Nothing like working for $7 something/hr without benefits.

I am personally content with all my GM and Dodge vehicles I have ever owned with the exception of 1 1993 Dodge Shadow that had Japanese influence in engineering. I have bought used to this point and do my own maintenence and am comfortable with the simplicity and access to things like plugs, filters, and brakes and can get them easily at any auto parts store.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other day, I was behind a brand new '08 Chrysler Sebring convertible at a stoplight and one of his tail lights was not working. A brand new car!
There is NO excuse for that. No wonder we have such a band reputation for quality around the world

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other day, I was behind a brand new '08 Chrysler Sebring convertible at a stoplight and one of his tail lights was not working. A brand new car!
There is NO excuse for that. No wonder we have such a band reputation for quality around the world

To base your evaluation of build quality of all American vehicles based on 1 blown tail light bulb is just silly. :lmao::rolaugh:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Assuming that the bulb blew out after the car left the plant and the bulb probably being manufactured in Mexico or China, I agree with the above comment.

Ted

Reaction score
I am offended at this post because my best friend works at the Bowling Green Corvette plant but still, you won't catch me dead sitting in a Hyundai, Kia, or Suzuki who BTW should stick to making motorcycles. I am also offended at this post because I am a UPS Teamster myself and take offense to the stereotype of lazy Union workers. If it weren't for unions, there would be nothing left but temp agencies in the US. Nothing like working for $7 something/hr without benefits.

I am personally content with all my GM and Dodge vehicles I have ever owned with the exception of 1 1993 Dodge Shadow that had Japanese influence in engineering. I have bought used to this point and do my own maintenence and am comfortable with the simplicity and access to things like plugs, filters, and brakes and can get them easily at any auto parts store.

Where do I mention anything regarding unions in MY post?

I only posted FACTS. I don't own a Hyundai, nor would I ever own one. Though I hear the new Genesis is a well built, nice FUGLY car. They screwed their own reputation when they came to this country and built shi_ty cars.

I'm sorry, but I mainly drive well built, quality cars.

I do have a 2007 corvette (wife's car). Can't much brag about it, but it is built kind of chinzy/cheap. I did own a 1980 vette, worse car/lemon I've ever owned.

I've owned many domestics in my time, and all were bought with A-plan and GMS papers. Most were fine automobiles, some weren't.

My daily driver is a brand new Lexus LS460L built in Japan.
It is, so far -the best car I have ever owned and driven, just like the last 5 previous Lexus LS's I have owned in the past.

I also own a Toyota Landcruiser, which is a another, well built, quality vehicle.
I have owned several Toyota Landcruisers and Forerunners (SUV's), and never had a problem or issue with any of them.

The Dodge Viper is an awesome car, and I have had NO problems whatsoever (ZERO)in 3-1/2 years of ownership. The fun factor is second to NONE and I would buy again, and again.

Please review all the consumer reports, you will see which cars are at the top of the list and which ones are at the bottom, union built or non-union built, this is what consumers reported.

If domestic built cars are so well built and dependable, why don't they lead the world in sales, or at least the US, unfortunately the big three has lost market share since I left Detroit in 1976 (great license plate though) and continue to do so today.

Lexus treats me like a rock star when the car is in for maintenance service and I keep coming back because I don't have many problems with the cars, and when I do, they would comp me even if it was out of warranty, which they have done in the past. The many surveys (i.e. purchase and service) sent out to comsumers are real important to the dealers and manufacturers reputations.

Unions protect their members, but it cost the big three too much money in pensions, insurance, etc. to compete in the world economy.

My grandmother worked for the UAW (United Auto Workers-Union) her entire adult life, and she was proud to be a member.
My Uncle ran the engineering department in Dearborn for Ford.
My family is entrenched in the automobile industry in Michigan, and proud of it, and it hurts me to hear about the continuous layoffs, and how bad things are in the local economy.

I'm so sorry to say that "Detroit" is a hell hole, and when I go back to visit, its sad to see the state of disrepair in that city. I thought it was nice on devils night in the city, when they would burn down delapitated homes, because I guess vacant lots looked a lot better than vacant, rundown homes.

Reaction score
Assuming that the bulb blew out after the car left the plant and the bulb probably being manufactured in Mexico or China, I agree with the above comment.

Ted

Then they shouldn't have bought the bulbs from them in the first place, as it only hurts their reputation. I don't care who's parts or who built the car, I'm the customer, amke it right, because without me, there is no business.
Take care of the customer and they keep coming back, over and over again.
CUSTOMER RETENTION is key to a successful business.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just thinking:
Thoughts?
~Craig

IF they do exist let me know who/where so I can drag them out to nearest 4-way intersection beat them. :mad: I know of many people out of work that take pride in their work ethic that would gladly replace any said person who decides to "F-IT".

Reaction score
Most of the cars I bought were built in the US.

No, I will not buy a union built car that is less reliable than others, just because it was built by a union.

The US southern states screwed up by offering huge incentives for Toyota and Honda to build new manufacturing plants in their states and pay auto workers $18.00 a hour, compared to the midwest states who are paying workers at the big three $34.00 an hour.

Because of those great "state" incentives, it was hard for the domestic automakers in the midwest to compete with Honda and Toyota with a 50% difference in labor cost alone.

I buy quality, dependable transportation, and I'm not in the stone age saying I only buy American, since most of everything sold in the US today is built and imported here.

Try going into any store in the US and buy something made in the US, its also impossible, including our food. We like in a world economy, and the big three sell their wares around the world as well.

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just a simple counterpoint - I've owned a few Japanese and German cars, and the Japanese cars I've found to be without soul (350Z, G35, S2000) and these were supposed to be some of their top sports offerings. I never kept a single one more than a year, and the S2000 holds my record for shortest time keeping a new car at just shy of 8 months. It had cheap switchgear, a horrible uninsulated top, thin carpet and a lousy sound system.

The 2 BMWs I've owned from new include a 325XI and now an X5 that my wife drives and hates - and so do I. The quality of the Chrysler products I've owned and driven have been far superior - the SRT8 Charger probably being near the top of the list. American cars are well designed and built, and much of the world's manufacturing innovation still comes from the USA. I get tired of people jumping on the "American cars are built cheap" bandwagon without having set foot outside their Civics and Accords for years. The foreign car market has done a hell of a marketing job on us!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang